• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Onwards and Upwards

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not backwards, upwards, forwards but twirling, twirling, twiiirwling toward being competitive test teams

andmark

International Captain
Not backwards, upwards, forwards but twirling, twirling, twiiirwling toward being competitive test teams
I too dreamed of being a baseball when I was a young boy.

In all seriousness, that was a good article and I love the statistical anomalies which come with teams' early test matches. The point about visiting spinners on helpful surfaces was also interesting. Nathan Lyon went on about how in the Subcontinent, it's useful to get backspin on the ball- essentially causing a slider or arm ball. Peter Philpott, writing presumably in his Australian homeland warned that sliders on helpful surfaces can end up turning wildly, so yeah, it must take some adapting. Good article.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, Joyce retired pretty much straight (about a week) after Ireland had finished their first test and O'Brien called it a day last October
Yeah these blows were expected, but Wilson being out for an extended period with his vision problem on top of that really hurt.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, Joyce retired pretty much straight (about a week) after Ireland had finished their first test and O'Brien called it a day last October
That's a shame.

I remember when Zimbabwe toured NZ in 1996, during a tea break or something - Dave Houghton was interviewed. Still playing aged 44, in fact IIRC he scored a century in that match. When asked why he was still going at aged 44 he told the the interviewer that he wanted to set the batting records for these young guys (e.g. Any Flower) to have a target to chase.

Zim got test status when he was already 40 years old.

What a legend.
Step up Niall and Ed .......