• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richard's domination of threads and wanting to have the last word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If it lasts that long.

(Yeah, yeah, I'm doing my best to make your irony come true Smithy)

cpr

International Coach
Richard easily gets the most questions directed back to him and obviously there are times when he has gone on a bit too much, but there are many threads where he's actually been the best contributor even if I haven't agreed exactly with what he's said.

AWTA. If Richard is apparently involved in tit for tat bickering that dominates threads, then thats because someone else is at it too (i'll leave you to decide who's tit, and who's tat). On quite a number of occasions i feel the person arguing with Richard is doing so because everyone knows he wont leave it, and will reply. Basically i feel some people bait poor Rich into these debates, and the good ole fella never fails to fall for it, then castigate him for replying. Remember reading a thread not long ago where Richard and Brumby were back and forth for 2 pages, but it was all done in good nature, sticking to the point, without any baiting, and finished up pretty soon with both sides saying their point and respecting each others differences and all that jazz. Thats because both posters were acting mature about the discussion, something that is lacking from some people when they get into discussions.

From Richards point of view, think sometimes he needs to realise when to say either 'fair enough, this is going round in circles, lets call it quits', or a quick 'f**k off, ****' (would personally love to see that). End of the day though, its rare i see a post from Richard that lacks any knowledge or thought behind it.

However, Richard, my personal plea is this:
Stop all the bloody birthday threads, pissing me off no end. Just do it all in one big thread ffs.

That is all.

pasag

RTDAS
Nothing wrong with birthday threads for mine, gets a little bit silly though when done for inactive members.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The irony here is abit much, you're so similar to Richard in posting habits and so much more abusive than he'll ever be.
pasag said:
Nothing wrong with birthday threads for mine, gets a little bit silly though when done for inactive members.
:yes:
I guess the other thing is that Richard has somewhat unconvential views on a lot of things that are somewhat related (although not always directly) to the topic at hand. This creates other talking points, and can often pull the discussion away from on-topic and often enough before discussion has really halted on the original topic. Whether we need to create another thread and get us mods to move the posts out of them, maybe that should be up for discussion.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't have a problem with Richard posting heaps and heaps in a lot of different threads, even if the debates do go around in circles a bit. I admire him for his persistance and I enjoy reading his views immensely.

However, I do get annoyed, if only slightly, when he brings up the same things time and time again. Reading his views about a topic and seeing him argue them to death is one thing, but reading his views about the same topic in seventeen threads and seeing him take all seventeen threads in the same direction can be a bit dissapointing. For example, the amount of times he has got into arguments about whether Ireland should be a cricket team at all or whether Bangladesh should be playing test cricket is ridiculous. I'm actually amazed that he has the patience to argue it over and over again repeating himself and I admire him for it to some degree, but it can become annoying.

I wouldn't mind if he had 99% of the posts in every single thread as long as the points he argued were different in each thread. I hope he takes this on board.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
His better then he once was, but he still brings down the atmosphere of CC a fair bit. As it is waste of time especially for newer posts to discuss anything, as he just wants to have the last say, even if he posted the exact same thing a couple posts ago.

Perm TBH is getting as bad at times.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With all due respect, there are very few issues I persist with to the point where others get bored of arguing with me. I may dominate the forum sometimes with the amount of posts I make, but they are usually on pretty different issues and arguments so I try not to keep banging on about a select few issues through different threads. That's the way I see it anyway.

David

International 12th Man
I wonder why I haven't been to cricket chat since 24/12/2004?
I make my point, and generally never return to the thread again, probably stupid, but hey.

Incidentally, 4 of the 16 threads I've participated in CC have their last post by.... Richard.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
With all due respect, there are very few issues I persist with to the point where others get bored of arguing with me. I may dominate the forum sometimes with the amount of posts I make, but they are usually on pretty different issues and arguments so I try not to keep banging on about a select few issues through different threads. That's the way I see it anyway.
Repeatedly stating a point > Abuse

Flem274*

123/5
Never really considered myself as detrimental to forum atmosphere in the same way that Richard is, even if I tend to be angrier. Would be interested to hear other peoples opinions though.
You're an angry son of a ****, but in a good way.

I've only once been in an everlasting argument with Rich. I stopped because it was very late at night and just couldn't be bothered trying to convince someone sticking to their views like a glued leech. He is a good poster though and full of cricketing knowledge and has at times gone out of his way to make a new forum member feel welcome (He's not unique in this but it's still good work).

HeathDavisSpeed

Is this thread for catharsis or something? I can't see what Perm has done to deserve such treatment. Harsh.

Anyway, as its time for catharsis...Geoff Allott is a ****. Steal Heath's space in the team will you?? You bastard! I was going to tell all in my biography, but only one copy got made and it was typed on that shiny, shiny toilet paper you only get in old people's homes. ALLOTT I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE YOU CANTABRIAN *** **** *** * **!!!!!

Flem274*

123/5
Is this thread for catharsis or something? I can't see what Perm has done to deserve such treatment. Harsh.

Anyway, as its time for catharsis...Geoff Allott is a ****. Steal Heath's space in the team will you?? You bastard! I was going to tell all in my biography, but only one copy got made and it was typed on that shiny, shiny toilet paper you only get in old people's homes. ALLOTT I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE YOU CANTABRIAN *** **** *** * **!!!!!
Transfer that to the rant thread and you may have a winner.

TBF Allott was always better in ODI's. Dunno about tests though.

Mister Wright

Absolutely got no problem with Richard. Does get annoying at times, but I generally ignore it when it gets to that point. For mine, without Richard this forum would be worse off. I enjoy getting caugt up in the merry-go-round battles, especially when people see my view and back me up...:) Which isn't all that often :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have read all these replies since my last in this thread, much to say but don't have the time at present - will post properly when I get back from work and have done today's SA-NZ report (ie, probably about 11 hours from now 8-) - ah, there we go).

David

International 12th Man
Have read all these replies since my last in this thread, much to say but don't have the time at present - will post properly when I get back from work and have done today's SA-NZ report (ie, probably about 11 hours from now 8-) - ah, there we go).
Is it really necessary to reply? :laugh:

grecian

Well, I just wish he'd not do posts which are (however unintentionally), going to cause the same old arguments, again and again. When he writes someones average as being the one without Zim and Banga. How hard is it just to state that's what it is. Because inevitably someone will say "no, wait his average is actually this", which will inevitably lead to the same old discussion. Same with First-chance average, as Goughy said, unless you're willing to do the FCA for everyone, it's meaningless. Can't he just say "I believe he's had a lot of luck". CPR talks about older posters baiting Richard, but these discussions often are with new members, who quite frankly have no ****ing idea what he's talking about.

It would also be gratifying if he didn't say things like "all intelligent cricket watchers do this", if he just stated it was his opinion, it would stop a lot of petty squabbles, imho. I believe all decent human beings should do this.:dry:

I'd also mention real names versus forum names, but Can't be arsed, because it's been done to death. Would just mention though, I've yet to read one person complain about a forum name being mentioned, whilst a number of complaints have come from using real names.

I do feel he's capable of holding grudges as well. Yet that's just my opinion. Yet no doubt he will disregard this post, because he believes I have a grudge against him. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy, tbh. Because I had no particular hard feelings towards him until he started ranting that I did.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Can people bloody sum their entire points in less the 3 lines or less. Hardly go into CC cause of this and now people bring all sorts of issues from there to here. Bloody hell.

grecian

Umm, okay.

He could be more inclusive.

He could take everyones views on board, and not dismiss anyones criticisms, because he decides they're against him.

This would, imo, help stop all threads descending into a Richard ****-fest:)

Status
Not open for further replies.