• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Racist"

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is an accusation being thrown around far too much on the boards at the moment I believe. Fair enoguh when it's justified, but even respected members are using the term anytime someone expresses an opinion that is any way in disagreement with subcontinental or Islamic opinions.

IMO something needs to be done about it, alas I am only a member, so what do the mods and admins think, am I overreacting?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Supressing the right of respected members to call people racist? I just think this is a racist plot for those racist non-asian cw members to get away with more racism.

WOLF!!! No wait, I mean RACISM!!!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
This is an accusation being thrown around far too much on the boards at the moment I believe. Fair enoguh when it's justified, but even respected members are using the term anytime someone expresses an opinion that is any way in disagreement with subcontinental or Islamic opinions.

IMO something needs to be done about it
, alas I am only a member, so what do the mods and admins think, am I overreacting?
I agree, it's been going on for ages on CW and even longer in real life. If anyone wants to sling mud effectively the first thing that comes out is 'racist'. For other things of that severity you need some proof, but it seems it's perfectly acceptable to cry racist without evidence whatsoever - like what happened with Hair.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Some posters do bandy the accusation about rather too easily for me. Loathe as I am to agree with Scaly, but some of the things said about Hair on here have been borderline libellous.

I don't have too much time for Hair, but calling him a racist on what is (at best) circumstantial evidence doesn't sit easily with me.

grecian

Blimey, I have to say I agree with Scaly:huh:

Its got very tiresome on this board, IMHO.

pasag

RTDAS
Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it's not. But in general I think this is where the mods are getting things wrong. They care more about the actual words said, as opposed to the meaning behind it. If someone says '****' or '****' or '****', meaningless words, they may be banned, however using a term such as 'racist', whilst not a swear word but is so much more hurtful will usually go unpunished. I think its just a general flaw in the system here that if you can insult someone without using 4 ****'s you're fine, but once you say ****, however harmless your post, you're gone ala Ash Chaulk.

That being said sometimes the label of racisim is justified (not in the case here though, that guy must be given 7! if there is any sort of consistency on this forum). However there is a big grey area in racially charged political debates where one side will argue those who have a certain line of thinking are racist without actually accusing anyone or any member of racisim, yet many members in that thread have taken that 'so called racist' stance on the issue and there is that implication. It's a hard one tbh.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I think many people use the word Racist in place of biased or bigoted or even someone stereotyping and generalizing without really thinking about it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It certainly is used too much, but I'd rather not encourage the mods to crack down on anything with the way things are going at the moment. I'd rather not see someone banned for expressing an opinion, even if it's a stupid one.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
^ i feel some racist vibes towards the mods comin of you....

*post reported*.. wont have this type of behaviour in a forum that is built on idealogies of harmony blah blah.

Son Of Coco

All the people who are bandying about 'racist' name calling on here are doing is reducing the power and effect of their claims and undermining any argument they're trying to put forward through a complete lack of credibility.

Darryl Hair's racist; anyone who disagrees with them is racist;...give us a break.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:

IMO something needs to be done about it, alas I am only a member, so what do the mods and admins think, am I overreacting?
I agree. Something should be done.

James

Cricket Web Owner
GeraintIsMyHero said:

As always, report the post(s) and let the mod team handle it and/or if you wish to discuss anything bring it up with a mod on MSN or email moderators@cricketweb.net

Craig

World Traveller
Son Of Coco said:
All the people who are bandying about 'racist' name calling on here are doing is reducing the power and effect of their claims and undermining any argument they're trying to put forward through a complete lack of credibility.

Darryl Hair's racist; anyone who disagrees with them is racist;...give us a break.
Without naming names we all know a few members who do this.

Slow Love™

International Captain
GeraintIsMyHero said:

I personally think that around three or four posters are clearly abusing the term. In Bhupinder Singh's case, it is almost pathological.

I don't know that I would describe any of these offenders as "respected members" though.

BTW, it also irritates me that if somebody from the subcontinent takes the time to try and mount a sensible argument that explains their viewpoint, they are irrationally dismissed as "biased", I assume on the sole basis of where they're from - or their ethnicity, take your pick. If somebody's not going to bother countering an argument when making this charge, it raises some interesting questions as to how they see other people here.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I've made this point to James on a couple of occasions. It's gotten to the point where I just don't bother participating in any threads where Islam or Asians are being discussed. That's disappointing because those topics are interesting, and the main reason I joined up in the first place was to participate in some rational debate. Naivete on my part, I guess.

I also find it quite odd that one of the worst culprits has posted in this thread, supporting a crackdown.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
16 tins of Spam said:
I've made this point to James on a couple of occasions. It's gotten to the point where I just don't bother participating in any threads where Islam or Asians are being discussed. That's disappointing because those topics are interesting, and the main reason I joined up in the first place was to participate in some rational debate. Naivete on my part, I guess.

I also find it quite odd that one of the worst culprits has posted in this thread, supporting a crackdown.
I am sure that is about me. Those topics are interesting for sure, but the general tone of those threads is very insulting and attacking towards Islam and hence my reponsese which may be considered very rude and aggresive at times and I make no apologies for that.

Matteh

Sanz said:
I am sure that is about me. Those topics are interesting for sure, but the general tone of those threads is very insulting and attacking towards Islam and hence my reponsese which may be considered very rude and aggresive at times and I make no apologies for that.
Two wrongs do indeed make a right.