• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes thread in Cricket Chat

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It worked so well the last time and provided one of the best threads we have seen in cricket chat. The Ashes sub forum isn't really seeing that much activity. Most of the threads which have been created - would work well in an official tour thread. A few threads like predictions etc can of course be created (again, like last time).

Most people don't visit the Ashes sub forum and thus the lower levels of activity there. Jason raised the issue as well a few days back and it is a divided opinion on this from the polls.

Another aspect would be cricket chat becoming almost dormant during the Ashes with Champions Trophy before it and then Ashes getting centre stage despite a couple of series on then.

Thoughts?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The reason James created the subforum was to separate out the chat because it was getting silly with Ashes threads.

It also prevents the situation we had last year where people were starting new threads and the kept having to be merged with the one thread (or closed)

I don't see any reason to change it back.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I do know the reason it was created and that you prefer it as it is. I do see less activity though and less of the series feel we usually have as a result of it among the other reasons I mentioned.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is 2 months away - England have only just named their side and there is plenty of Cricket in between now and then (in fact England have literally only just playing a fairly tight and exciting series with lots of twists and turns that has somewhat kept the interest owing to events on, off and around the field)

Is it any surprise that that is what is being discussed more than a series that is a way away?

No it isn't.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Just got this idea.. maybe this can be done - one Ashes thread in cricket chat. If people want to discuss specific issues, they can create specific threads in the Ashes sub forum. So both places have activity.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Is it any surprise that that is what is being discussed more than a series that is a way away?
That is one of the most convoluted sentences I have ever read. My head is still spinning.

PY

International Coach
I'm thinking sticky a re-direct in CC for people who are used to using CC but newbies can use the sub-forum because it did get a little messy last time around with people starting threads every time a century was scored. :p

James

Cricket Web Owner
PY said:
I'm thinking sticky a re-direct in CC for people who are used to using CC but newbies can use the sub-forum because it did get a little messy last time around with people starting threads every time a century was scored. :p
Great minds think alike huh, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing :)

As Marc said, the creation of another forum for the Ashes will allow for much greater discussion without pushing general cricket chat off the radar.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
PY said:
A much better option as it would give the sub forum more visibility. I would still prefer say an Ashes Tour thread (regardless of which forum) instead of say separate threads for each test apart from the various other threads.

Any way, my part is to throw in suggestions and then whatever is decided by consensus is always cool with me. :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'm fairly interested in the Ashes, and didn't even notice the Ashes sub forum until a couple of weeks ago.. Was wondering why there were so few threads in CC

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Samuel_Vimes said:
We already have 2,299 posts on the Ashes.

By this time (mid-May 2005) last year, we had about 550.
Posts compared to how many could have been posted this time around in my humble opinion. :p

James

Cricket Web Owner
Langeveldt said:
I'm fairly interested in the Ashes, and didn't even notice the Ashes sub forum until a couple of weeks ago.. Was wondering why there were so few threads in CC
You need to put some glasses on :p

James

Cricket Web Owner
PY said:
This isn't possible unfortunately so I've done it another way.