• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

VVS Laxman v Graham Thorpe

Better Test Batsman

• Laxman

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Thorpe

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Thorpe

M: 100
Av: 44.66
100: 16
50: 39
Hs: 200*

Laxman

M: 134
Av: 45.97
100: 17
50: 56
Hs: 281

Laxman has a superior average when batting between 4-6 (48.70) compared to Thorpe (44.38), whilst Thorpe has a superior average away from home (44.16), compare to Laxman (42.49). Both average 45+ against Australia and average 40+ in the majority of conditions - Thorpe everywhere bar SA and Zim, Laxman everywhere bar Bng, Eng, Pak. Neither suffered any notable statistical decline towards the end of their careers. Lamxan with more 150+ scores (6), than Thorpe (1), though Thorpe with a better test per 100 ratio (6.25 v 7.8).

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I liked Graham Thorpe enormously but he was bloody frustrating at times - he did get better but the sense of foreboding every time he resumed an innings after an interval or the next day was justified far too often - should've averaged north of 50

Xuhaib

International Coach
Vvs by quite a bit though Thorpe was pretty good too.Both were pretty clutch aswell.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Thorpe never tried to hit a tailender in the middle of the pitch was almost getting run out, so Laxman.

a massive zebra

International Captain
VVS Laxman was much better on the eye and played a number of unforgetable matchwinning innings that were leagues ahead of anything Thorpe ever did. Laxman's overall figures are negatively impacted by a relatively unsuccessful stint as opener. If one was to purely compare their performances as middle order players, I don't think their records were as similar as the opening post implies.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I have massive respect for Thorpy efforts in Pakistan and srilanka on the 2000 tours the way he handled Saqlain and Murali was a masterclass

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Overall batting average in Tests involving Laxman = 34; in Tests involving Thorpe = 30. (The gap's about the same if you only consider runs scored by/against India/England, or only consider runs scored by top 7 batsmen).

a massive zebra

International Captain
Overall batting average in Tests involving Laxman = 34; in Tests involving Thorpe = 30. (The gap's about the same if you only consider runs scored by/against India/England, or only consider runs scored by top 7 batsmen).
Isn't this primarily a product of the relative strengths of the two teams? For most of their careers, India definitely had a stronger batting lineup and England were probably a stronger bowling unit. Therefore, all things being equal, one would expect the overall batting average in matches played by Laxman to be higher.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Those thirty or extra tests.. Laxman was really good for a period at the end of his career where he played crucial knocks in series defining knocks. Laxman for me.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Isn't this primarily a product of the relative strengths of the two teams? For most of their careers, India definitely had a stronger batting lineup and England were probably a stronger bowling unit. Therefore, all things being equal, one would expect the overall batting average in matches played by Laxman to be higher.
But surely it's easier to score more runs when batting alongside Dravid and Tendulkar than (say) Butcher and Crawley.

One curiosity about Thorpe's figures - since you mentioned Laxman's average taking a hit from a stint as an opener - is that while Laxman did well at any position from 3 to 6 (average 44-50), Thorpe had a great record batting at 5 (56.21), an OK record at 3 or 4 (41.88), and a miserable record batting at 6 (18.80). It's less easy to explain this than Laxman's lower average opening.

Jack1

International Debutant
I liked Graham Thorpe enormously but he was bloody frustrating at times - he did get better but the sense of foreboding every time he resumed an innings after an interval or the next day was justified far too often - should've averaged north of 50
His knock to deny Tudor of a hundred is the most disgraceful innings I've ever seen in an England shirt. Thorpe's whole career has a mark against it because of that innings. He ruined the greatest nightwatchman knock ever played (in my opinion) and should be ashamed.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
VVS was lovely to watch and did play one if the greatest ever Test knocks but overall, I’d give it to Thorpe as the better pure Test match bat.

Jack1

International Debutant
Whatever Tudor says, or feels, isn't that relevant. I didn't listen to that as a result as it won't change how I feel. It was a very selfish act by Thorpe. No matter what Tudor had said to me, or whatever he had been like, I would have made sure I didn't score a run until he made the hundred. Humble, and modest, individuals don't actively seek fame or individual success. Tudor deserved it for that knock and Thorpe denied him of it.

Jack1

International Debutant
You seem to care a lot about it...

Laxman for me. Played more magical innings. Thorpe was quality too though.
English doesn’t seem to be your strong suit. Your comment makes zero sense in reply to me.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely laxman for me. Much longer career and the opening stint is what caused him to end with an average below 50.

Thorpe was damn good too though. Imo better than the likes of azharuddin.