Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 139

Thread: Pick An All Time XI Comp.

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,716

    Pick An All Time XI Comp.

    Below is the first part of an article George Roberts and I have put together, about choosing an all time XI. We will publish the whole article in a few days.

    We would like you to try and guess the makeup of the all time XI that we have come up with. It is no easy task, but in true Cricket Web tradition we have pulled out all stops and have a grand prize of a Cricket Web t-shirt, which we will send to the lucky winner.

    By reading the below you will see that Bradman is an automatic selection, so that leaves another ten, but you must choose two players from each era, no more no less.

    The only condition is that no Cricket Web Staff Member is allowed to enter.

    Read the article
    Last edited by James; 03-09-2007 at 10:57 PM.
    You know it makes sense.

  2. #2
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    Q1. Ifa player has played in two eras which one do you consider him for ? Or is it the one in which he made his debut ?

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,716
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Q1. Ifa player has played in two eras which one do you consider him for ? Or is it the one in which he made his debut ?
    We tried to rate them in relation to which era we felt they had the greatest impact on.

    If their is a player you are not sure about which era they are being consider from, just post them here and I will let you know.

    And if anyone chooses a player in their final XI from the wrong era I will let them know and they can re-select

    Remember this is an all time XI so asking about someone like Mead who played in two eras would be a waste of effort (though I will be happy to answer)

  4. #4
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    Q2. By when does one have to make the guess?
    Q3. Are you going to post further parts of this 'article' before one makes the guess ?


  5. #5
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Nice idea.

    My guesses would be:
    Era One:
    WG Grace
    SF Barnes

    Era Two:
    Jack Hobbs
    Wally Hammond

    Era Three:
    Garry Sobers
    Ray Lindwall

    Era Four:
    Malcolm Marshall
    Alan Knott

    Era Five:
    Muralitharan
    Sachin Tendulkar

    Giving a team:
    WG Grace
    Jack Hobbs
    Don Bradman
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Wally Hammond
    Garry Sobers
    Alan Knott+
    Ray Lindwall
    Malcolm Marshall
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    SF Barnes

    I'm quite sure I haven't got it - with Archie involved in the selection in particular, there are so many golden age players I'm sure I've overlooked in going for the obvious Grace and Barnes. Sobers is the only selection I'm really sure of.

    My XI using this criteria would be:
    Era 1: Trumper, Barnes
    Era 2: Hobbs, Hammond
    Era 3: Miller, Sobers
    Era 4: Marshall, Lillee,
    Era 5: Warne, Gilchrist

    Giving me:
    Trumper
    Hobbs
    Bradman
    Hammond
    Sobers
    Miller
    Gilchrist+
    Marshall
    Warne
    Lillee
    Barnes

    Can't believe Imran isn't in there. This is hard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Nice idea.

    My guesses would be:
    Era One:
    WG Grace
    SF Barnes

    Era Two:
    Jack Hobbs
    Wally Hammond

    Era Three:
    Garry Sobers
    Ray Lindwall

    Era Four:
    Malcolm Marshall
    Alan Knott

    Era Five:
    Muralitharan
    Sachin Tendulkar

    Giving a team:
    WG Grace
    Jack Hobbs
    Don Bradman
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Wally Hammond
    Garry Sobers
    Alan Knott+
    Ray Lindwall
    Malcolm Marshall
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    SF Barnes

    I'm quite sure I haven't got it - with Archie involved in the selection in particular, there are so many golden age players I'm sure I've overlooked in going for the obvious Grace and Barnes. Sobers is the only selection I'm really sure of.

    My XI using this criteria would be:
    Era 1: Trumper, Barnes
    Era 2: Hobbs, Hammond
    Era 3: Miller, Sobers
    Era 4: Marshall, Lillee,
    Era 5: Warne, Gilchrist

    Giving me:
    Trumper
    Hobbs
    Bradman
    Hammond
    Sobers
    Miller
    Gilchrist+
    Marshall
    Warne
    Lillee
    Barnes

    Can't believe Imran isn't in there. This is hard!

    You have all of your choices from the correct eras (can't say anymore than that )

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,716
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Q2. By when does one have to make the guess?
    Q3. Are you going to post further parts of this 'article' before one makes the guess ?
    A2= We will publish it on cricket web on Saturday night Australian time

    A3= no that is all the help we were planning on giving

  8. #8
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,075
    This is much tougher than I thought it would be.

    Era I:

    Ranji
    Barnes

    Era II:

    Hobbs
    O'Reilly

    Era III:

    Sobers
    Tallon

    Era IV:

    Gavaskar
    Lillee

    Era V:

    Tendulkar
    McGrath

    All Time XI:

    Hobbs
    Gavaskar
    Bradman
    Tendulkar
    Ranji
    Sobers
    Tallon
    O'Reilly
    SF Barnes
    Lillee
    McGrath

    Certainly not what I think it should be, just what I feel it will be close to.
    RIP Craigos

  9. #9
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    I cant locate a criteria for eligibility like minimum runs/wickets/matches. Is it not required or did I miss it ?

