• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Live commentary from Cricket Web?

Dravid

International Captain
Would be a great addition for the site. Doing commentary like Cricinfo or Cricbuzz for Cricket Web user. Maybe someone who is watching the match on T.V. could write up commentary on CW while the match takes place.

Your Thoughts?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be hard to do tbh. First of all, CW pays nobody (including James), so someone would be giving up pretty much a whole day to do almost nothing else except write it out. And then there's the fact that there's already Cricinfo and Cricbuzz out there.

It's one of many things that James would have liked to introduce and I have spoken to James about it on MSN the answer was too hard to do and not enough willing people to do it.

Saying that It is Possible that It will be done for the World Cup Semis and the World Cup Final.

This was done last time I think as well but only for the final.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We tried it for the World Cup in 2003 SF & Final - it was very difficult to keep up with and we're not sure there's the interest to go with it again. As has been said, we're all voluntary and have jobs/studies/both to hold down at the same time.

It would be nice to do it for the WC in 2007, but I don't know how much interest there'd be.

Dravid

International Captain
Well you guys didn't have as enough members back then so interest couldve been hard to get, but now with over 9,000 members, I'm sure someone might be able to do it. I think we should highly consider it for the upcoming World Cup

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
We tried it for the World Cup in 2003 SF & Final - it was very difficult to keep up with and we're not sure there's the interest to go with it again. As has been said, we're all voluntary and have jobs/studies/both to hold down at the same time.
For difficult, read all but impossible!

I remember sharing 25 overs spells with LE - absolute nightmare!

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
For difficult, read all but impossible!

I remember sharing 25 overs spells with LE - absolute nightmare!
Yeah I shared a simalar amount with LE and it was a nightmare because the Indians had two spinners flying through their overs before the rains came! - If we could create a system to help it wouldn't be too bad but last time we had to update all the information ourselves in less than 30 secs - (and isn't likly to be done until we do live scoring regulary, it would be a pretty large coding project just for the odd match)

Doing score, delivery discription, batsman scores, bowlers figures etc without the possiblity of a single break was tough work.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think that if (when?) we do it again, we do it as end-of-over/wicket updates like the BBC or Guardian do - also lets us enter in to correspondence with readers and also take the mickey out of other mundane things going on in dead games inbetween times.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If cricketweb can organise a media pass and a laptop I could easily do it for games at the 'Gabba.

Here's hoping anyway...:D :p