• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

pics on front page

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I can't help but noticing that on the front page of the website, the pictures aren't exactly well, good. If you're looking for CW to compete with websites like CricketNext and one day Cricinfo, then there needs to be decent pics of players etc.

Rich2001

International Captain
Armadillo said:
I can't help but noticing that on the front page of the website, the pictures aren't exactly well, good. If you're looking for CW to compete with websites like CricketNext and one day Cricinfo, then there needs to be decent pics of players etc.
Are you refering to the little news ones?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Armadillo said:
It's impossible for Cricket Web to compete with Cricinfo on the basis of media. This, simply because the likes of Cricinfo are commercial ventures that hire professional photographers, who not only dedicate professional time to photography, but also have professional equipment at their disposal and get paid professional salaries.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Armadillo said:
Get your camera and get snapping - all contributions gratefully received.

Rich2001

International Captain
Armadillo said:
Are there any inparticular you are refering to? as just looking through them they all seem close, clear and the player is easily identifyible?

Luckyeddie said:
Get your camera and get snapping - all contributions gratefully received.
As the good man above said :)

Last edited:

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Thing is, cricinfo and other such websites show the players in action on their front page, whereas on CW i've noticed that most of the pictures are just cheesy front on shots of the players.

Btw, I am talking about the pics on the front page.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Armadillo said:
Thing is, cricinfo and other such websites show the players in action on their front page, whereas on CW i've noticed that most of the pictures are just cheesy front on shots of the players.

Btw, I am talking about the pics on the front page.
cricinfo and other websites aren't cricketweb, if you notice on the Cricinfo pictures it says copyright Getty Images, cricinfo pays for these images. Cricketweb doesn't have money to pay for pictures.

James

Cricket Web Owner
The pics we have serve the website quite well we believe.

I looked into the cost of photos through Getty and other sources, and the price is simply huge. If we do spend money, we do it to try and attract and keep our current visitors, photos don't do this IMO.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Not to mention it's a heck of a lot more difficult to get decent action shots with standard point-and-click cameras. If you're willing to do a whiparound and buy some telephoto lenses for CW, feel free, Armadillo. :p

As many others have said on here, it's a financial issue - and a rather large one at that.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I forget the exact price, but I seem to remember it was about NZ$150 per image. Whatever it was, it was simply crazy anyway.

I've been saving up my pocket money ( ;) ) for a digital SLR camera, but they cost a small fortune too.

And as a group, our writers are more superior to CricInfo's IMO. So take more notice of what's actually being written!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Our work camera is worth about $10,000 as far as I know.The photographer always gets a bit nervous every time he leaves it for me to use at the weekend...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
In about 12 months time i will be a certified freelance Journo with an all access media pass, ill strike a deal with ya James and we'll get the best photos possible ;)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Voltman said:
Our work camera is worth about $10,000 as far as I know.The photographer always gets a bit nervous every time he leaves it for me to use at the weekend...
Ouch!

The Digital SLR cameras I'm referring to seem to cost in the range of $1,500 to $2,500

James

Cricket Web Owner
Blewy said:
In about 12 months time i will be a certified freelance Journo with an all access media pass, ill strike a deal with ya James and we'll get the best photos possible ;)
Hey why not mate :D

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James said:
And as a group, our writers are more superior to CricInfo's IMO. So take more notice of what's actually being written!
Err... you tell 'em James..

I do agree with you tho, although I'm not a big reader.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Blewy said:
You lucky son of a gun. Awesome. :thumbsup:

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I know that there might be copyright problems but surely you could copy and paste from somewhere like google images. Only problem being that they might not do action shots.

As for the writing, I feel the website would be benefitted if the columns were in a more prominent position on the front page. People visiting the website might not be aware of the superb writing ability CW has on its team.