  10. #10
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    Is it one or two spinners (over and above the all rounder) ?

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,716
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    This is much tougher than I thought it would be.

    Era I:

    Ranji
    Barnes

    Era II:

    Hobbs
    O'Reilly

    Era III:

    Sobers
    Tallon

    Era IV:

    Gavaskar
    Lillee

    Era V:

    Tendulkar
    McGrath

    All Time XI:

    Hobbs
    Gavaskar
    Bradman
    Tendulkar
    Ranji
    Sobers
    Tallon
    O'Reilly
    SF Barnes
    Lillee
    McGrath

    Certainly not what I think it should be, just what I feel it will be close to.
    You have all of your choices from the correct eras (can't say anymore than that )

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,716
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I cant locate a criteria for eligibility like minimum runs/wickets/matches. Is it not required or did I miss it ?
    There was no criteria as such, but all batsman have scored at least 1000 runs and all bowlers have taken at least one hundred wickets

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,716
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Is it one or two spinners (over and above the all rounder) ?
    This is a hard question because from the first era it is hard to know what style they bowled

    If you ignore the first era, then you can say there is only one spinner in the final XI

  14. #14
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    This is a really good one and tough

    I made my own shortlist and here is how I went about doing it.

    I think besides Bradman three players who are a must for any all time side are
    - Sobers for the all round slot,
    - Hobbs for one of the two openers slot and
    - Barnes for one of the pacers (medium, medium fast, fast medium, fast, super fast or somethingsqueezed between these) slots.

    That also means we have one each from Era 1 (Barnes), era 2 (Hobbs) and era 3 (Sobers)

    My shortlist for the rest of the spots with eras in brackets is

    ONE OPENER FROM

    - Trumper (Era 1)
    - Sutcliffe (Era 2)
    - Hutton (Era 3)
    - Gavaskar (Era 4)

    [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]*Since declared inelligible[/COLOR]


    TWO MIDDLE ORDER BATSMEN FROM


    - Hammond/Headley (Era 2)
    - Pollock (Era 3)
    - Viv Richards (Era 4)
    - SRT or BCL (Era 5)

    ONE KEEPER FROM

    - Blackham (Era 1)
    - Oldfield (Era 2)
    - Tallon or Evans (Era 3)

    ONE SPINNER FROM

    - Grimmett OR O'rielly (Era 2)
    - Laker (Era 3)
    - Warne OR Murali (Era 5)

    TWO PACERS FROM


    - Lindwall (Era 3)
    - Lillee (Era 4)
    - Hadlee (Era 4)
    - Imran (Era 4)
    - Marshall (Era 4)

    This may not include some of other folks absolute favourites but remember it is my, final, short- list.

    Now starts the tougher part. Its tough because there are so many contenders from each era.

    ERA....CERT......NEED.......SHORTLIST
    1.............1.............1...................3
    2.............1.............1...................4
    3.............1.............1...................5
    4.............0.............2...................5
    5.............0.............2...................2

    AHA ! I have a perfect match for Era 5. I have two positions available and two in my shortlist. I dont think both Tendulkar and Lara or both Warne and Murali will make the final XI.

    So I pen in my one middle order batsman (or a choice) and a choice of spinner and the Era 5 is closed.

    I now have

    1. Hobbs...............Era 2
    2. ----------
    3, Bradman
    4. Tendulkar/Lara...Era 5
    5. -----------
    6. Sobers..............Era 3
    7. ---------- (Keeper)
    8. -----------(Pacer)
    9. -----------(Pacer)
    10. Warne/Murali.....Era 5
    11. Barnes .............Era 1

    My balance sheet reads :-
    ERA....CERT......NEED.......SHORTLIST...Open....MO B....Keeper....Spin....Pace
    1.............1.............1...................3 ...............1...........0..........1........... .0...........0
    2.............1.............1...................4 ...............1...........1..........1........... .1...........0
    3.............1.............1...................5 ...............1...........1..........1........... .1...........1
    4.............0.............2...................5 ...............0...........1..........0........... .0...........4


    The next era with a better fit between need and availabilty is Era 1. Since I need another player from Era 1. I have to decide whether it would be an opener, Keeper or fast bowler. Opener is my favoured choice but it may come down to a balancing act.

    HELP !!

    PS : With the clarification from Archie_Mac we knock off Trumper, Spofforth and Barry Richards.
    Last edited by SJS; 03-09-2007 at 11:16 PM.

  15. #15
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    There was no criteria as such, but all batsman have scored at least 1000 runs and all bowlers have taken at least one hundred wickets
    in test matches ??

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. All Time Pakistan vs All Time India
    By allout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 26-09-2007, 01:52 PM
  2. Replies: 151
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 09:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •