• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides the greatest ODI batsman ever (submit your own top 20 list)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, I've done a few of these lists over the years. The premise is pretty simple, users submit ranked lists of who they believe are the all time top players in a category, I tally the lists then do a countdown thread with write-ups. I've slowly tweaked the system a few times, but I think last time with the best ever spinner countdown I got the perfect set-up. Instead of me nominating 20 or so players I deem to be the roughly considered 'best' I just let people submit their own lists and I included any player that appeared at least twice on a list in the final countdown. I ended up with 43 spinners, making it the biggest edition yet. That was probably too big, it took a long slog to get the interesting part of the countdown, so I might just cap this at 30 names. Even if well over 30 names get multiple votes/points, I'll just be taking the top 30 and discarding the rest. I reserve the right to change my mind though if some players I really like sit just outside the 30 :)

Anyway, we've done best ever test spinner, pace bowler, all-rounder and 2nd best batsman after the don, so let's switch up the formats. What a better time than post WC to decide the best ever ODI bats. I know the ashes is beginning soon, so I might hold off on the actual countdown thread til that's nearly over(as I enjoy the discussion generated during the countdown) but I see no harm in beginning the voting process now.

You just submit, from best to 20th best, what you consider the top 20 ODI batsmen of all time. No rules beyond that. The trade off between S/R and average (Do Maxwell/Afridi belong anywhere near this list?) is up to you. The weighting of WCs to JAMODIS (Rohit > Virat?) is up to you. The importance of players being 'ahead of their era' or 'influential' (Abbas, Dean Jones and Viv for the top 3?) is also, completely, up to you. As are unfinished/shortened careers or any other variable criteria you can think of.

Look forward to seeing some lists!

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon we should do a pool first. Nominate:

Richards
Tendulkar
Kohli
Ponting
Dhoni
Bevan
Haynes
ABdV
Anwar

mr_mister

As in narrow a shortlist down to 20 names then make people vote from that 20? I did that the first few countdowns, and people were always grouchy that x player made it in over y player(though I came up with the shortlists each time, I based it heavily on CW consensus, and allowed names to be swapped if enough people thought it was the right thing). Basically I feel allowing total freedom for the spin bowling countdown created quite an interesting list imo

trundler

As in narrow a shortlist down to 20 names then make people vote from that 20? I did that the first few countdowns, and people were always grouchy that x player made it in over y player(though I came up with the shortlists each time, I based it heavily on CW consensus, and allowed names to be swapped if enough people thought it was the right thing). Basically I feel allowing total freedom for the spin bowling countdown created quite an interesting list imo
Allow total freedom but generate a pool of likely contestants first.

cnerd123

likes this
I wouldn't mind a pool of names to refer to because I'm lazy. But it's really not that hard for people to check statsguru for most runs/highest averages/highest SRs/etc

mr_mister

ah okay fair enough. i just assumed most regular posters here have fairly encyclopedic knowledges of cricketers by this point, especially the draft crew:cool:

there's nearly infinite time(in this context) to submit your lists so just take your time if you're worried about missing someone

trundler

Take away his rocket launcher of a bat and we'll see. Also true of Finch and Guptill.

trundler

Not to say he isn't an ODI ATG, just saying that in reference to his six hitting ability.

SillyCowCorner1

The best one-balled player is obviously Sir Viv.

The best player from the era of the mandatory 15 overs powerplay is Ricky Ponting

The best double-your-score-after-30-overs player is Ganguly

The best player from the era of super subs is Graeme Smith.

The best player two-ball player is Rohit

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
V.Richards
V.Kohli
S.Tendulkar
AB.DeVilliers
R.Ponting
D.Jones
MS.Dhoni
Z.Abbas
J.Miandad
A.Gilchrist
A.Symonds
J.Buttler
J.Root
B.Lara
C.Lloyd
K.Williamson
R.Taylor
M.Crowe
M.Bevan
M.Hussey
K.Pietersen
R.Sharma
M.Waugh

Just some random names I rate in the format

trundler

Surely everyone's talking out of their arse after the top 10 since there's no way objectively compare Ross Taylor and Dean Jones.

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
My top 20 ODI bats

Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Virat Kohli
AB de Villiers
Ricky Ponting

Michael Bevan
MS Dhoni
Brian Lara
Dean Jones
Greg Chappell

Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Mark Waugh
Aravinda de Silva
Saeed Anwar

Inzamam ul Huq
Sanath Jayasuriya
Gordon Greenidge
David Warner
Rohit Sharma

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In my opinion you should just do it as you want, everyone list their 20 in order, none of this nominating thing.

With that in mind:

Richards
Tendulkar
Dhoni
Kohli
Bevan
Ponting
Warner
Jones
Buttler
de Villiers
Sharma
Bairstow
Zaheer
Root
Pietersen
Hussey
Jayasuriya
M Waugh
Lamb
Trott

mr_mister

yeah we'l be doing that marc. since 2 people now have already submitted lists itl get too confusing if somebody submits another nomination style list like Red Hill did so make sure all future lists are your top 20 in order!

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Richards
2. Tendulkar
3. Kohli
4. Bevan
5. Ponting
6. Jones
7. Zaheer
8. de Villiers
9. Rohit Sharma
10. Dhoni
11. Buttler
12. Williamson
13. Root
14. Hussey
15. Jayasuriya
17. Warner
18. M Waugh
19. Lara
20. Yuvraj Singh
21. Ganguly
22. Pietersen
23. Saeed Anwar
24. Aravinda De Silva

I like the guys from 19-24 and so just extending the list to 24.