• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What Qualifies as a Test Allrounder?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Just thinking about the criteria I should set for my test allrounders list. Currently, it is an adjusted batting average of 20.00 or more and 1 or more wickets per innings. This eliminates batting allrounders such as Steve Waugh and Dougie Walters who would otherwise finish high up the list.

I'm thinking that Graeme Swann and Ryan Harris shouldn't be thought of as allrounders, though. Perhaps I should raise the batting average cut-off to 25.00, but this would eliminate Wasim Akram, Alan Davidson, and others.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe account for not outs or fifties per innings? I'm sure there would always be some weird omissions and inclusions anyway.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Maybe bat in 80 percent innings and bowl more than 7 overs in 80 percent. Or perhaps generally bat top 8 and bowl top 5. I think the bowling definitely needs a quantity participation thing.

Victor Ian

International Coach
An all rounder should not be someone useful with bat or useful with ball, if you get what I mean. They should be someone being picked to make a reasonable contribution with both. Averages alone won't identify this.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Whether or not you played as an allrounder shouldn't be measured by how good you were at it. Shivron Hetmyer averages 19, but he's still a batsman.

smash84

The Tiger King
Just thinking about the criteria I should set for my test allrounders list. Currently, it is an adjusted batting average of 20.00 or more and 1 or more wickets per innings. This eliminates batting allrounders such as Steve Waugh and Dougie Walters who would otherwise finish high up the list.

I'm thinking that Graeme Swann and Ryan Harris shouldn't be thought of as allrounders, though. Perhaps I should raise the batting average cut-off to 25.00, but this would eliminate Wasim Akram, Alan Davidson, and others.

Thoughts?
25 is not a bad cutoff. Akram and Davidson and Marshall weren't really all rounders so they should be out of the list.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I was actually surprised that Davo never scored a test century.

Wasim has a huge double century vs. Zimbabwe and not much else.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Frank Woolley was also an all-rounder in first-class cricket, but not really an all-rounder in tests.
17 overs a test seems enough to me. Generally I've seen people put a cut off at around 1 w/m, though I personally think that's slightly too low.

For comparison Watson bowled 15.5 overs a test.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Percentage of team’s overs is better.

And yes, 1 wicket a match is a little low. 1 wicket per innings is better.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Though the percentage of teams overs can change dramatically if you are touring Australia or India depending on what you bowl.

Looking at the England side I would say Stokes, Woakes and Moeen are genuine all rounders. Rashid and early Broad bowlers who know which end of the bat to hold and can make vital contributions and Curran we need to wait to see more of as he could be a freak.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doesn't take into account team / condition dynamics with any adequacy.

No way. That excludes Watson, and Kallis (292 in 272) only just scrapes in. Should be somewhere between 1 and 1.5 at the most.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
The likes of Marshall and Akram are not, but Davidson is definitely an allrounder for me. A bowling average of 20 and batting average of 24 is downright awesome( Much better than someone with bowl. average of 30 and batting average of 34). Only thing that is pulling down Davo slightly is longevity.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Here are my criterias for allrounders.

1) Batting average of 40+ or bowling average of less than 30. ( This ensures that the player is good enough to be in the team on primary discipline alone)
2) At least 3 wickets or 60 runs per match. ( The depth of contribution in primary skill)
3) Batting average greater than bowling average. (Most important criteria)
4) At least 30 runs and 1.5 wickets per match. (The depth of contribution in secondary skill)
5) At least 40 test matches. ( Longevity)