• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slowness and Adverts

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Site's been pretty slow today, is there any particular reason for this?

Also how come the adverts are sometimes for other cricket forums, is this an necessary consequence of google ads or can you stop certain adds from showing? Think its called the county cricket clubs forum or something

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Slowness might be related to this, not sure. Actually probably not, that seems to be related only to some Aus and NZ users. Dunno about the adverts.

Rich2001

International Captain
superkingdave said:
Site's been pretty slow today, is there any particular reason for this?

Also how come the adverts are sometimes for other cricket forums, is this an necessary consequence of google ads or can you stop certain adds from showing? Think its called the county cricket clubs forum or something
The ads are basically keyword related so hence why sometimes other cricket sites appear - We can remove them from the cycle, so next time it pops up make a note of the ad/url and we will get rid of it. :happy:

As for the speed could be any number of reasons, being the end of the week/month - there could be a back up script running, that generally slows things down a fair bit. I'll keep an eye on it for a while and see if anything shows up.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
James, I'm still having pretty big issues with access to CW. And it always seems to happen around the same time: 3 - 4:30pm Melbourne time. Also, the "Favourite Song of the Week" thread takes ages to access, and often times out for me.

pasag

RTDAS
AussieDominance said:
well atm Jack i can tell you that there is a very high server load and that is what is causing the slowness
Haha, seriously you have got to be the most annoying person ever.

James

Cricket Web Owner
vic_orthdox said:
James, I'm still having pretty big issues with access to CW. And it always seems to happen around the same time: 3 - 4:30pm Melbourne time. Also, the "Favourite Song of the Week" thread takes ages to access, and often times out for me.
I'm aware of it thanks Jack, and know the cause, am going to look into other ways of doing it to reduce load.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Yeah, it's fairly often terrible for me, although I don't know if there's any direct correlation to times of the day on my end.

It's not as bad as it was, say, back in January, when it got so bad either posting or just reading that I eventually stopped visiting. IIRC, Shounak was having similar problems back then.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, it's fairly often terrible for me, although I don't know if there's any direct correlation to times of the day on my end.

It's not as bad as it was, say, back in January, when it got so bad either posting or just reading that I eventually stopped visiting. IIRC, Shounak was having similar problems back then.
If you can post on here, or let me know when it's slow via MSN, Google Talk, that certainly helps.

Slow Love™

International Captain
James said:
If you can post on here, or let me know when it's slow via MSN, Google Talk, that certainly helps.
Sorry mate, I don't do MSN or any of the chat progs. But if it's useful, it's happening right now. What tends to happen is that I'll sporadically get through, or I won't. So I'll have a block of say, half an hour where I can barely get through. But for a three minute window within that, I can happily load posts very quickly with no problems whatsoever.

I can usually tell within about five seconds whether I'm going to fail loading a page or not. Weirdly, an ongoing attempt by the browser to connect once it's been delayed is almost always fruitless. But I can have some success if I stop that request, and hit "go" to try again.

It's obviously quite a long-term issue, so I don't know if it can be resolved. But it seems weird that Aussie posters seem to be victims much of the time. Are your servers in NZ, or in the US?