• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richard's jest posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't get it. He posts any thing. Then he adds a jest line below it. It translates to 'I don't mean it.' more than any thing. What is the purpose of these posts and what does it bring? What does this post or this post mean? It is fair enough then that a lot of members don't like such posts. Case in point: 1, 2. A lot of the times, he even makes these posts without the jest line below them only to say later that those posts were in jest causing unnecessary disruption in the forums.

Is it time to tell him to stop posting these nonsense posts or is it okay?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
IIRC, he started putting the disclaimer at the bottom when he returned in January, feeling he'd been stung too many times before when he had been joking but everyone thought he was serious. The one that sticks in mind most is a thread where someone posted the top 10 innings (in terms of runs) and discounted each one, funny post, Richard responded by discounting his arguments; it was intended as a joke but he got jumped on.

I guess he feels nowadays that he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he puts the disclaimer on, people have a go at him for it, but when he doesn't, and then claims he was joking, he also gets jumped on.:unsure:

Fiery

Banned
IIRC, he started putting the disclaimer at the bottom when he returned in January, feeling he'd been stung too many times before when he had been joking but everyone thought he was serious. The one that sticks in mind most is a thread where someone posted the top 10 innings (in terms of runs) and discounted each one, funny post, Richard responded by discounting his arguments; it was intended as a joke but he got jumped on.

I guess he feels nowadays that he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he puts the disclaimer on, people have a go at him for it, but when he doesn't, and then claims he was joking, he also gets jumped on.:unsure:
Why doesn't he just not post if he's ever in doubt about how people will interpret his post. Easy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why doesn't he just not post if he's ever in doubt about how people will interpret his post. Easy.
Yeah but surely he should be allowed to post if he wants to? Just because his sense of humour differs to that of others doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to use it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How is it humorous? When he writes in the end of the post, this post is in jest, it can only translate to 'I didn't mean it.' because it is not funny at all.

If say a random thing to you, and then write this post is in jest, it won't translate to any thing. It basically is just a post which was not intended. Why should such a post be accepted in the forum then when it, from the post writer himself, it was not intended. It is not as if the post makes any sense. It doesn't have an ironical style or content to say some of Marc's posts.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Don't know why it bothers people to be honest it's one line at the end of a post, there are more important things in life.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Jest" isn't always the accurate way of putting it because it's not always "joke" as such; "I didn't literally mean what I said here" would indeed be a better way of putting it. However, as that sounds unutterably lame I tend not to go for that.

And Jack: trust me, the smiley route doesn't usually work for me, I know that from historical evidence.

Either way, I'll try - again 8-) - to convey more often when I'm not being 100% serious in a post.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Frankly, the use of the word 'dire' is much more infuriating to me that the 'jest' thing - although the needless lengthening

of a post

by putting in loa

ds of blank lines

for no real reason

is

even more annoying.

Bobisback

International Regular
Frankly, the use of the word 'dire' is much more infuriating to me that the 'jest' thing - although the needless lengthening

of a post

by putting in loa

ds of blank lines

for no real reason

is

even more annoying.
Then why the **** did you just do it.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It became more of a thing when Richard would say something complete ridiculous or obviously wrong and then he'd use some line about it being a joke later on when we all knew he meant it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It became more of a thing when Richard would say something complete ridiculous or obviously wrong and then he'd use some line about it being a joke later on when we all knew he meant it.
No, you just thought I meant it. Believe it or not, I know better than you what I mean and what I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.