• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Usman Khawaja vs Mark Taylor

Better batsman

• Usman Khawaja

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Mark Taylor

Votes: 42 72.4%

• Total voters

Borges

International Regular
Lemma: M[SUB]T[/SUB] = U[SUB]K[/SUB] + M[SUB]U
[/SUB]
In words, Mark Taylor would be a moderate upgrade over Usman Khawaja.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He had the chance to break Lara’s 375, but respectfully declared on Bradman's 334.

Ahh nostalgia
Good story, but sadly not true. Was most likely going to declare overnight, and has said himself he had an over at the end of the day to score runs that would have taken him past Bradman's 334 (at the time the highest score by an Aust). Was trying to score runs in that last over, he himself said "I'm sure Bradman would have done the same"

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good story, but sadly not true. Was most likely going to declare overnight, and has said himself he had an over at the end of the day to score runs that would have taken him past Bradman's 334 (at the time the highest score by an Aust). Was trying to score runs in that last over, he himself said "I'm sure Bradman would have done the same"
It was clearly a myth. Somehow we hold that 375 so special. And the fact that he declared while on that score even adds to the mysticism.

TheJediBrah

The essence of the story is still true. He still declared on 334, if he really wanted to beat Bradman's score he could have just batted for another few overs the next day and lost nothing in the way of time.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tubbs understood that it would be better remembered if it equaled but not beat Bradman's record. He'd have been called selfish to come out the next day just to beat the record. If it was Steve Waugh, he'd have called it "mental disintegration" making his opponents field the next morning.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The essence of the story is still true. He still declared on 334, if he really wanted to beat Bradman's score he could have just batted for another few overs the next day and lost nothing in the way of time.
He says in interviews that he had no qualms going past the Don's score, and was trying to in the last over. You can see from the last ball in this clip, he had no probs with wanting to go past the Don.

TheJediBrah

He says in interviews that he had no qualms going past the Don's score, and was trying to in the last over. You can see from the last ball in this clip, he had no probs with wanting to go past the Don.
Yeah I did understand what you said the first time, my point was that there wasn't really much stopping him for batting on for a bit the next morning if he really desperately wanted the record. I'm sure a lot of players/captains would have. So even if the story isn't entirely true, there is some essence of truth to it.