• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unfriendly and Inappropriate Behaviour By Moderators

ReallyCrazy

Banned
a massive zebra said:
There was a thread some time ago about which batter has no class at all or something of the sort. And Neil was on there saying he was sick of all these "negative" topics and talked as if those kinds of topics should not be created. Just because someone is a moderator doesn't mean we have to make threads which please you guys.
u have plagiarized me zebra!!

I posted this on the 10-06-2004, 11:38 AM

ReallyCrazy said:
well if you have to know, there was a thread some time ago about which batter has no class at all or something of the sort. And one of the mods was on there saying he was sick of all these "negative" topics and talked as if those kinds of topics should not be created. Just coz someone is a mod doesn't mean we have to make threads which please you guys.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
The only thing I thought was totally inappropriate and rude was the way Neil blew off the newcomer...It would take a very big heart for him/her to return to the forums...

I dont know much about legal and illegal things on the net,but there was this thread once abt P2P programs and it was settled in a quiet manner...No-one has since raised the subject

What I am trying to suggest is that I love BoyBrumby's idea of having a seperate thing for newcomers to introduce themselves and at the same time the rules of the forums must be laid down in that thread...in a non-boring way so that everyone will read.

Can we have that James?

James

Cricket Web Owner
nikhil1772 said:
What I am trying to suggest is that I love BoyBrumby's idea of having a seperate thing for newcomers to introduce themselves and at the same time the rules of the forums must be laid down in that thread...in a non-boring way so that everyone will read.

Can we have that James?
Don't see any reason why not - I'll have a think :)

biased indian

International Coach
James said:
On a positive note I see we passed 400,000 posts today.
i was thinking of having a post on that but since u have mentioned it already i wont now :)

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well it could be seen that as the poster in question has only made one post, he or she had joined solely for the purpose of getting a free link to watch the cricket. and given that quite a few hours had passed between his post and neil's without him posting, that could be quite correct.
whatever it is, dont worry, neil, i still love you :hug:

(i dont mean for that smilie to be as homosexual as it looks)

biased indian

International Coach
andyc said:
well it could be seen that as the poster in question has only made one post, he or she had joined solely for the purpose of getting a free link to watch the cricket. and given that quite a few hours had passed between his post and neil's without him posting, that could be quite correct.
whatever it is, dont worry, neil, i still love you :hug:

(i dont mean for that smilie to be as homosexual as it looks)
then y u used it

but he or she did mention that payed links are also welcome. u could have told that dont post any free or illegal link didn't have to close it

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have been a member of the forum and appreciate the effort put in to maintain sanity on the site.

It is one of the most difficult things to decide what is on and what is not on in a forum. James has trusted a few people to maintain a level of decorum in which things can be discussed properly.

Cricket apart, offbeat radical things like Gay marriages are discussed on the forum without flame wars which is exemplary for a forum. Kudos to the mods as well as the members for showing a good standard.

Discussion is impossible with a few members we have had in the past.

It should be appreciated the forum is focussing more on fun and discussion rather than increasing post counts merely meaningly for the forum by being strict on some inflaming members.

And such members are given warnings to alter the flaming which is deemed detrimental for the forum's sanity which I mentioned seen from experience of people handling CW and I have witnessed some unecessary flaming in the past too.

The post of Neil was wrong in only one aspect. It did not welcome the new comer. I came first to CW looking for a picture of Dave Mohammed. Liam welcomed be delighted at my interest of Windies cricket.

Now if I was slighted saying copying pictures from the net is illegal, would I return? I dont know. A Big chance no though I might stick on too. Cant tell.

Neil is one of the most active forum moderators though and does the task assigned well. I wouldnt make such a big deal of Neil's moderation and of other moderators. Good this was pointed out for future and such things should be pointed out.

Overall I would like to applaud the mods for their handling of things.

biased indian

International Coach
originally posted by neil in a closed thread regarding the above discusssion
Except
Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Barbados, Bermuda, Bahamas, Canada, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Turks and Caicos Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Virgin Islands (British) and Virgin Islands (U.S.).

Neil this would have been much easier, Except North America and the Carribbean :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
biased indian said:
originally posted by neil in a closed thread regarding the above discusssion
Except
Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Aruba, Barbados, Bermuda, Bahamas, Canada, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Turks and Caicos Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Virgin Islands (British) and Virgin Islands (U.S.).

Neil this would have been much easier, Except North America and the Carribbean :)
Great, first I don't say enough, then I say too much... ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
To be fair to Neil though, that wasn't just of his own doing, he was the one to type it.

So that should be a case of don't shoot the messenger.
As demonstrated by the fact that it was specifically signed "The CricketWeb Team".
Mainly, also, I think it was directed at these more than any amz comment, which struck me as just being mentioned in passing.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I started a thread a few days ago called "I wonder...." on the OT.

For those of you who havent seen it, it was about the big debates between Richard and TEC. By the second page of this thread, I was having a very civilised discussion with richard trying to understand what prompted him to go on and on and on with TEC. I was really curious and thought we were getting somewhere and suddenly, James decided to close the thread saying some vague thing about it going into a black hole or something.

I was absolutely stunned.

We were not shouting at each other. None of us was agitated. It was avery cool talk, which Richard can verify. I dont know why ?

In fact I thought about it and the only argument I could give to myself was that maybe the forum NEEDS the long pointless , page after page discussion of these two and were worried I might actually convince Richard of the futility of it.

Honestly I couldnt and still cant think of why ?

I would like, before any of the moderators reply, for the others to let me know what they think. why was this closed and is it justified.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've got to say that I was equally baffled by that.
Almost invaribly with thread-closures, from any mod, I am in agreeance that the closure was appropriate.
This time, however, I must say I was surprised. Very surprised. Certainly there was never any chance of me getting agitated at SJS, I respect him far too much for that. I could see where he was coming from and was just trying to explain why I always felt the need to carry-on the tec debates.
I'm not criticising, but I would be interested to hear James' reasons for feeling the closure was neccessary.

Slow Love™

International Captain
SJS said:
In fact I thought about it and the only argument I could give to myself was that maybe the forum NEEDS the long pointless , page after page discussion of these two and were worried I might actually convince Richard of the futility of it.
LOL.

Didn't see this thread, but in general, I'm pretty happy with the way the forums are moderated. The only thing I would do significantly differently is banning the Camel/Pinkline boys and their associated aliases. They have a fixation with stalking Richard and probably most forums would have ditched them for their obsessive personal attacks and their chasing of an individual from thread to thread. If they're spoofing/anonymizing their IP's, who cares? It's obvious that John Laws, Ray Hadley, Belford etc are the same people. Into the bin.

As for Neil's response to the guy asking for the free webcast - I don't see what he did wrong. Who the hell provides free webcasts that aren't illegal? Neil's response wasn't even that rude, IMO.

BTW, WTF was up with that strange quoting (and grammatical tidying up) of ReallyCrazy by a massive zebra? Weird stuff. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
The only thing I would do significantly differently is banning the Camel/Pinkline boys and their associated aliases. They have a fixation with stalking Richard and probably most forums would have ditched them for their obsessive personal attacks and their chasing of an individual from thread to thread. If they're spoofing/anonymizing their IP's, who cares? It's obvious that John Laws, Ray Hadley, Belford etc are the same people. Into the bin.
Done and dusted now, let's just forget the silly fools and move on.
I am a great fan of the leniency of times, and though I think they crossed the line I'm perfectly happy for them (stroke him\her) to be given more chances. Eventually they blew everything they got.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Slow Love™ said:
Ha! I didn't realise it had already happened (the bannings). Well then, it's all good.
If they are indeed all the same bloke (time for a word with yourself if so fella!) & he went to the trouble of masking his IP(s) (although as a comp dunce that phrase means v little to me, so I've absolutely no idea how hard it would be to do) I bet he'll be back.

Cyber-stalking has replaced imitation as the sincerest form of flattery! :D

a massive zebra

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
If they are indeed all the same bloke (time for a word with yourself if so fella!) & he went to the trouble of masking his IP(s) (although as a comp dunce that phrase means v little to me, so I've absolutely no idea how hard it would be to do) I bet he'll be back.
Don't you just delete the cookies on your hard drive?