• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pandya vs CdG vs Holder vs Stokes vs Holder vs Chris Morris vs Marsh and whoever else

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Shakib is largely unchallenged in the modern game as the best top 7 option who bowls.

But who is second best in all formats?

Is H Pandya a fraud?

Is Holder going to continue bowling well?

Is CdG a real talent or a myth?

Will Marsh continue to find runs or did he bully an away England team?

Discuss.

Who is the second best after Shakib in any format. Tests or ODI.

And should some of these teams just play an additional batsman in tests anyway?

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I'm not sure I'd take Stokes over CdG in tests. In ODI or t20, absolutely I would take Stokes at this stage. But in tests, I'm not so sure.

And while very happy with CdG - I'm not even sure I'd play him if he lost batting form.

And where does Holder's recent form fit into this?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, pretty interesting thread, because so many of them are sort of at a crossroads of sorts.

You'd probably have to pick Stokes right now, at least if you were looking at someone to bat in the top six and be the fifth bowler (I'd probably take Holder if I was looking for more of a 4th-bowler 7th/8th-batsman type deal) but the others could all overtake with a couple of good series (besides Morris; not gonna happen IMO).

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Holder is looking great but his away bowling need to be tested more.
Yeah, he can bat well, but can he bowl well away from home?

To BCCI fans, don't be afraid to include Ashwin and Jadeja in the debate just because Pandya is already mentioned.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yeah, pretty interesting thread, because so many of them are sort of at a crossroads of sorts.

You'd probably have to pick Stokes right now, at least if you were looking at someone to bat in the top six and be the fifth bowler (I'd probably take Holder if I was looking for more of a 4th-bowler 7th/8th-batsman type deal) but the others could all overtake with a couple of good series (besides Morris; not gonna happen IMO).
Morris was very, I repeat, very disappointing in England last year.

Who have I missed?

Eng (Stokes), Ind (Pandya, Ashwin, Jadeja), BD (Shakib) WI (Holder), NZ (CdG), SA (Morris et al), Pak prolly has Shadab Khan soon, Aus (MMarsh).

I guess AFG has Nabi.

Who else?

That is 9/12.

I won't include Angelo.

9/11.

Who is missing? (Zim and Ire - well pretty explanatory really).

Gotta say - I like Shadhab Khan rising on this list. I really do. I rate him, especially in limited overs.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Morris was very, I repeat, very disappointing in England last year.

Who have I missed?

Eng (Stokes), Ind (Pandya, Ashwin, Jadeja), BD (Shakib) WI (Holder), NZ (CdG), SA (Morris et al), Pak prolly has Shadab Khan soon, Aus (MMarsh).

I guess AFG has Nabi.

Who else?

That is 9/12.

I won't include Angelo.

9/11.

Who is missing? (Zim and Ire - well pretty explanatory really).

Gotta say - I like Shadhab Khan rising on this list. I really do. I rate him, especially in limited overs.
I like to think of it more as best seam bowling allrounder as opposed to second best allrounder overall. I realise this isn't actually the thread you started and you're within your rights to set your own rules to your thread, but debating the second best of something always seems a bit ekh to me, like I could probably do something more interesting with my time. So that'd rule out Nabi and Shadab.

Colin's the one who could probably change my mind the quickest. You probably couldn't ask for more with the ball as a batting allrounder -- awesome when conditions suit, tight when they don't -- and he's done well the bat so far. He has a really good (albeit basic) batting technique too -- he's very aggressive with the bat but tends to play classical cricket shots, especially to the quicks. I think I'd rather have him as a bowling option in my side than Stokes (unless I'd been given forewarning of the conditions and they were going to be dry, of course), which means if he equals him with the bat too then he's there in my mind. It's easier said than done but it's very possible.

The CW opinion of Holder kind of confuses me a bit. When people said his batting was already very good and that he needed to work on his bowling, they meant in the context of him being a bowling allrounder, right? Because at no stage have I ever thought his batting was better than his bowling. That seems like an opinion from Mars to me.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh I thought this thread was about fast bowling all rounders. Ashwin definitely better than the others bar Stokes then imo.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I like to think of it more as best seam bowling allrounder as opposed to second best allrounder overall. I realise this isn't actually the thread you started and you're within your rights to set your own rules to your thread, but debating the second best of something always seems a bit ekh to me, like I could probably do something more interesting with my time. So that'd rule out Nabi and Shadab.

Colin's the one who could probably change my mind the quickest. You probably couldn't ask for more with the ball as a batting allrounder -- awesome when conditions suit, tight when they don't -- and he's done well the bat so far. He has a really good (albeit basic) batting technique too -- he's very aggressive with the bat but tends to play classical cricket shots, especially to the quicks. I think I'd rather have him as a bowling option in my side than Stokes (unless I'd been given forewarning of the conditions and they were going to be dry, of course), which means if he equals him with the bat too then he's there in my mind. It's easier said than done but it's very possible.

The CW opinion of Holder kind of confuses me a bit. When people said his batting was already very good and that he needed to work on his bowling, they meant in the context of him being a bowling allrounder, right? Because at no stage have I ever thought his batting was better than his bowling. That seems like an opinion from Mars to me.
Overall I agree with your sentiment, but I don't want to trump spin with seam for the sake of being best or second best. We all know Shakib is well respected (he was beating Botham in a CW poll on here for months).

There is no shame at all to second best, someone has to bowl up hill and into the wind, someone has to bat 3 or 4.

So whether it is spin or seam, makes little difference to me. People can debate Roston Charles and I'd be happy.

I do come from a country where the spin bowlers have been Howarth, Boock, Bracewell, Patel (Dipak, I am not crediting Jeetan here), Hart, Vettori, Craig and Santner, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen Kumble, Murali, Warne or Ajmal (and Ashwin and Jadeja in Asia) do their thing neither.

Spin is relevant. So is seam.

I think Shakib is very good. Asian batsmen in tests in Asia may find him easy scoring, but he has stood up to bad and good NZ teams with both bat and ball. He beat Aus at home in a test singlehandedly. The guy can play. We all know this.

Colin was Hesson's biggest right call and he made many. He got some wrong, no doubt. But no cricket pundit, not even NZ ones's expected CdG's test success to this degree. Hesson can go to his grave knowing he got that one right against the wind of popular opinion. Well done Hesson. Some sections of the media still doubted it AFTER Pak And SA. When he was pretty much already proven as a success.

Last edited: