• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Censor stuff and moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks for your kind words guys. :shy:

I did indeed resign the other day, and shall probably drop totally out over the next few months. I've noticed that to be able to do moderating now with CW as it is, you need the time to read through pages and pages and pages of posts to get the complete story on some occasions and then try and make a balanced decision. IMO, CW needs a couple of English timezone mods more as Neil and Liam don't really moderate much anymore due to time constraints.

I haven't had the time over the last few weeks to do the reading and responding required nor do I foresee having the time to do that in the future so thought it best I jump ship.

Anyway, thanks again for your posts and I refuse to cry. :cry: :p
Thank you for your service PY, it was great being a member of this forum in the knowledge that you were a moderator.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I did indeed resign the other day, and shall probably drop totally out over the next few months. I've noticed that to be able to do moderating now with CW as it is, you need the time to read through pages and pages and pages of posts to get the complete story on some occasions and then try and make a balanced decision. IMO, CW needs a couple of English timezone mods more as Neil and Liam don't really moderate much anymore due to time constraints.

I haven't had the time over the last few weeks to do the reading and responding required nor do I foresee having the time to do that in the future so thought it best I jump ship.

I see you've got your large :D back to celebrate the occasion, too, no longer needing the hardman Mod image. :p

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

Worst bloke.

(YES, YOU KNOW THE REST!)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Bump.

I have a serious question (though I expect it to not be answered and have this thread closed, but whatever).

Why is it taboo to discuss public moderation policies on a public forum? I don't get it, what are you so afraid of? Or is it just because you know nobody could seriously be ****ed emailing you?

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'd guess because debating the issues involved in public would bring about the very thing the mods are trying to avoid - threads going off-topic in a non-constructive uninteresting way, lots of angst and recriminations, and generally ruining the tone of the forum. If you can't be arsed emailing the mods about it, it obviously isn't particularly important to you?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Threads going off topic in uninteresting ways are the basis of this forum, unless you think extremely poor attempts at puns for 7 pages constitutes good reading. And unless I'm quite mistaken, the tone of OT is pretty **** because people are annoyed that they're not allowed to discuss perfectly public issues.

I might care about something enough to make a few posts about it but bugger me if I'll bother writing an email which would probably takes ten times as long and have absolutely no effect.

Matt79

Global Moderator
This forum is a lot more than pun-threads, but even they are much more interesting than the "You told me I was being a bad boy. You guys used to be cool, but now you all suck so I'm going home" type sooks, or the arguing about moderation policy.

I agree with most of what Fuller said in the 'Bye Bye CW' thread, but honestly, its not that hard to get on with the mods here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why is it taboo to discuss public moderation policies on a public forum?
Because it encourages bandwagon-jumping. I agree with Fuller's point, TBH, about it the fact that problems have occurred here and that here is the easiest place for most of us to discuss it, but doing so will just, as has already been said, mean the same things are said over and over.

This whole matter is fast becoming ridiculous and I'm beginning to think it'd be best if everyone just dropped it, frankly. You (not just directed at Smith but everyone) are not going to win any battle you try to wage against the Mods, but things will calm down eventually - they always do. And if too many people don't go OTT, things will be back to normal before long.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
All the petty squabbling that's been going on here in the last while.
Also all these kiddies taking their ball and leaving because things aren't being done the way they want it. It seems the average age of the forum has dropped to under 10 lately.
Joining and posting on a forum is a privilege not a right. If the forum wasn't created by someone, there would be no place to join and post.
One agrees to abide by the rules and accept the moderation when one joins. Crying and throwing ones toys out the cot when ones little feelings get hurt, after being the cause of it happening in the first place, is so silly and just plain boring for the adults here.
If you want to leave, just go. Creating threads to explain why, is just wasting space. Who cares? If you have particular friends here, let them know your reasons on MSN or by e-mail.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Also all these kiddies taking their ball and leaving because things aren't being done the way they want it. It seems the average age of the forum has dropped to under 10 lately.
Joining and posting on a forum is a privilege not a right. If the forum wasn't created by someone, there would be no place to join and post.
One agrees to abide by the rules and accept the moderation when one joins. Crying and throwing ones toys out the cot when ones little feelings get hurt, after being the cause of it happening in the first place, is so silly and just plain boring for the adults here.
If you want to leave, just go. Creating threads to explain why, is just wasting space. Who cares? If you have particular friends here, let them know your reasons on MSN or by e-mail.
Haha yeah, if you've got young kids, I'd go and talk to them instead. Might get more intellectual output from them.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Because it encourages bandwagon-jumping. I agree with Fuller's point, TBH, about it the fact that problems have occurred here and that here is the easiest place for most of us to discuss it, but doing so will just, as has already been said, mean the same things are said over and over.

This whole matter is fast becoming ridiculous and I'm beginning to think it'd be best if everyone just dropped it, frankly. You (not just directed at Smith but everyone) are not going to win any battle you try to wage against the Mods, but things will calm down eventually - they always do. And if too many people don't go OTT, things will be back to normal before long.
Since when it became about winning or losing ? Is that the reason you almost never criticize the moderation team(infact you keep defending them) because you dont want to end up on the so called losing side ?

Well not everyone thinks like that, at least not me. For me its not about winning or losing battles, but about voicing my opninon about decisions that I feel strongly about regardless of what the owner or the moderators think about my opnion and that I will end up losing the battle. And I am not a band wagon jumper either, I speak for myself and never get persuaded by what others say or feel and never persuade anyone to make an opninon about anything.

I do know that if it was about winning and losing the battles, I would always end up losing it, I have surfed enough Internet forums to know that. Just because I will end up on losing the battle should not and does not stop me from offering my criticism or opinion about an issue because it does affect things. Btw, just to enlighten you, my opinions have not always been negative, infact this is probably the first time I have spoken against any decision.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think that's the best way of looking at the issue. Yes If a forum wasn't created by someone there would be no place to join and post, but at the same time if there were no members posting here, it wouldn't be called a forum.

As for the bold part - Completely Agree.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Let me just remind everyone what we said here. This isn't going to be allowed to be brought up across the forum again and again and in the end it isn't going to benefit anyone.

A decision has been made by the moderation group and it will be stuck to. It's come to the stage where I have to say If you don't like it, leave, it's as simple as that.

jot1 said:
What jot1 says is what I've been wanting to say for a long time, and Matt79 is 100% correct in the reasons why it is done that way.

The treatment of pasag especially by certain members has been down right rude and disgraceful. If anyone deserves an apology, it would be him. I would remind people that all the moderators are volunteers, and without them this site wouldn't exist. Regardless of how anyone feels about a decision, they don't in anyway deserve the type of abuse they cop.

All emails sent to moderators@cricketweb.net are responded to I would also add, so if for some reason anyone wants to respond to this post, do so via this email address. Anymore posting about this topic across the forum will result in a warning or a ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.