• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Milestones

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never think of the compression\shortening of names as abbreviation, TBH. Mathew to Matthew or Richard to Rich isn't an abbreviation AFAIK, and nor should cover drive man or tooextracool to cdm or tec be AFAIK.
Mathew isn't compression or shortening, it's just as it is.

Shorterning Cover Drive Man down to CDM is clearly an abbreviation, because it's the equivelant of just using someone's initials.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mathew isn't compression or shortening, it's just as it is.

Shorterning Cover Drive Man down to CDM is clearly an abbreviation, because it's the equivelant of just using someone's initials.
And using initials is considered abbreviation? I never have myself, but I don't know what various people think about it.

Matteh

And using initials is considered abbreviation? I never have myself, but I don't know what various people think about it.
Well it's borderline Acronymism in this case, as his name isn't literally Cover Drive Man.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
In order to be an acronym, the abbreviation has to be pronouncable as a word, eg. NATO. Otherwise it's just that, an abbreviation (or initialism, if you want to use a more specific term). That's why "TLA" isn't particularly clever.

cover drive man

International Captain
So Az (if Arunava can be shortened to that) would be an abbreviation? :huh:
I think that would just be counted as a nickname with my username as Cover Dive Man My initials (like name initials for random example James Nixon would be JN) are shortend down to make cdm. There is only one word in Arunava and there isn't even a Z in it it is not counted as an abreviation.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I think that would just be counted as a nickname with my username as Cover Dive Man My initials (like name initials for random example James Nixon would be JN) are shortend down to make cdm. There is only one word in Arunava and there isn't even a Z in it it is not counted as an abreviation.
Hehe, cover dive man :D Is that like putting a cloak on Christiano Ronaldo?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seems I've just crossed 35,000... barely notice it these days, TBH. Might be a small celebration when I take the top spot from Marc.

And I don't even need to worry about him working those sorts of comments up into what they're not at the moment! :D

Matteh

Seems I've just crossed 35,000... barely notice it these days, TBH. Might be a small celebration when I take the top spot from Marc.

And I don't even need to worry about him working those sorts of comments up into what they're not at the moment! :D
You'll rent out the village hall and have a drink to The Final Countdown on the day that happens, can see it now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are better songs TBH. Though it might be appropriate in such a situation.

A-Ha and Take On Me would be better - as that's both appropriate and impossibly awesome.

Perm

There are many things about Marc's departure that are a shame. But I categorically won't miss his non-stop accusations in my direction of being morbidly fixated with my postcount.
I just disliked the fact you were almost rejoicing in marc's absence, which I thought was in bad taste. I admit I was not fond of those accusations, some of them apt and some of them not, but I obviously interpreted your post in the wrong way.