• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Youtube

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Something I've been wondering now that there are a few threads for posting Youtube videos, has any thought been given to implementing BB code so that videos can be easily embedded in posts?

I've seen some other forums where you can use [ youtube ] [ /youtube] tags with the Youtube movie code within the code to embed videos - for example, to post http://youtube.com/watch?v=yqlyaGvRcxQ, you'd write [youtube]yqlyaGvRcxQ[/youtube] to embed the video in your post.

It's not something needed, but a feature that would be cool to have. I haven't really thought about any potential negatives of it though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I second that certainly. Would be great to use vid tags the way we can use IMG ones.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would be good, not sure but might there be bandwidth issues?
Well it'd load from the youtube server, so it wouldn't sap cricketweb's bandwidth if that is your concern. It would, however, cripple dial-up users. I was one myself until very recently and rarely bothered to click on YouTube links unless I was particularly interested due to the time it took for them to load - it'd be ridiculously annoying for those on dial-up if forum pages attempted to load them automatically. An option in the User CP to turn it off could solve that, though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It would, however, cripple dial-up users. I was one myself until very recently and rarely bothered to click on YouTube links unless I was particularly interested due to the time it took for them to load - it'd be ridiculously annoying for those on dial-up if forum pages attempted to load them automatically. An option in the User CP to turn it off could solve that, though.
Yeah very good point. Youtube doesnt have an option where you can stop a video from loading if it is embedded unless you close that window. I for one use a plugin and so can select what I want loaded but 99% people wouldn't be using such a thing.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Well it'd load from the youtube server, so it wouldn't sap cricketweb's bandwidth if that is your concern. It would, however, cripple dial-up users. I was one myself until very recently and rarely bothered to click on YouTube links unless I was particularly interested due to the time it took for them to load - it'd be ridiculously annoying for those on dial-up if forum pages attempted to load them automatically. An option in the User CP to turn it off could solve that, though.
Don't you have to activate the controller first and then press "play" for the video to start?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly have any YouTube embedded vids I've seen on any site anywhere (though that's not that many).

pasag

RTDAS
So is there any definitive answer as to whether they start loading as soon as you open the page of the forum or only when you click play?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm sure you can stop them loading. I know if I was in work it just wouldn't load up, as it'd be disabled.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Nah, they only play when you click play, but they're being downloaded as soon as the page is opened up.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Must be different on different computers or operating systems or something. When I'm actually on youtube, the video will start to load as the page is opened up. But when I'm reading an article on say, SMH, where the video is embedded in the article, it only starts to load after I press play.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I've asked over at the vBulletin forum guys - will report back when I hear something :)

cameeel

International Captain
On a similar note, it wouldn't be good for those on small usage limits. My download cap is only 400MB a month, so to have video files automatically loading in CW threads would have a pretty big impact on my downloads. Agree with your point about the User CP option, would be grouse.