• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top order (1-7) wickets percentage of great Test bowlers

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Vaas 274/355 - 77.2%
Anderson 387/514 - 75.3%
McGrath 421/563 - 74.8%
Donald 244/330 - 73.9%
Marshall 277/376 - 73.7%
Ambrose 293/405 - 72.3%
Lillee 258/355 - 72.1%
Imran 258/362 - 71.3%
Waqar 264/373 - 70.8%
Pollock 297/421 - 70.5%
Hadlee 302/431 - 70.1%
Walsh 356/519 - 68.6%
Trueman 210/307 - 68.4%
Steyn 285/417 - 68.3%
Herath 275/406 - 67.7%
Murali 540/800 - 67.5%
Kumble 418/619 - 67.5%
Ashwin 205/304 - 67.4%
Wasim 269/414 - 65%
Warne 445/708 - 62.9%

Courtesy
Bada (slcricketfans.com)
Original post Top order (1-7) wickets percentage of great Test bowlers

VAAS WAG. Doesn't get enough credit for the achievements, considering most of his hard yards were put on non-responsive SC wickets.So KUDOS for the 77%.We can't forget Murali got a good bulk of the wickets alongside Vaas.

This is a humongous effort from Vaasy

Akram uncharacteristically have a lower wicket percentage of top 1-7 wickets for a fast bowler.

Let's discuss..

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Lillee taking the top 7 WI wickets of: Haynes, Greenidge, Viv, Kalli etc much different from Vaas taking wickets of Gayle, Hinds, Saran etc. Context!!

srbhkshk

International Captain
I mean this could just as well be a negative for a pacer in that he was not very effective once the ball lost shape.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
lillee taking the top 7 wi wickets of: Haynes, greenidge, viv, kalli etc much different from vaas taking wickets of gayle, hinds, saran etc. Context!!

same with vaas taking wickets of g.smith,kallis,abd etc. Much different from ambrose taking wickets of kirsten,cullinan,cronje
context!!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wish there were stats on bowlers' averages against the top 7. Would be a lot more fruitful than this exercise, which tends to penalize a bowler for taking a tailenders wicket even if he's nipped out a few up front.

srbhkshk

International Captain
but what do you prefer bundling out the opposition quickly, or wait them to do the damage?
I'd prefer a bowler who can take wickets with both the old and the new ball, such a bowler would not necessarily have a high percentage with your method.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
I'd prefer a bowler who can take wickets with both the old and the new ball, such a bowler would not necessarily have a high percentage with your method.
Does this mean Vaas or any other top bowler takes wickets only with the new ball? This simply means these bowlers have a greater majority of their wickets consisting of a counry's top 7 batsmen.
This is not a debate about when and where you take wickets.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Does this mean Vaas or any other top bowler takes wickets only with the new ball? This simply means these bowlers have a greater majority of their wickets consisting of a counry's top 7 batsmen.
This is not a debate about when and where you take wickets.
It's related, hypothetically a bowler who was magical with the new ball and utter **** with the old one would score 100% here. Now, dial it down to actual bowlers.

I am not saying that Vaas was such a bowler, I'm saying that this stat in isolation means absolutely nothing.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
It's related, hypothetically a bowler who was magical with the new ball and utter **** with the old one would score 100% here. Now, dial it down to actual bowlers.

I am not saying that Vaas was such a bowler, I'm saying that this stat in isolation means absolutely nothing.
What has this got to do with the condition of the ball at all?

These bowlers have generally done well against the top 7 bats and that's it.

Plus what is your stance to exactly say this is due to the condition of the ball.Anyway you are getting a new ball once evry 80 balls.

smash84

The Tiger King

actually a bowler getting the tail out cheaply would be very helpful these days where the tail bats down to number and almost always shows up if the top order fails. Altthough tailenders really sucked in earlier eras

srbhkshk

International Captain
What has this got to do with the condition of the ball at all?

These bowlers have generally done well against the top 7 bats and that's it.

Plus what is your stance to exactly say this is due to the condition of the ball.Anyway you are getting a new ball once evry 80 balls.
not interested in explaining it anymore tbh, i don't think it's a very hard point to grasp..