• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ball discussion

Bolo

State Captain
SG, Kookaburra, and Duke.

What is your preferred ball type?

Should we be standardizing? Would this make cricket less interesting by standardising conditions, or make it more interesting by helping negate some of the home advantage?

srbhkshk

International Captain
Personally, a team overcoming everything being stacked against it in an away series is a thing of beauty when it happens. Definitely wouldn't want that to become cheap.

Kookaburra sucks though fwiw.

Bolo

State Captain
Tests are plenty stacked against away teams. I don't think the ball alone would cheapen wins much.

I also like home advantage, I just would prefer it to be a little less. I also like variety in conditions. But there should be a limited tradeoff between this and overall quality produced. AUS shouldn't be preparing only roads in this regard. If the kookaburra sucks to a similar extent (which I'm not sure about) it should be scrapped.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No need for standardisation but I have made my views on the Kookaburra pretty clear around here.

Actually, anyone reckon that the bowling team should get to choose?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Personally, a team overcoming everything being stacked against it in an away series is a thing of beauty when it happens. Definitely wouldn't want that to become cheap.

Kookaburra sucks though fwiw.
Well summed up.

Though, the pink kookaburra now seems quite good, seems to do more than the red even in daytime.

Bolo

State Captain
Actually, anyone reckon that the bowling team should get to choose?
This is an interesting idea. It would be fun to try. Might result in some type of arms race with manufacturers trying to make balls more bowler friendly in order to get higher usage though. Would end in tears, but it would be a great journey.

Is any ball inherently more bowler friendly as they stand today? They offer different advantages, but are they equal?

Starfighter

Is any ball inherently more bowler friendly as they stand today? They offer different advantages, but are they equal?
The Dukes ball has a much more prominent seam and is harder, so it swings more and for much longer than the Kookaburra, and there's better carry for longer and more bounce for the spinners.

I honestly can't think of any advantages that the Kookaburra provides the bowlers.

Bolo

State Captain
The Dukes ball has a much more prominent seam and is harder, so it swings more and for much longer than the Kookaburra, and there's better carry for longer and more bounce for the spinners.

I honestly can't think of any advantages that the Kookaburra provides the bowlers.
Scuffs quicker. Better for reverse and probably some spinners.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm not a fan of Kookaburra, but I've seen worse balls and have yet to try SG or Dukes

We may start using the Pink Kookaburra in Junior Leagues in HK, so I'm pretty interested in seeing how that goes. Assuming of course everyone agrees.

I think the only benefit of the kookaburra is that since it offers very little for the bowler, it does make those with great skill sets really shine. Whereas the Duke for instance swings for basically any club medium pacer. Its also a fair satisfying ball to field, some cheaper brands hurt your hands, but again never tried the SG or Dukes so can't compare.

Starfighter

Scuffs quicker. Better for reverse and probably some spinners.
It does scuff a bit quicker but it's harder to keep a shine on and get the required contrast. I remember reading an article somewhere on cricinfo not too long ago where Darren Gough and a couple of others experimented with the different balls and the Kookaburra took by far the longest to reverse swing. I remember in the 2013 Ashes on one of the dryer pitches the Dukes was reversing about 25 overs in while the Kookaburra usually takes 45-50 on similarly dry pitches in Australia.

I'm not sure which spinners it would suit. I remember in the 2016 SL vs Aus series in low bouncing conditions the spinners were more dangerous with the harder new ball.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
It does scuff a bit quicker but it's harder to keep a shine on and get the required contrast. I remember reading an article somewhere on cricinfo not too long ago where Darren Gough and a couple of others experimented with the different balls and the Kookaburra took by far the longest to reverse swing. I remember in the 2013 Ashes on one of the dryer pitches the Dukes was reversing about 25 overs in while the Kookaburra usually takes 45-50 on similarly dry pitches in Australia.

I'm not sure which spinners it would suit. I remember in the 2016 SL vs Aus series in low bouncing conditions the spinners were more dangerous with the harder new ball in the low bouncing conditions.
AUS got the kookaburra reversing just after 30 overs one game in the last series and kept it going for 60 overs. Some question marks over methodology I suppose. I don't remember seeing the Duke reverse anywhere near that early, but I guess I'm not accounting for pitches at all. I don't really know enough, just was an assumption.

Thinking of more grip for the spinners. I guess the guys who use less flight would benefit more. Everyone benefits from bounce though. Again, I don't know enough.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've used the Kookaburra Turf (nets only) and SG Test. The latter is a far cheaper and imo superior ball for club cricket. Prominent seam, easy to shine and swings for ages (sometimes more when it's older). Both scuff up easily but the SG is easy to maintain. Kookaburra gets soft earlier and is only good early in the innings.

Both have their place in Tests imo. Without the Kookaburra we wouldn't see a lot of hit the deck, really fast type bowlers coming from Australia.

Borges

International Regular
Play cricket with standardised balls, perhaps on standardised (synthetic) pitches?
Leave that for the kind of farce going on in England these days.

Bolo

State Captain

I'm not sure which spinners it would suit. I remember in the 2016 SL vs Aus series in low bouncing conditions the spinners were more dangerous with the harder new ball.
Not sure if this is article is what you meant, but it supports what you are saying and is a really interesting read

Reverse swing: an English tale | The Cricket Monthly | ESPN Cricinfo

Information such as a breakdown of how long on average it takes for different red balls around the world to start reversing (30 overs for Dukes, 40 to 50 for the Kookaburra, and 10 to 15 for the SG used in India).