• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cameron Bancroft to captain Durham on comeback from ban

slippy888

International Captain
Cameron Bancroft will captain Durham as he continues his comeback from a ban for his part in the Australian ball-tampering scandal.

Bancroft, who was suspended for nine months over his role in the affair against South Africa at Newlands, which saw Steven Smith and David Warner banned for one year, agreed in July to join Durham as their overseas signing for 2019. Bancroft's ban ended in December, while March 29 marks the end of the international bans for Smith and Warner, who are both preparing to play in the IPL.

Bancroft replaces Paul Collingwood as captain of Durham's County Championship and Royal London Cup sides following Collingwood's retirement at the end of the 2018 season.

Cameron Bancroft to captain Durham on comeback from ban | ESPNcricinfo.com

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's 26, has never done it at any significant level AFAIK, and won't even know most or all of the players since he's played never played for them.

They must be absolutely desperate, it's slightly reminiscent of amateur captains in the past, or when Botha captained South Australia.

andmark

International Captain
I'd be gutted as a Durham fan if a ball tamperer replaced a great servant of the county tbh.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously a shortage of openers in Durham. Latham (guaranteed to be at the CWC) and Markram (a v good chance to be at the CWC) played for the county last year.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Bancroft could be a good opener for Durham but making him captain is very strange. Also there is some chance he will be on the Australia A tour. It seems Harris will be one opener, not sure if Burns is going to be on the A tour. If not Bancroft is probably next in line to be the second opener.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cricinfo

Wood admits surprise at Bancroft role
England quick Mark Wood admitted his initial surprise at Cameron Bancroft's elevation to the Durham captaincy had turned into the belief that it was "a good appointment".

"I thought 'that's a gutsy call'. I probably wouldn't have done that but having given it more thought it's probably the right option.

"We have a young team so there were only two other players I thought could have done it. One would have been Alex Lees, but at this time in his career it's probably better that he focuses on himself and goes under the radar a little bit. The other one would be Chris Rushworth, but we all know bowlers never become captains because they think that we're dumb."

:laugh:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see the big deal with Bancroft captaining. I mean when you've got du Plessis and Chandimal captaining international teams perpetually despite being caught tampering (in du Plessis' case multiple times) while being captain then Bancroft captaining a domestic team is hardly that controversial. And in a country proud of their recent systematic ball-tampering history at that.

Daemon

It definitely shows that Bancroft is a team man since he was willing to take one for the team.

In FdP and Chandimal's case it shouldn't be viewed as cheating while they were captains, but instead they were in a way cheating because they were captains. They took the responsibility to do it themselves instead of throwing someone else under the bus.

Borges

International Regular
Let this Bancroft be; just another poor rookie, pressured into doing the dirty work for the senior management.

TheJediBrah

It definitely shows that Bancroft is a team man since he was willing to take one for the team.

In FdP and Chandimal's case it shouldn't be viewed as cheating while they were captains, but instead they were in a way cheating because they were captains. They took the responsibility to do it themselves instead of throwing someone else under the bus.
Agreed. My point is that ball tampering is clearly not something that has a history of precluding someone from being a captain