Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Ashes thread in Cricket Chat

  1. #1
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793

    Ashes thread in Cricket Chat

    It worked so well the last time and provided one of the best threads we have seen in cricket chat. The Ashes sub forum isn't really seeing that much activity. Most of the threads which have been created - would work well in an official tour thread. A few threads like predictions etc can of course be created (again, like last time).

    Most people don't visit the Ashes sub forum and thus the lower levels of activity there. Jason raised the issue as well a few days back and it is a divided opinion on this from the polls.

    Another aspect would be cricket chat becoming almost dormant during the Ashes with Champions Trophy before it and then Ashes getting centre stage despite a couple of series on then.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,596
    The reason James created the subforum was to separate out the chat because it was getting silly with Ashes threads.

    It also prevents the situation we had last year where people were starting new threads and the kept having to be merged with the one thread (or closed)

    I don't see any reason to change it back.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  3. #3
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    I do know the reason it was created and that you prefer it as it is. I do see less activity though and less of the series feel we usually have as a result of it among the other reasons I mentioned.

  4. #4
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,596
    It is 2 months away - England have only just named their side and there is plenty of Cricket in between now and then (in fact England have literally only just playing a fairly tight and exciting series with lots of twists and turns that has somewhat kept the interest owing to events on, off and around the field)

    Is it any surprise that that is what is being discussed more than a series that is a way away?

    No it isn't.


  5. #5
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Look Marc, you have put across your point. Now please let others put across theirs..

  6. #6
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Just got this idea.. maybe this can be done - one Ashes thread in cricket chat. If people want to discuss specific issues, they can create specific threads in the Ashes sub forum. So both places have activity.

  7. #7
    Cricketer Of The Year Burpey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,584
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Is it any surprise that that is what is being discussed more than a series that is a way away?
    That is one of the most convoluted sentences I have ever read. My head is still spinning.

  8. #8
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Yeah put it in CC imo.


    That's cricket chat, Chaulk.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  9. #9
    PY
    PY is offline
    International Coach PY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    10,736
    I'm thinking sticky a re-direct in CC for people who are used to using CC but newbies can use the sub-forum because it did get a little messy last time around with people starting threads every time a century was scored.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

    - Stephen Currie

    "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,834
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    I'm thinking sticky a re-direct in CC for people who are used to using CC but newbies can use the sub-forum because it did get a little messy last time around with people starting threads every time a century was scored.
    Great minds think alike huh, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing

    As Marc said, the creation of another forum for the Ashes will allow for much greater discussion without pushing general cricket chat off the radar.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    And Just to be Cool I was thinking the same haha!

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,799
    We already have 2,299 posts on the Ashes.

    By this time (mid-May 2005) last year, we had about 550.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

  13. #13
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    I'm thinking sticky a re-direct in CC for people who are used to using CC but newbies can use the sub-forum because it did get a little messy last time around with people starting threads every time a century was scored.
    A much better option as it would give the sub forum more visibility. I would still prefer say an Ashes Tour thread (regardless of which forum) instead of say separate threads for each test apart from the various other threads.

    Any way, my part is to throw in suggestions and then whatever is decided by consensus is always cool with me.

  14. #14
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    I'm fairly interested in the Ashes, and didn't even notice the Ashes sub forum until a couple of weeks ago.. Was wondering why there were so few threads in CC
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  15. #15
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Dave had the best idea in the Ashes sub forum thread. Making it like the prediction league.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The man who revolutionised cricket
    By C_C in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 15-06-2011, 11:23 PM
  2. Biggest plodders in international cricket history.
    By Camel56 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 26-07-2010, 02:34 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 02:53 PM
  4. Domestic cricket goes live on FOX SPORTS
    By Haddin in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 16-05-2006, 08:28 AM
  5. 20/Twenty Cricket: A Survey.
    By NZTailender in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •