• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya and Atapattu take some replacing

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, while it had to happen some time it's still a massive blow.

As you say - the ultimate partnership of contrasts really - one other thing I'd add would be Atapattu's easy-paced copybook elegance contrasted to Jayasuriya's frenetic pragmatic ugliness.

About the only thing the two had in common was lack of hair and being Sri Lankan openers. Though Jayasuriya was obviously a manufactured opener.

Sometimes, TBH, I wonder if Atapattu really did shrug-off his awful start, in fact. He's had those sorts of awful patches throughout his career, and sadly they turned him from someone who I honestly believe could have been one of the best openers EVER into a pretty middling one, though one as likely to blunt the best bowling as anyone.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes don't think Atapattu's average reflected what a talented player he was. TBF if you had offered him a career average of just under 40 (over 40 as an opener) after his first six innings when a lot of self doubt must have set in, I'm sure he'd have taken it.

Chubb

International Regular
Yeah, so do I. Big fan of Iron Mike. They complement each other as well as Atapattu and Jayasuriya did- the wall and the whirlwind.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Vandort will do well to come close to emulating Atapattu IMO. Got it in him to be success at Test level, I'm certain, but his technique is awful compared to Atapattu's, and his First-Class average about 20 runs lower, and I don't see him having the class to play so many fine innings as Atapattu did.

Tharanga might become a poor man's Jayasuriya, but that's it I reckon.

Those two could certainly become a pair cut from the same cloth, and they're almost certainly the best two openers in Sri Lanka, but they don't have the skill level to go so far as out-and-out emulation for mine. As I say - if they get close they'll have done well.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, Vandort will do well to come close to emulating Atapattu IMO. Got it in him to be success at Test level, I'm certain, but his technique is awful compared to Atapattu's, and his First-Class average about 20 runs lower, and I don't see him having the class to play so many fine innings as Atapattu did.

Tharanga might become a poor man's Jayasuriya, but that's it I reckon.

Those two could certainly become a pair cut from the same cloth, and they're almost certainly the best two openers in Sri Lanka, but they don't have the skill level to go so far as out-and-out emulation for mine. As I say - if they get close they'll have done well.
So basically they will end up a mere photocopy of the real thing.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Atapattu was a lovely cricketer. Very correct, although I always thought he missed that touch of brilliance, that languid ease to make the copybook his own – which defines the truly graceful. Still, the stylists are dwindling. VVS will probably be gone soon too :(

We still have Jayawardene I guess :sleep:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I would not discount the possibility of Tharanga being replaced by Sangakkara as opener or even someone else like Warnapura for Tests...if his form in Tests continues to be lean...

As for ODIs once Jayasuriya retires, I suspect someone like Kapugedera or Dilshan may be converted as opener to partner Tharanga in ODIs ....again Tharanga's form in ODIs has also been lean of late ...that he may be sidelined for a longer time...even in ODIs ...
SL will really need to find a set opening combination in both forms of the game and the next year will be a lot of experimentation and trialling out as the form book dictates...of Tharanga...Dilshan...Kapugedera...Warnapura and any others..

JBH001

International Regular
Hmmm, what about Silva as a converted opener in ODI's with Tharanga?

Also yes, I agree with the tenor of the majority of the above posts.

It will be very difficult to replace Marvellous Marvan and Sana.

(strangely enough Marvan made the first run of his career - the only run of his innings - after 5 ducks in the same game that Warne announced he had some potential, taking 3/11 in the SL second innings. I remember watching that game on TV. Marvan made an unconvincing shot, a bat pad iirc, and just raced down to the other end - almost got himself run out too, I think lol!)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
First Atapattu was as much a manufactured opener, who at most was No 3 that got asked to open as we had little options.

Personally I think there is quite a few players trying to put their hand up to replace Jayasuriya and Atapattu. The first come to mind are off course Vandort and Tharanga, who will be given first shot at the openers spot. Then the next in line ATM is Warnapura who the selectors have already considered as potential opener in Tests and in ODIs through Sri Lanka A. He is very much a middle order batsmen but probably has a lot better technique to open then other options especially in Tests.

Then you have Dilruwan Silva, would has decided to make a big move in his career and play for big club (Colts CC) to increase his chances of selection and force himself to play with big boys in Division One. I don't think he has the technique to cope at ODI level, but atleast his making himself work on it by platying better bowlers week in week out.

Then you have Dilshan he has made a big statement this season with his intent on taking over from Jayasuriya by moving to opener for Bloomfield. His started off brilliantly with 180 in first game off the season on fairly tricky pitch where most batsmen struggled. There is talk that he going to move to the top in FC as well, as he wants to shown the selectors he can bat in all conditions and all situations. Very much a Watson/Hodge move, but his got the runs to back him up this move, leading run scorer to date in List A.

Tharanga Paranavitana is the probably the guy that will get the spot long term. Probably the most talented opener outside Upul Tharanga and his got runs in domestic cricket to back him up, just needs to score runs for Sri Lanka A. With an average of 37 odd, his got one of best averages in FC cricket in country. But his lack of runs outside his home ground SSC have counted against himself, as well as his relative slow scoring rate, s/r of 60 in List A.

Ian Daniel is another option, his probably has the best technique out of all the openers and would have to a good options for Test Cricket, if he can string together a good season.

But the guy that has been earmarked as future mainstay at the top of the order is Mahela Udawatte. His started to score some consistant runs for Sri Lanka A. He has his best start to the season so far with 239 runs @ 40 in 6 OD games. At 21 he is the youngest out of all the realistic options and will be the guy to watch out for.

With regard to Kapugedera he has indicated that he doesn't want to open the batting and prefers batting down the order. When it came to U19s the only reason why he opened was cus no else could do a decent job, as shown by the performances of the openers in the last Under 19 WC. His shown some positive signs at No 5 and I think he should be given a go there. Also Chamara Silva couldn't score a run in domestic cricket at No 3. So I can't see why anyone would want him to open the batting. If you look deeper at domestic cricket in Sri Lanka, there are plenty of options so I don't see the need to force Silva or Kapugedera to open, when they both prefer batting down the order.

Really I don't think it is all so bad on the opening front. Vandort and Tharanga will probably do the job until Udawatte is ready and then Vandort will probably move down the order. Dilshan and Tharanga will do a job in ODIs, again until Udawatte is ready then Dilshan will either be finished or moved back down the order. If those guys don't work then I reckon Paranavitana will be able to do the job in Tests.

In Tests I actually think we have a fair bit of depth. In ODIs I think we are a bit short due to fact most guys are pretty slow scoring, Sangakkara may have to step up and open if Dilshan doesn't work and Udawatte takes longer then expected to be ready for International Cricket.

It is going to take a while before some of these excel at International level, but most are in their mid 20s now. They have been waiting a while for Atapattu and Jayasuriya to retire and get a chance for 2-3 years. So they are primed for a chance at this level and I would be surprised if they don't make the most of it. I'm actually looking forward to see who steps up and not really worried if they fail as there is someone else to take their spot who can also do a job. There is depth around the opening position, it just they haven't been able to been given a chance to show what they got.

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
From what i've seen of the possible replacements, none of them have what it takes to cement a permanent place in the side and acheive a decent record.

Vandort and Thuranga in my view just don't cut it in test cricket, sure they're gonna score some runs at one stage or another but i can't see a place in the near future when there places in the team are not being discussed. Their techniques aren't up to standard and i just don't think they have the natural ability to succeed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gary Kirsten's technique looked awful, too - if he can succeed, Vandort certainly can. He needs to stop playing balls outside off defensively, though, and also to actually commit to off-side drives rather than push hopefully at them.

Obviously, I'd like to see his bat coming down in a less ungainly fashion, but he's done OK at the domestic level and against Bangladesh with it. And there's only been Jonathan Lewis who I've seen genuinely get him out regularly due to said fault.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
One thing people forgot is that both Vandort and Tharanga have far better records then Atapattu and Jayasuriya had at the same stages in their careers. Also they both have out performed Atapattu and Jayasuriya in the last couple years in Tests.

I'll openly admitt both their techniques don't look great and in Tharanga case very poor. But really there are a lot modern players with poor-ish techniques or habits who have succeed lately due to lack of pitches that offer support to bowlers.

Julian87

State Captain
It is good to see that Tharanga isn't rated everywhere. It wqill be interesting to see who nails down these spots.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One thing people forgot is that both Vandort and Tharanga have far better records then Atapattu and Jayasuriya had at the same stages in their careers.
Did they? Jayasuriya I knew about, as he was more of a bowler early in his career and Tharanga has always been a batsman. But Atapattu's First-Class record has been superb since I first looked at it and I'd kind of assumed he'd been doing well virtually since his arrival, even if he was a three instead of an opener in the longer game.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Did they? Jayasuriya I knew about, as he was more of a bowler early in his career and Tharanga has always been a batsman. But Atapattu's First-Class record has been superb since I first looked at it and I'd kind of assumed he'd been doing well virtually since his arrival, even if he was a three instead of an opener in the longer game.
Averaged the same as Vandort when he first started in domestic cricket. His FC average only really increased to 50 odd when he started playing regular Tests and it was on the back of tour matches not domestic cricket. As he hardly ever played in domestic cricket through out his career, even when he young.

When I said far better records, I was refering to their Test records as both averaged in 20s at the same stage.