• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bond vs. Asif - who was a bigger loss for cricket?

subshakerz

International Coach
The mid to late 2000s was a pretty fallow period for world class fast-bowling. McGrath was retiring, Shoaib was sputtering, Brett Lee was inconsistent. The only really high class consistent pacer I recall was Steyn.

The two pacers who defied this trend were Bond and Mohd Asif. Both had short careers but ended up with figures that promised more.

Bond was just a thoroughbred fast bowler, lovely action, lively pace, terrific swing and a deadly yorker. But injuries dogged him and robbed him of plenty of tests in his best years.

Asif was a fox and looked for a time to be McGrath's natural heir. On a pitch with a touch of seam or swing, he could be unplayable, and was extremely intelligent. Both DeVillier and KP have said he was the best they faced. But we all know what happened to him.

Who was a bigger loss to cricket?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I'd say Asif simply because he is a much rarer breed of bowler in modern cricket. A master of the subtleties of swing and seam, without the kind of pace a guy like Anderson has, or the bounce of McGrath. The closest parallel in the last couple of decades who has been successful is probably Bhuvi, and he's great but not as good as Asif was. Asif was a throwback to an older era.

There are a few bowlers who are in the mould of Bond -Steyn, Pattinson, even a guy like Southee- but almost no one like Asif. So id say he's more sorely missed.

Kirkut

International Regular
I still remember that Karachi spell from Asif against us, best seam bowling spectacle ever, and I've watched enough of Mcgrath and Ambrose to attest this fact. But my feelings for Asif are same as that for Azharuddin, Azhar was a genius and probably would have been my most favourite batsman of all time had he not brought disrepute to the game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say Asif simply because he is a much rarer breed of bowler in modern cricket. A master of the subtleties of swing and seam, without the kind of pace a guy like Anderson has, or the bounce of McGrath. The closest parallel in the last couple of decades who has been successful is probably Bhuvi, and he's great but not as good as Asif was. Asif was a throwback to an older era.

There are a few bowlers who are in the mould of Bond -Steyn, Pattinson, even a guy like Southee- but almost no one like Asif. So id say he's more sorely missed.
Asif was a lot more like Broad, I don't see any similarity to Bhuvi tbh.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
I was a big fan of both. That NZ-Pak series in 09 when Akmal made his debut was a really enjoyable one, purely because of Bond vs Asif contest. Both dominated that series, and add in a young promising Aamir at the time, it was a great series for fast bowling.

If Bond was less injury prone, and Asif not a controversy magnet, both would have given Steyn legitimate competition for best in the world.

Personally, I enjoyed watching Asif more. The lazy run up, wristy action, the cunning smile that showed he knew exactly what he was doing. Just brilliant.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bond was a more exciting bowler, an express bowler that could get genuine swing. He also wasn't a ****ing cheat.

So Bond.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Philander.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bond was just a thoroughbred fast bowler, lovely action, lively pace, terrific swing and a deadly yorker. But injuries dogged him and robbed him of plenty of tests in his best years.
Also don't forget the BCCI bullying the ICC to ban him for 2 years for playing in the ICL, even though he'd received a NOC to play by NZC.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bond was exhilarating to watch when got in rhythm. Made all the more spectacular by the excruciating mediocrity that was trundling in at the other end.

Asif definitely the bigger missed opportunity for cricket fans though. Bond was never going to have a great test career, his body just couldn't handle what he was putting it through. Even if he hadn't been pointlessly banned in 2008, I doubt he would've played more than a half dozen more tests for New Zealand. In fact I think there's a very good chance he would've retired from tests anyway after the 2008 tour of England (if he'd made it that far). Asif on the other hand could easily have 300+ test wickets by now if it wasn't for his own self-destructive tendencies.

Kirkut

International Regular
Asif was a lot more like Broad, I don't see any similarity to Bhuvi tbh.
Asif was not as quick as Broad, he was in 127-130 range. I guess ***** was comparing them to Sydney Barnes era where bowlers would get a batsman out by testing their skills against the moving ball instead of the modern era approach of bowling short stuff at high pace.

the big bambino

International Captain
Agree with Bahnz comments on Bond. Asif type of bowler isn't so uncommon in modern cricket. I think Philander is much the same in style while Tremlett at his best wasn't that much quicker in pace. In Australia we have Copeland and Sayers who have magnificent fc records in a country that supposedly doesn't favour their style of bowling.

cnerd123

likes this
I can see the similarity a bit between Broad and Asif, as in they have slightly similar actions, but Broad is a lot quicker and a lot less consistent with his ability to move the ball around at will. Broad also does like to bowl short or to book dry.

Philander is a good shout. He's the kind of bowler I'm taking about. The accurate swing and seam master is a rare breed in today's world.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bond was banned? I thought he retired because his body gave out on him.

As an Australian I can say I genuinely feared facing Bond. He would rip through our side regularly. Asif was really good but I'd have preferred to see more of Bond than Asif.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shane Bond was a frightening figure. Such elegance and efficiency in that run-up of his...almost no drag on his body...smooth action, and delivering bombs....oh, what a cricketer he was...

Asif to me was Pakistan's bowling equivalent of Mohammad Yousuf- Youhanna. Dibbly-doobly approach to the bowling crease, and as soon as the ball left his hand it started to do its own thing...banana swing. Add to that hairstyle of his--- "As soon as I finish my delivery stride, I turn around, and amble back to my bowling mark, but before I get there, I have to run my fingers through my manly and handsome head of hair...not allowing even a single follicle to be crooked."

Oh mid-2000s, how have I missed you!