Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: India name list of probables - Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly dropped?

India name list of probables - Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly dropped?

Quote Originally Posted by cricinfo
    Twenty20 World Cup, 2007

Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly not in probables

Cricinfo staff

July 7, 2007

Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly have been left out of the 30 probables that India's selectors picked for the Twenty20 World Cup to be held in South Africa in September.

List of probables

Virender Sehwag, Suresh Raina, Mohammad Kaif, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni, Dinesh Karthik, Irfan Pathan, Yusuf Pathan, Sreesanth, Manoj Tiwary, Ajit Agarkar, Karan Goel, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Ishant Sharma, Abhiskek Jhunjhunwala, Cheteshwar Pujara, Rajesh Pawar, Piyush Chawla, Harbhajan Singh, Joginder Sharma, Rohit Sharma, Gautam Gambhir, Munaf Patel, Niranjan Behera, Praveen Kumar, Aniruddh Srikkanth, Ramesh Powar, Robin Uthappa, Niraj Patel
    It would seem that the three kings of India have been dropped but on further analysis, they have chosen not to play citing that twenty20 is a young man's game.

http://www.cricketnext.com/news/no-s...c/25855-5.html
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    First thoughts:

1. Seeing as Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly will have been playing almost non-stop since the DLF Cup last year, it makes sense to rest them, especially when you consider the BCCI's attitude to Twenty20. Ganguly's county record is less than impressive; Dravid probably doesn't have the shots, even if some grafting is required; only Tendulkar of the three would really stand out as an ideal Twenty20 player.

2. Where is Dinesh Mongia? He has almost as much Twenty20 experience as the whole of this squad put together and is a proven performer, especially with the ball.

Can anyone fill me in on Goel, Behera and Srikkanth? Thanks.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Quite shocked with that list.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Hmm 'chosen' not to play...

I think there's a combination of things going on here, I highly doubt Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly decided to give someone else a chance in a World Cup. If the selectors just come out and say they dropped them because they won't really be up to much in Twenty20 at this stage in their career then the selectors would get lynched.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Hmm 'chosen' not to play...

I think there's a combination of things going on here, I highly doubt Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly decided to give someone else a chance in a World Cup. If the selectors just come out and say they dropped them because they won't really be up to much in Twenty20 at this stage in their career then the selectors would get lynched.
    Why do you doubt they gave others a chance? They have a ridiculous number of matches this season and probably want a break at 34 years old.

I await your responce.

Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Why do you doubt they gave others a chance? They have a ridiculous number of matches this season and probably want a break at 34 years old.

I await your responce.
    And so they pick some of the biggest and least tiring matches to take a rest... right.

And so they pick some of the biggest and least tiring matches to take a rest... right.
    Biggest? These are probably among the least important matches of the year for Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly. Mind you, I am looking forward to it and will certainly watch with enthusiasm. Anyways, the selectors probably wanted to select youth and the big three made their job easy. Very glad about this move.
    Last edited by adharcric; 08-07-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    Can anyone fill me in on Goel, Behera and Srikkanth? Thanks.
    Goel is a young, top-order batsman for Punjab who topped the Twenty20 run charts and fared very well as a part-time spinner, taking 6 for 23 from 5.1 overs over 10 matches. Looks to have good potential in general. Behera is a young, left-arm spinner for Orissa who did well in the Twenty20 tournament but I haven't heard anything great about him. No idea where Srikkanth came from ... he's being hyped up as a big hitter but I'm not sure why. HB or Arjun might know ...

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Goel is a young, top-order batsman for Punjab who topped the Twenty20 run charts and fared very well as a part-time spinner, taking 6 for 23 from 5.1 overs over 10 matches. Looks to have good potential in general. Behera is a young, left-arm spinner for Orissa who did well in the Twenty20 tournament but I haven't heard anything great about him. No idea where Srikkanth came from ... he's being hyped up as a big hitter but I'm not sure why. HB or Arjun might know ...
    He is the younger son of Krish Srikkanth and he has been doing decently well for TN in the OD games and perhaps did well in the Twenty 20 National championship. Even I am not sure how he was picked. But he is definitely a good fielder. That, I have actually seen live.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Biggest? These are probably among the least important matches of the year for Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly. Mind you, I am looking forward to it and will certainly watch with enthusiasm. Anyways, the selectors probably wanted to select youth and the big three made their job easy. Very glad about this move.
    Yea, an inaugural World Cup is far less important than a hundred or so mickey mouse ODIs... The trio jumped before they were pushed.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    No.

Niranjan Behera started off as an offie for Orissa, but his batting turned out to be a surprise package, as he went about scoring rapid 50's from positions as low as eight. He's got decent T20 figures, but he's only been picked to make up the numbers, or as one more all-rounder in the list. That team has a few bits-and-pieces folks, but Behera's a regular bowler, so maybe that put him ahead. Goel, as the stat sheets reveal, has a very high (for T20) average with three scores over 50, and is a decent part-time bowler. I've seen him in action, and he's a caution-to-the-wind batsman.

All in all, a decent list. There's not much point discussing the Three Kings opting out, it's too heated a debate to continue. They've cast the net wide to include several multi-skilled players such as the now-out-of-form Irfan Pathan, his powerful elder brother Yusuf Pathan, Joginder Sharma (despite a less-than-average T20 record), the under-rated Praveen Kumar, Piyush Chawla, Ramesh Powar, Rajesh Pawar, whooh!
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Yea, an inaugural World Cup is far less important than a hundred or so mickey mouse ODIs... The trio jumped before they were pushed.
    You are being highly cynical. Your giving the Twenty20 world cup a lot of importance doesn't mean every one else will.

What would an ideal T20 Indian team look like? Given the options at hand, it won't be a bad idea to have a team with six bowling options and batting till nine, but all eleven have to field well. If they pick a team similar to the current (or so) Indian ODI team, they're toast.

Praveen Kumar for India T20!!!

One can always hope...

...no, just what's needed!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information