• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your favourite nobodies

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who are your favourite players who weren't much chop and why?

Personally I love Peter Taylor. His bowling action was great and he made me appreciate spin bowling.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a bit harsh to call them "nobodies", what with them being international cricketers and all, but two players I have affection for above and beyond what their actual output and success would merit are Daren Ganga and Ramesh Powar.

Ganga's batting was very easy on the eye, almost like a right handed Lord Gah, and gave the distinct impression he should be averaging a lot more than ~25.

& Powar had the most gorgeous, classic offie's action. He played during the post-Murali bent arm era when the Ajmals and Bothas of the world were chucking away with impunity, and here was a short, tubby little chap whose action was a paragon of orthodox rectitude. Loved that little guy.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Mohammad Irfan (the tall Pakistani bowler), seemed like a genuinely nice guy and a very good bowler as well but you had to take just one look at him fielding to know that his body won't hold up in International cricket.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Ashwell Prince... was an excellent but overall undervalued player.

But my favourite nobody is probably Dave Callaghan.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Daren Powell.
i know the west indies were awful during his time but they were never 'daren powell = 37 test match caps' awful.

he 100% has compromising pictures of one of the selectors.

the graeme hick of fast bowling,

mohammad sami is the mark ramprakash of fast bowling.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i know the west indies were awful during his time but they were never 'daren powell = 37 test match caps' awful.

he 100% has compromising pictures of one of the selectors.

the graeme hick of fast bowling,

mohammed shami is the mark ramprakash of fast bowling.
There were two instances in his test career you would have to ask yourself, 'why tf is this guy playing international cricket?'

Those two instances were in NZ and ENG....

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Not really a nobody given he was an excellent county batsman and played some good test innings, but he’s not someone who will be remembered too much.

John Crawley - found him to be an elegant player, loved his flicks through mid wicket and even enjoyed his cover drive and other shots like his cut against the spinners.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Dwayne Leverock - a certifiable ' nobody ' who for 1 moment only became a legendary ' somebody '