Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 182

Thread: Why the hypocrisy on Zimbabwe ?

  1. #1
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150

    Why the hypocrisy on Zimbabwe ?

    SO AUstralia decries the lack of democracy in Zimbabwe.....and won't send their cricket team over there.

    Ok, I can accept that .....but is Australia prepared to boycott the Beijing OLympics next year ?
    Hell after all, China just suppresses human freedoms and illegally occupies a whole country (Tibet) ?

    What about the Pakistan tour next year - General Musharraf is nothing but a military dicatator who has curtailed democracy in Pakistan ?
    But hey, he iss upposedly a valuable ally in the so-called "war on terror", so its ok to tour ?

    C'mon where's the logic there.......?????
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

    Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

  2. #2
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    SO AUstralia decries the lack of democracy in Zimbabwe.....and won't send their cricket team over there.

    Ok, I can accept that .....but is Australia prepared to boycott the Beijing OLympics next year ?
    Hell after all, China just suppresses human freedoms and illegally occupies a whole country (Tibet) ?

    What about the Pakistan tour next year - General Musharraf is nothing but a military dicatator who has curtailed democracy in Pakistan ?
    But hey, he iss upposedly a valuable ally in the so-called "war on terror", so its ok to tour ?

    C'mon where's the logic there.......?????
    Money is more important in the political world than logic I'm afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  3. #3
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    SO AUstralia decries the lack of democracy in Zimbabwe.....and won't send their cricket team over there.

    Ok, I can accept that .....but is Australia prepared to boycott the Beijing OLympics next year ?
    Hell after all, China just suppresses human freedoms and illegally occupies a whole country (Tibet) ?

    What about the Pakistan tour next year - General Musharraf is nothing but a military dicatator who has curtailed democracy in Pakistan ?
    But hey, he iss upposedly a valuable ally in the so-called "war on terror", so its ok to tour ?

    C'mon where's the logic there.......?????
    exactly, can't do something against a sports team because of their government even if the both mix.

  4. #4
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Port Hedland
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    SO AUstralia decries the lack of democracy in Zimbabwe.....and won't send their cricket team over there.

    Ok, I can accept that .....but is Australia prepared to boycott the Beijing OLympics next year ?
    Hell after all, China just suppresses human freedoms and illegally occupies a whole country (Tibet) ?

    What about the Pakistan tour next year - General Musharraf is nothing but a military dicatator who has curtailed democracy in Pakistan ?
    But hey, he iss upposedly a valuable ally in the so-called "war on terror", so its ok to tour ?

    C'mon where's the logic there.......?????
    I agree with you completely. I would be happy if the west did boycott Beijing, and that Musharraf was regarded as a military dictator rather than some sort of "friend with a few flaws" as he is now.

    That said, I would rather the powers-that-be make the right call on one of the three situations than on none of them.


  5. #5
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    It's pretty diablocial that Beijing was even considered to be a viable venue for the Olympics.. How many journalists to they hold in prison? Is it something like 36?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  6. #6
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Bracken View Post
    That said, I would rather the powers-that-be make the right call on one of the three situations than on none of them.
    That's not fair and is double standards and discrimination against zimbabwe.

  7. #7
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150
    The thing that really irks me is the "holier than thou" attitude adopted by Western countries to Zimbabwe.

    Ok Mugabe is an animal, but IF he had opened Zimbabwe's rich mineral deposits to exploitation by Western companies, do you honestly think criticism of him would be so strident ?

    I've allways maintained that the attitude by guys like Howard and Blair to the regime in Harare is due more to other factors than pure concern for the plight of the Zimbabwean people.

  8. #8
    State Vice-Captain jot1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,098
    If it wasn't for this sort of thing there would still be apartheid in South Africa so I'm inclined to go with it. Build a house one brick at a time. Change the world (for the better) one country at a time if that's what it takes.

  9. #9
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    The thing that really irks me is the "holier than thou" attitude adopted by Western countries to Zimbabwe.

    Ok Mugabe is an animal, but IF he had opened Zimbabwe's rich mineral deposits to exploitation by Western companies, do you honestly think criticism of him would be so strident ?

    I've allways maintained that the attitude by guys like Howard and Blair to the regime in Harare is due more to other factors than pure concern for the plight of the Zimbabwean people.
    Do you claim the same hypocrisy on Stuart MacGill? (asking)
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  10. #10
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Do you claim the same hypocrisy on Stuart MacGill? (asking)
    Will he sit out the Pakistan tour then on moral grounds ?


    THe moment you mix sport and politics, you open up a whole Pandora's box.

  11. #11
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,074
    Quote Originally Posted by jot1 View Post
    If it wasn't for this sort of thing there would still be apartheid in South Africa so I'm inclined to go with it. Build a house one brick at a time. Change the world (for the better) one country at a time if that's what it takes.
    Agree with this 100%. If sport & politics didn't mix then the exclusion of SA for over 20 years is indefensible; when SA were excluded from cricket they were (arguably) the best team in the world. It meant guys like Richards, Rice & Proctor were denied the test careers that should've been their's as right. Despite that I really doubt too many people would argue that it wasn't the correct course of action, so I don't see any reason not to apply the same standard to Zimbabwe.

    Plus, of course, there's the obvious cricketing reason that yer Zimbas are just no bloody good now they've been denuded of their best players.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

  12. #12
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Agree with this 100%. If sport & politics didn't mix then the exclusion of SA for over 20 years is indefensible; when SA were excluded from cricket they were (arguably) the best team in the world. It meant guys like Richards, Rice & Proctor were denied the test careers that should've been their's as right. Despite that I really doubt too many people would argue that it wasn't the correct course of action, so I don't see any reason not to apply the same standard to Zimbabwe.

    Plus, of course, there's the obvious cricketing reason that yer Zimbas are just no bloody good now they've been denuded of their best players.


    THe tour is being objected to on moral grounds tho....
    leaving aside the issue of how good Zimbabwe actually are, do you or jot honestly think that anyone would ever call for China's exclusion from the Olympics ?

    I just don't buy the whole morality argument especially when it seems to apply in some cases and in others it doesn't.

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,844
    The cases of Zimbabwe, Pakistan and China are not as similar as you are making out, though. If they were identical then the argument would be identical, but it isn't.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  14. #14
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    The cases of Zimbabwe, Pakistan and China are not as similar as you are making out, though. If they were identical then the argument would be identical, but it isn't.
    Of course they're not going to be identical, they're different countries with different regimes and different crimes that have been committed.


    THe basic principle is the same though......how can you object to touring Zimbabwe
    and yet happily send your Olympic contingent to Beijing 2008. ?

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    It's pretty diablocial that Beijing was even considered to be a viable venue for the Olympics.. How many journalists to they hold in prison? Is it something like 36?
    Weight of numbers.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Should Zimbabwe be in the world cup?
    By Narly_Sai in forum World Cup 2007
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19-03-2007, 07:18 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-09-2006, 04:12 PM
  3. ***Official*** Bangladesh in Zimbabwe
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 12:48 PM
  4. **Official** Zimbabwe in the West Indies
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 178
    Last Post: 15-05-2006, 07:45 PM
  5. *Official* West Indies in Zimbabwe Thread
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 554
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 03:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •