• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Richard recently accelerated his post count ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm a member of the "Richard Appreciation Club". Top bloke. I think he does a fine job as a staff member. As far as his (high) post count, I think it's good for CW. People like Richard and SS keep the boards alive. Their posts get other members to respond and engage in debates. Nothing wrong with that.
Agree 100%, Richard = Gun.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably retaliation for Richard referring to him as EXD.
Well, I have no idea what the history of that particular name is, but it doesn't seem any different from the fact that Richard calls SP "EXD" all the time.
I thought the 'Motson' came first? At least how I can remember...
It most certainly did, I'd never have remotely considered conceiving EXD but for "Motson".
It's really quite innocuous IMHO. John Motson is the BBC's main football commentator, who is quite nerdy & stat-obssessed (which I suppose is the Richard reference), but is generally fondly-regarded in football circles.

EXD (Elitist Xenophobic Dimwit IIRC) is probably more of a slight, even if the second adjective may possibly have at least some substance regarding Scaly's one-man comedy monologue about The Arse & Terence in particular.
And that's such nonsense it beggars belief. As with Swervy, you are letting your attitudes to John Motson cloud the issue. It's very clear that the perpetrator of the "Motson" towards me had a different attitude towards John Motson - he's stated his extremely low opinion of him several times, and referring to me as "Motson" is an assault on my person and absolutely nothing less.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He has let it go tho. As he said you've been on his ignore list since your lastest return to CW.
No, since his 4th or 5th day. And he uses (and bags-on about ignore-lists) more than anyone - way more, in fact.
Whenever I see a post from Scaly there's as often as not a comment from you. You don't like each other; we've got that. You're just labouring the point now.

That's hardly mature or healthy towards the forum atmosphere, is it? Let it go! Scaly's forever taking plop about a football team I support & I (usually) manage to ignore the bait.
You should know by now that if I see a post I disagree with, I reply to it. Rob made an excellent point earlier in this thread that it can seem personal - it's not. It just so happens that *a certain someone* talks a load of crap IMO very often.

I don't agree with the excessive use of ignore-lists - and many people (le, for example) use the tool of relentless bashing of a common trait in order to point-out that it's a bad one. I don't see that my "ignore-list material, that is, surely" posts have anything wrong with them.
TBF only one (no names, no pack-drill) has really been the source of any discontent from what I've read & that has been discussed ad naseum elsewhere.
FFS, Simon was nearly banned, too! His situation was no different to mine, other than that he responded to the threat that was sent his way - I didn't check my email. Had I done so a ban would not have been enforced on my account as I'd have had the chance to apologise.

And equally, most have stated many times that the GMs aside from Pete and Jack are pointless. Not saying whether I agree or disagree - here is not the place to discuss it - but it HAS been said and I'm surprised you've missed it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pardon for me going off topic, but can anybody show me that thread if it exists?
It did happen, but it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick. I never remotely intended to accuse Matt of racism, and I wouldn't have been banned if I'd have had the sense to check my email. And anyone who doesn't believe that should ask James - I was given a chance to respond, but didn't realise I had been given it.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
No, since his 4th or 5th day. And he uses (and bags-on about ignore-lists) more than anyone - way more, in fact.

You should know by now that if I see a post I disagree with, I reply to it. Rob made an excellent point earlier in this thread that it can seem personal - it's not. It just so happens that *a certain someone* talks a load of crap IMO very often.

I don't agree with the excessive use of ignore-lists - and many people (le, for example) use the tool of relentless bashing of a common trait in order to point-out that it's a bad one. I don't see that my "ignore-list material, that is, surely" posts have anything wrong with them.
So a bit of your beef with him is that he doesn't want to get into arguements with him? :wacko:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
And that's such nonsense it beggars belief. As with Swervy, you are letting your attitudes to John Motson cloud the issue. It's very clear that the perpetrator of the "Motson" towards me had a different attitude towards John Motson - he's stated his extremely low opinion of him several times, and referring to me as "Motson" is an assault on my person and absolutely nothing less.
It's hardly offensive, is it? Far less an assault on your person. Jesus, hyperbolise much?!

If he started calling you "Dick", which wouldn't be a huge leap given your name & surname, you'd have a point as that would be offensive. With "Motson" you don't. Sorry.

So you do something because you do it? Congratulations, I think you've possibly found the world's thinnest argument.

& moreover a fair bit of the time you aren't disagreeing with him, you're just having a go. FWIW I agree Scaly talks crap some of the time, but surely it's easier to ignore it than reply every single time?

FFS, Simon was nearly banned, too! His situation was no different to mine, other than that he responded to the threat that was sent his way - I didn't check my email. Had I done so a ban would not have been enforced on my account as I'd have had the chance to apologise.
I think he was banned in all honesty, however briefly, but James recanted because of the work he does for WCC. Anyway, that's beside the point, I haven't seen too many people having a go at Simon since he became a mod because of how he's moderating, which was my actual point originally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So a bit of your beef with him is that he doesn't want to get into arguements with him? :wacko:
Presuming that last "him" was intended to be "you", well, that's not the best way of putting it, it's not me particularly - it's the general way he bangs on about "ha, you're on the ignore list, so you are now worthless"... then puts or tries to put half the forum on there just because they've had the temerity to disagree with him a few times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's hardly offensive, is it? Far less an assault on your person. Jesus, hyperbolise much?!

If he started calling you "Dick", which wouldn't be a huge leap given your name & surname, you'd have a point as that would be offensive. With "Motson" you don't. Sorry.
Assault on the person is a turn of phrase, nothing more, and you know it. No hyperbole whatsoever.

I don't find Motson offensive at all - I couldn't give a **** about his opinion of me. He's perhaps the only CW member (apart from SW\BLE) who I genuinely don't care in the slightest what he thinks of me.

The important thing is that calling me "Motson" IS an insult, because of what he's using the term to imply. Not a slightly-eccentric-but-loved commentator, because that's not his opinion of him. It might not be an insult if you called me it, but it is when he does.
So you do something because you do it? Congratulations, I think you've possibly found the world's thinnest argument.

& moreover a fair bit of the time you aren't disagreeing with him, you're just having a go. FWIW I agree Scaly talks crap some of the time, but surely it's easier to ignore it than reply every single time?

I think he was banned in all honesty, however briefly, but James recanted because of the work he does for WCC. Anyway, that's beside the point, I haven't seen too many people having a go at Simon since he became a mod because of how he's moderating, which was my actual point originally.
As I say - here is not the place to discuss moderation. Indeed, it's probably not the place to discuss what we're discussing at all. I'd like to continue, I feel we'd both gain something from discussing it - so if you wouldn't mind giving me your email address, or if you'd rather email me, my address is in any piece written by me on the front page.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Whoosh!"

What does that mean? You're too witty for me Eddie - no really.

Unless you mean scoring points...

No, not me. I'm not like that :D.
SP's a top wordsmith. He's a league Scrabble player (county, IIRC) therefore if you were describing Scaly as a 'top bloke' I naturally assumed you were referring to his prowess with the lettered tiles - perhaps you were (the 'scoring points' quip might suggest that's the case).

Incidentally, does anyone know what the collective noun for Scrabble players is?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As I say - here is not the place to discuss moderation. Indeed, it's probably not the place to discuss what we're discussing at all. I'd like to continue, I feel we'd both gain something from discussing it - so if you wouldn't mind giving me your email address, or if you'd rather email me, my address is in any piece written by me on the front page.
I disagree, I expressed no personal opinion on any of the mods, merely stated that only one has really been negatively received from what I've seen & didn't name the mod in question anyway. Although, tbf, I did say it wasn't Simon.

My email's in my profile, but I don't think there's anything to be gained from discussing it further TBH. I just wish you'd bite the bullet & let some things go sometimes.

Tom Halsey

International Coach

Disagree. It's what Scaly means by it that matters IMO, and he does mean it as an insult. Besides, I'm yet to meet a footie fan that doesn't dislike Motson (personally). EDIT: I do agree that Richard should let it go though.

I should mention here that I like both Scaly and Richard.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I disagree, I expressed no personal opinion on any of the mods, merely stated that only one has really been negatively received from what I've seen & didn't name the mod in question anyway. Although, tbf, I did say it wasn't Simon.
I didn't say you'd expressed anything - just that discussing moderation in general on the forums is always risky because even if you don't say something, someone else can.
My email's in my profile, but I don't think there's anything to be gained from discussing it further TBH. I just wish you'd bite the bullet & let some things go sometimes.
I was expecting that to be your attitude. But I honestly can't see that happening, and I'd very much like to try and get you to understand the situation in geneal a bit better than you seem, to me, to do at the moment.

And unless I'm much mistaken, you can't get email address from profile. :huh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Disagree. It's what Scaly means by it that matters IMO, and he does mean it as an insult. Besides, I'm yet to meet a footie fan that doesn't dislike Motson (personally).

I should mention here that I like both Scaly and Richard.
Really? Wow. I think the consensus is that he's not as good as he used to be, but I don't know anyone who dislikes him & I know a lot of football fans.

Obviously, Scaly uses “Motson” in a slightly pejorative way, but I still don't think you could seriously clas**** it as offensive.

Moreover, it suits him perfectly. :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.