• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smilies and sigs!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
First meant to ask this about 2 years ago when I saw amz's sig with :laugh: in it.

Why are smileys not allowed in sigs?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Are smilies not different though?

I've always presumed they use a different type of image-generation.

I mean, the reason for graphics in general being banned is obvious - size restrictions, otherwise you could just have any number of massive images in your sig.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I mean, the reason for graphics in general being banned is obvious - size restrictions, otherwise you could just have any number of massive images in your sig.
I don't think smilies work significantly differently from the world filter... images are blocked from sigs so I'd say that's the reason. I doubt it's been done deliberately... just a byproduct.

Rich2001

International Captain
Probably has to do with the fact that no graphics whatsoever are allowed in sigs.

I believe if you turn off images on the sigs, all images get disabled.

You are correct in the above - unfortuantly simlies are just little pictures, they just have quick add feature rather than having to type out the url to the image.

There's no real way of spliting them from normal images so they come under the same disabled label.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Actually, you should be able to allow smilies while disallowing images quite easily. They appear to be seperate options, although they are quite vague in their wording - "Non Forum Specific Areas" basically means signatures. God knows why they don't just call it "Signatures". But yeah, the options to allow IMG and/or smilies can be found under vBulletin Options > User Profile Options.

I always thought they were disallowed for other reasons - to cut down on load-times, possibly, or because people abused the option by including too many smilies. Maybe using certain smilies extended the height of sigs too much... no idea, really, but those are the only reasons I could think up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
^^^^Worth looking into?

I for one think smilies in sigs would be a great idea - if someone abuses it, just go down the Shounak route! :laugh:

James

Cricket Web Owner
I always thought they were disallowed for other reasons - to cut down on load-times, possibly, or because people abused the option by including too many smilies. Maybe using certain smilies extended the height of sigs too much... no idea, really, but those are the only reasons I could think up.
You got it Daniel.