• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Censor stuff and moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jamee999 said:
Being a moderator is like being a referee. The best ones don't get noticed....
Yes, but only if the 22 players in the pitch play to the rules can the referee not get noticed.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Probably just saying what other people have said, but I really don't see then need to add the words Chaulk posted to the filter. I cbb to talk about whether or not Chaulk deserved banning for it but those words aren't offensive at all.

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
This reminds me of the way that nine year olds look through dictionaries for naughty words.
that was so legendery, I remember cracking up with mates in last year of primary school over words like neuken(dutch word for ****ing) and homo n stuff...

I bet Chaulk got himself a dictionary to get to these gems, cuz he wouldnt have the brains to think of them himself

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
No, its an act of solidarity and protest at the way our comrade was banned for making a lighthearted comment, without even a warning and with no prior record. Wouldn't expect you to understand though.
Light Hearted comment ? Sorry if you are talking about the post Scaly posted, it doesn't look like a light hearted comment from anywhere.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
That's because you don't know the bloke. That's his everyday language.
If that is his everydayday language then some people are better off not knowing him.

Besides, what is the point in running amok the forums, why not tell james, 'James, you dont know the bloke, that's his everyday language.'

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One of the things I've always enjoyed about CW is that it is fairly tightly moderated. I'm a member at Planet Rugby (although haven't been on for years), but the absolute lack of moderation eventually too much for my taste, it basically turned into a peeing contest with various unsavoury persons perfecting their internet hardman personae.

Without wishing to sound too much like an old hippy, I like CW because we're a fairly broad church, cater for most tastes & generally get on fairly well. There does seem to have been a crackdown lately, I personally hadn't seen an increase in what might generally be described as adult content, but it's obviously not my call to make.

Certain members do seem to have issues with LB, these may predate his ascension to mod or not, I dunno, but the needle has clearly escalated somewhat with TF now strewn with the corpses. He definitely seems like James’s enforcer now (the Martin Johnson of the mod team) & what is taken as his overzealousness obviously rankles in some quarters. I do hope (the old hippy bit again) that common ground can be found cos some good posters have been banned &, ultimately, it's the posters that make CW what it is.

I'll echo the concerns of others about the swear word filter; d-ick & p-rick are two that I think should come off; I remember once trying to type my conscience had been p-ricked & finding it had been filtered. With tighter moderation hopefully some of the words currently verboten that do have legitimate uses can come off.

Ultimately, of course, it all rests with the boss fella. We’re under a dictatorship, but hopefully a benign & enlightened one. :)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
One of the things I've always enjoyed about CW is that it is fairly tightly moderated. I'm a member at Planet Rugby (although haven't been on for years), but the absolute lack of moderation eventually too much for my taste, it basically turned into a peeing contest with various unsavoury persons perfecting their internet hardman personae.

Without wishing to sound too much like an old hippy, I like CW because we're a fairly broad church, cater for most tastes & generally get on fairly well. There does seem to have been a crackdown lately, I personally hadn't seen an increase in what might generally be described as adult content, but it's obviously not my call to make.

Certain members do seem to have issues with LB, these may predate his ascension to mod or not, I dunno, but the needle has clearly escalated somewhat with TF now strewn with the corpses. He definitely seems like James’s enforcer now (the Martin Johnson of the mod team) & what is taken as his overzealousness obviously rankles in some quarters. I do hope (the old hippy bit again) that common ground can be found cos some good posters have been banned &, ultimately, it's the posters that make CW what it is.

I'll echo the concerns of others about the swear word filter; d-ick & p-rick are two that I think should come off; I remember once trying to type my conscience had been p-ricked & finding it had been filtered. With tighter moderation hopefully some of the words currently verboten that do have legitimate uses can come off.

Ultimately, of course, it all rests with the boss fella. We’re under a dictatorship, but hopefully a benign & enlightened one. :)
Hear hear. Champion poster speaks.

Loony BoB

International Captain
After a bit of time outside of OT and with yourself not involved in the CW Dev League, I'm now fast starting to see why you won the CW Members comp, Brumby. :p Great post.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'll throw in a few comments, but a forum annoucement will be made some time soon (24-48 hours) and there will be changes in the forum rules so I'll keep it short.

BoyBrumby said:
The mod team have been in 100% agreement in every decision made and every banning made. It just so happens that Daniel (LB) was around and dealt to it.

Like other mods have said, the words in the filter are being discussed and may or may not be changed/removed.

Everyone Needs to Settle Down,

It's Obvious that an offence has been committed and as a result the rules and regulations have became if you can say tighter this is all Daniel is doing following those rules so it makes the forum a better place.

The one other point is some of the people supporting the people who have been banned are some of the other offenders as well who a lot of the time go over the top seriously though make this the end of it as soon as the forum members come back who have been banned get on with how the forum is supposed to run and don't ruin it for everyone else

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
BoyBrumby said:

Another top post.. :)

Regarding adult talk - I have noticed on occasions and felt fit to raise it. It is not to an extreme extent though but I thought it was being unmoderated at large. I will do my part and report posts where I find them. The input was constructive and not a complain against the mod team.

Status
Not open for further replies.