• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swear replacement

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
On another forum I frequent, instead of having ****'s they have it set so swear words are automatically replaced by the words of moderators choice.

For example, the s word is simply replaced by crap (so if someone types the s word in their post, it gets replaced by the word 'crap' when they hit reply). The F word is replaced by fudge (used to be the literal ***ual-intercourse but it got too odd) etc etc.

Could we look at doing the same? It'd cut down on all the stars in posts.

Downside is 'passion' might be taken from posts or quotes from players and whatnot, but I think it's better than the ****'s and the rather boring 'controversy' over all this ban/swearing thing.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I don't mind either way. I've had both used to good effect at forums I've been a part of. My personal preference as a replacement for "the f word" is "smurf" for comical reasons, but nobody shares my sense of humour so I don't think people would go with that. ;)

Would be interesting to see what the majority of people prefer though (****'s or replacements) before jumping to which word, of course.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha. That'd be hilarious if they implemented such a system, honestly. When the exact same meaning is there, why is it less "offensive" to be called a "fudging pile of crap" than a "****ing pile of ****"? Is the offence really in the precise arrangement of characters?

Honestly though, go for it. The whole concept is so stupid that it wouldn't really make much of a difference, and whatever results in fewer people getting banned works for me.

Loony BoB

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Haha. That'd be hilarious if they implemented such a system, honestly. When the exact same meaning is there, why is it less "offensive" to be called a "fudging pile of crap" than a "****ing pile of ****"? Is the offence really in the precise arrangement of characters?

Honestly though, go for it. The whole concept is so stupid that it wouldn't really make much of a difference, and whatever results in fewer people getting banned works for me.
I think what Thomas is getting at isn't so much the insults - if someone was to insult someone using those words they'd probably still get warned - but more so when people are just posting other things, for example... "****ing awful bowling" or something would be changed to "smurfing awful bowling" at other places that I go to. It's not as much to take away from what's warnable, but more so to just to 1) lighten up the place and 2) take away the ugly look of starred out words.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:

7, give him.

I'm guessing crap is a bad word in James' eyes.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
James has been known to bring out the c-word himself on occasion, so I'd say it's acceptable.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
I like this idea.:thumbup1: Seen it in other forums and it works for me. But I don't like swear words at any time. Excessive use of profanities makes me think it shows a bit of lack in the vocabulary.
(What did LE always say when he said something a bit controversial? Runs for the door.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:)

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I've recently joined a cricket forum that uses cricketers' names instead of swear words. B******s is Gojo's, s*** is Gillespie, ars* is Bradd Hogg, c*** is Ponting, the milder c word is Weedy Read, w*** is Ian Bell, t*s**r is Stephen Fleming, t*** is Ganguly, f*** is Shane Warne & f****r is Warney :laugh:

Last edited:

luffy

International Captain
Anna said:
I've recently joined a cricket forum that uses cricketers' names instead of swear words. B******s is Gojo's, s*** is Gillespie, ars* is Bradd Hogg, c*** is Ponting, the milder c word is Weedy Read, w*** is Ian Bell, t*s**r is Stephen Fleming, t*** is Ganguly, f*** is Shane Warne & f****r is Warney :laugh:
What an awesome idea and have B****** as Darell Heir:laugh: Get it, Get it, didn't think so.