• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Buddhmaster said:
Let me get this right. Instead of saying sh*t, we have to write it out properly, ****. That's just stupid, causes confusion.
No, it's not stupid, otherwise, why would the filter be there in the first place?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
I can see Buddh's point, there are a few words which get changed to ****
Isn't that the whole point of it? You're not supposed to know the word at all, otherwise it's just as bad as the real word

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Isn't that the whole point of it? You're not supposed to know the word at all, otherwise it's just as bad as the real word
It could completely change the meaning of a sentance!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
More aware of not creating breaches..
I'd say that most people don't cause any problems anyway.

Besides, it's not as if the rules haven't been fairly well documented.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
What is your point? Let's take this as an example:

Buddhmaster said:
Instead of saying sh*t, we have to write it out properly, ****.
Now, the first one is basically the same as the proper word. Therefore, censoring it like that is utterly pointless. And in terms of "it could completely change the meaning of a sentence", that's what the filter is there for! To make sure that the little kiddies on the forum (or people in general who are offended by swearing) don't learn these words.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
So let me get this straight. An 11 or 12-year-old kid can wander into a CD store on the main street and pick up this particular *** Pistols album "that shall not be named" without any fear of being checked for identification or being told to put it down by a concerned onlooker due to the colourful word on the front cover. Yet, if he or she buys it, they cannot bring up the merits of this album - considered a landmark album - on the forum because this word, which has no limits on its appearance on the CD cover, is considered taboo.

The sentiment behind maintaining a family forum is admirable, but I think perhaps the perspective from the moderators is a touch archaic.

Still, I guess we know what we can do if we don't like it here. And I'm sure James will respect that - and in some cases, won't care.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Far out Buddh, we don`t want your life story.

But as Voltman said, if you don`t like the rules, then don`t play the game.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Far out Buddh, we don`t want your life story.

But as Voltman said, if you don`t like the rules, then don`t play the game.
Although it would be at the cost of CW's advertising revenue...

James

Cricket Web Owner
Voltman said:
So let me get this straight. An 11 or 12-year-old kid can wander into a CD store on the main street and pick up this particular *** Pistols album "that shall not be named" without any fear of being checked for identification or being told to put it down by a concerned onlooker due to the colourful word on the front cover. Yet, if he or she buys it, they cannot bring up the merits of this album - considered a landmark album - on the forum because this word, which has no limits on its appearance on the CD cover, is considered taboo.

The sentiment behind maintaining a family forum is admirable, but I think perhaps the perspective from the moderators is a touch archaic.
Coming back to the reason why this rule was introduced in the first place. The primary reason was that bad language was being used regularly all over the forum with no care taken what so ever in its use and I believe that reflects badly on the forum as a whole.

We issue warnings where we believe the post contains extreme bad language or that member has continually avoided the filter.

Your example around the CD cover for example with Steds, its been blown out by an immature response by Steds to what was a valid request and one I would have done myself if Neil hadn't got it to first.

Voltman said:
Still, I guess we know what we can do if we don't like it here. And I'm sure James will respect that - and in some cases, won't care.
You'll probably find that the members who have sticked around here a few years have found myself and the moderation team very fair and open to suggestions and views from our visitors.

We make and implement rules in the best interests of Cricket Web as a community open to all ages and one of all backgrounds and I believe we continue to succeed because of that.

I'm always open to chatting to people on MSN/Google Talk about this so if anyone wants to run anything past me, feel free. Otherwise continue to discuss here people

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
James said:
The primary reason was that bad language was being used regularly all over the forum with no care taken what so ever in its use and I believe that reflects badly on the forum as a whole.
So if we exercise care in using bad language, it's OK? :D

Shounak

Banned
So James, do you believe a word sounding like pee, is worse then WTF or FFS? Most people wouldn't use the full versions of those acronyms in front of parents or in a family environment. The former, they may..

Shouldn't you either ease up on some words in the "bad word filter" or add some more words (or acronyms)?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jamee999 said:
So your point is that swear words are required to get a point across? If your point is harsh enough to require swear words, save it for MSN/AIM/Yahoo.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
shounak said:
So James, do you believe a word sounding like pee, is worse then WTF or FFS? Most people wouldn't use the full versions of those acronyms in front of parents or in a family environment. The former, they may..

Shouldn't you either ease up on some words in the "bad word filter" or add some more words (or acronyms)?
If we start banning acronyms, we basically wouldn't be able to allow anything within a few weeks. Anyone can make an acronym (BCLIDB - Brian Charles Lara Is Da Bomb), and judging from the likes of "Bob", it doesn't take much for something to catch on and become vogue.

To decipher an acronym such as that, a person either has to know what it means in the first place, or ask someone to find out. In both instances, CW is no longer responsible. You yourself said that you had to ask what it meant, because when you read it on CW, you couldn't tell. That's as far as we go. That's as far as censorship goes. We can't curtail the curiousity of the masses, but we can do so with blatant profanity, which really leaves no room for curiousity.