• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Re Josh's closed thread.

Are we to assume that threads and/or posts discussing certain anatomical features in any context will be closed/reprimanded?

Cheers.

PY

International Coach
In all fairness, the last post in that is far from following forum rules and the rest was borderline.

Now I know you're just trying to create trouble but I have to say, is there any real need? :p

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure why you'd assume I'm trying to create trouble. As the title suggests, I'm asking for clarification. James clearly stated that the thread itself was inappropriate, not just the responses. I wouldn't have had any problem had the thread been closed due to the responses, as some of them were obviously inappropriate.

PY

International Coach
Hmm, nice to know the mods don't take anything seriously. gj guys.
Haha that's what I meant in my post. You've made such an off-the-mark remark that I don't know whether to take you seriously.

If you change your post to "Hmm, nice to know that PY doesn't take some things seriously. gj guy." then I reckon you're right.

And Adam, are you really bothered about that thread being closed? Honestly?

James will have to answer the question himself but the response weren't appropriate so I don't see what the problem is with closing it, even if the reasoning wasn't 100% perfect in your eyes.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
And Adam, are you really bothered about that thread being closed? Honestly?
Completely beside the point. As I said in my previous post, I thought some of the replies went beyond the boundaries set by the forum rules and would have had no problem if the thread had been closed on that basis. As it happened, James stated that he didn't regard the thread as appropriate; the whole point of this thread is to clarify exactly why that is the case. It's not so much the fact that that particular thread was closed, more so that threads (not just that one) seem to be closed in a capricious and arbitrary manner with little or no explanation. It doesn't actually affect me at all, it just seems exceedingly silly.

Haha that's what I meant in my post. You've made such an off-the-mark remark that I don't know whether to take you seriously.
I'll take issue with this again - not sure why you've chosen not to take this thread seriously (I realise you're responding to Smith specifically, but there's a clear implication that my post was in the same vein). As far as I'm aware I don't have a history of 'stirring up trouble' and haven't otherwise given any indication that the thread was not intended to be taken seriously. Granted my first posted was mildly sarcastic, but that was more a response to what I thought was a harmless thread being closed rather than a desire not to have my own post taken seriously.

Anyway, I hope this post will be taken seriously and replied to rather than the usual approach which consists of a token line or two which doesn't address the topic at all followed by the thread being closed.

PY

International Coach
Completely beside the point. As I said in my previous post, I thought some of the replies went beyond the boundaries set by the forum rules and would have had no problem if the thread had been closed on that basis. As it happened, James stated that he didn't regard the thread as appropriate; the whole point of this thread is to clarify exactly why that is the case. It's not so much the fact that that particular thread was closed, more so that threads (not just that one) seem to be closed in a capricious and arbitrary manner with little or no explanation. It doesn't actually affect me at all, it just seems exceedingly silly.
Fair enough. Are there examples of these threads you speak of? I don't notice a lot of stuff because I don't browse OT much & there's a fair few spam ones that show up on my radar.

Adamc said:
Granted my first posted was mildly sarcastic, but that was more a response to what I thought was a harmless thread being closed rather than a desire not to have my own post taken seriously.
And that's what I picked up on and responded in kind with a serious comment then a joke throwaway effort that wasn't meant to be used as ammunition. I didn't actually think you'd be serious about something like this. For that, I apologise and hope you find what you're looking for.

Adamc said:
Anyway, I hope this post will be taken seriously and replied to rather than the usual approach which consists of a token line or two which doesn't address the topic at all followed by the thread being closed.
James might be able to give you an answer. :)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough. Are there examples of these threads you speak of? I don't notice a lot of stuff because I don't browse OT much & there's a fair few spam ones that show up on my radar.
I haven't got any specific examples in mind and I don't intend to go digging for them. I don't think it's beyond the realms of credibility to suggest that this isn't the first thread to be closed on an arbitrary basis though.

And that's what I picked up on and responded in kind with a serious comment then a joke throwaway effort that wasn't meant to be used as ammunition. I didn't actually think you'd be serious about something like this. For that, I apologise and hope you find what you're looking for.
Fair enough, though I'm still not sure why you don't think it's something I would be serious about. The thread content itself was trivial, but unless it's blatantly obvious (e.g. spam) I think there ought to be some reasonable explanation as to why he thought the topic was inappropriate. It's his forum so he can close threads for no reason at all if he wishes, but as long as the pretence of fairness and consistency is being maintained I think it's a point worth arguing.

James might be able to give you an answer. :)
Hopefully. I'll reiterate for his sake that I'm only concerned with the topic being deemed inappropriate, not some of the replies.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thing is, it basically had died out anyway, posting in it to close it has brought it right back up again.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Family forum basically, that sort of discussion is just not on, and I knew even before I opened it what sort of responses it was going to get and I was 100% correct. I would have closed it straight after the first post if I had seen it.

That was what I was referring to when I said thread and posts.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Okay, but ignoring the posts in the thread itself, it was said in the closing message that the thread itself was "inappropriate". Perhaps so holy a concept as a "family forum" is beyond my ken, but I'd have imagined that discussing a news item was pretty much standard fare, even if that news item is a mildly disturbing one.

I can understand the thread being closed given the policies of moderation we usually see on this site, but the idea that the thread itself was inappropriate is clearly a major extension (no pun intended) of the sort of stuff we usually see.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I found the whole idea absolutely disgusting TBH, and wasn't sorry to see the thing closed.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I found the whole idea absolutely disgusting TBH, and wasn't sorry to see the thing closed.
And? I'm not interested in reading about SS's hunting habits, but his thread doesn't get closed. The point is trying to work out why the thread (as distinct from the posts following the original) was inappropriate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do Manan's hunting habits disgust you though?

I mean to say, being anti-hunting is hardly unusual. Heck, I am myself, hugely so. But I don't have to be reminded of it by the thread-title every time someone posts in it.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You have to be pretty piss-weak or have literally no sense of humour to get offended by the thread title that was used for showing us this news story.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I certainly wasn't offended, but just reading the title did make me feel mildly sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.