• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne/BingLeeElectric etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Although I was first to notice that post, I looked over his other posts and I'm pretty sure he isn't Alex, unless he is deliberately posting significantly differently (in which case he doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment anyway).
Clean at the moment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Seriously - have you ever seen anyone else make the utterly ridiculous assertion that beef-eating will invariably make you stronger?
Yes, yes I have actually. I know someone personally who has said it on occassions - and he's certainly not Alex Kumar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK. I actually know a guy (the guy I go to the gym with, amazingly enough) who says something similar to me quite often, but never in the Indians<Pakistanis context.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rich Twyman also has the ability to ban. Neil had it for a little while.
Camps had it too.

I don't think it's a particularly poor system as it is though. So what if it takes James a few days to get the ban button pressed? We all know who the trolls are, so why not just ignore him/her/them? Two hands to clap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because we all know that that's not how it happens. Nor is that entirely something which can be blamed on posters - all sorts of new posters aren't going to know that the thread-starter is a new SW\BLE.

Added to the fact that some are better than others at spotting SW\BLEs.

IMO it'd be better if the latest identity could be banned as soon as some responsible person with the power (and not neccessarily all the GMs - I'd guess nibbs would be banned on the spot if you gave it to Simon, for instance) spotted it. I'm not criticising the current system, if that's the way it has to be that's the way it has to be, but I don't think "ignore him" is going to work.

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
We could ban the IP range but then anyone else who has that ISP provider would also get banned as a result, and we don't want that :)
An alternative to this is simply to send any member who registers with an IP in a certain range to the COPPA group where the account has to be admin-approved before being allowed to post. We had this for 59.95.*.* and it did the job brilliantly ;) Obviously won't work too well for a wide range of proxies. All that's needed is a simple php modification to the register.php file.
The trouble with the cookie option mentioned is that it can be easily overcome simply by clearing cookies. Anyone who knows how to use proxies will know how to do that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... without wanting to speak too soon we seem to be relieved of a certain recurring member for the time being... :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Because he ruins the forum atmosphere. I thought he might show his head during the WC. Worst poster.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Everyone's far from perfect. There's a reason SW\BLE's been banned (and banned repeatedly). He seems to care about little other than championing Afridi and throwing crap at English players. That's far more than an "eccentricity". I probably post about a wider subject range than most on this place, not just 2 subjects. I can't believe you could even remotely consider comparing the two of us.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought he might show his head during the WC. Worst poster.
TBH, I think it was more showing his head because of that irresistible "why do you like England losing?" thread. That "Clown Roy" account was created last month - presumably just before or after his Ross D one was banned. I seriously think he just can't stomach the idea of the mods getting one over on him, and has to have an active account, whether he's posting or not. And eventually there's something he can't stop himself responding to.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Everyone's far from perfect. There's a reason SW\BLE's been banned (and banned repeatedly). He seems to care about little other than championing Afridi and throwing crap at English players. That's far more than an "eccentricity". I probably post about a wider subject range than most on this place, not just 2 subjects. I can't believe you could even remotely consider comparing the two of us.
It was clearly a joke Richard. He implied that GIMH meant you when he said "he" and then defended you - as a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.