• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help understanding Wisden 100 and CW ATG test innings lists

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
I refer you to the Wisden 100 list - rediff.com: cricket channel: Top 100 Batsmen of all time - where Wisden ranked the top 100 batting performances of all time. I am interested in learning about the indexes that were used to come up with the list.

The closest I could find online was this
rediff.com: cricket channel: The Selection Criteria

It's a very basic description of what indexes were used to generate the list. Would anyone happen to have access to more details around this? I am interested in understanding how to apply the indexes to a particular inning and how it all ties together.

I also came across 2 CW articles from some years ago by Steve Ferrier
The Greatest Test Innings: A New Look | Cricket Web

The Greatest Test Innings: A New Look | Cricket Web

Both of them use a similar process to rank the innings as Wisden did.

I am not a very stats minded person so what I think I am asking is for perhaps an example of applying the criteria to an innings - maybe step by step - so I can follow it and apply it to innings that I want to check...