• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jamie Siddons has been appointed coach of Bangladesh

Aritro

International Regular
http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=462

Delighted with this bit of news tbh

There's been some worryingly unexceptional (in terms of coaching pedigree) names thrown around in the Bangladeshi press lately, including those of Gordon Greenidge and Colin Miller.

To emerge with Jamie Siddons being given the job, given the quality of the other candidates, is a definite coup.

On a sidenote, he'll be on $300k which is roughly 6 times what Ashraful earns.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
I guess Siddons will be the highest paid cricket coach in the world then (if I remember correctly BCCI, the wealthiest cricket board in the world, used to pay Chappell around $180K/year).

A Bangladeshi daily said Siddons will be provided a house, a car, air tickets for him and his family, and performance bonuses on top of his salary.

Last edited:

Aritro

International Regular
Prothom Alo are now reporting that it's $200k.

Either way, it's a lot of bloody money. ;)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Does he have any sort of chance of being Captain/Coach?

Not the worst option in the world still..

Craig

World Traveller
I'm interested in how Bangladesh have that sort of money to pay a coach, granted you can't under-pay him, but if there is that sort of money wouldn't it also be good to re-invest in the cricket structure? Or is there 3rd party arrangements (like sponsors chipping in) in place?

Aritro

International Regular
I'm interested in how Bangladesh have that sort of money to pay a coach, granted you can't under-pay him, but if there is that sort of money wouldn't it also be good to re-invest in the cricket structure? Or is there 3rd party arrangements (like sponsors chipping in) in place?
The BCB are cashed up.

In addition to sponsorships and other investment, they've managed to secure a TV rights deal for just under $60m over 6 years (ending 2012).

That said, now that I've thought about it, 200k would still seem to be a tad excessive.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
The BCB are cashed up.

In addition to sponsorships and other investment, they've managed to secure a TV rights deal for just under $60m over 6 years (ending 2012).

That said, now that I've thought about it, 200k would still seem to be a tad excessive.
I would be pushing as much money as fesible into developing a a top notch cricket development system, the passion is clearly there, it is the infrustracture that needs to go with it. But then again, for all I know the BCB could of been taking lessons from the BCCI and pocketing a bit of the money for themselves and going not going back into Bangladeshi cricket. Then again I could be completely wrong.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
An interesting appointment. For a guy who must have a claim for a place in the "Best non Test players XI" it will be interesting to see if he can get Bangladesh's batsmen to learn to concentrate for long periods. Even a 20/20 game was too long for them in the recent event in SA never mind a Test match - and if someone could get them to just stay at the crease BD's Test fortunes might start to improve as the talent is there in the batting - it just needs discipline.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would be pushing as much money as fesible into developing a a top notch cricket development system, the passion is clearly there, it is the infrustracture that needs to go with it. But then again, for all I know the BCB could of been taking lessons from the BCCI and pocketing a bit of the money for themselves and going not going back into Bangladeshi cricket. Then again I could be completely wrong.
Well you'd think that hiring a top class coach would be, in the mind of the BCB, a means to an end of producing a top class cricket team. Yes, there's infrastructure to be tended to under the jurisdiction of Siddons, but the one would hope the BCB has taken that into consideration. As was previously stated, the BCB is pretty wealthy apparently.

Craig

World Traveller
Well you'd think that hiring a top class coach would be, in the mind of the BCB, a means to an end of producing a top class cricket team. Yes, there's infrastructure to be tended to under the jurisdiction of Siddons, but the one would hope the BCB has taken that into consideration. As was previously stated, the BCB is pretty wealthy apparently.
Of course you would think I didn't know that?

I'm just intrigued in the behind-the-scenes and what happens as a result.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Siddons has asked for a full fledged coaching staff consisting an assistant head coach, specialized bowling and fielding coaches, physio, and trainer. For the coming New Zealand tour, Shaun Williams, Sarwar Imran, and Salahuddin Ahmed are likely ones to act as the assistant head, bowling, and fielding coaches. Siddons will evaluate performances of the local coaches during the tour and may ask to include more foreign coaching staff afterwards. So, yeah, BCB may have to open up their coffer further for the national team.