• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sore losers

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was reminded by someone of this Richie Richardson post match interview after WI lost the 95 series vs Australia. Got to be one of the least gracious losing speeches ever.

Any others come to mind? India after Sydney 08 and the 654 times Australia cried about spinning pitches up there too. But any specific interviews like Richie's?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not quite the same, but in the same spirit the one from his Bumbliness

"We murdered 'em, we flipping murdered 'em,"

flibbertyjibber

Ha, never seen that before. By then they weren't that good anyway as they couldn't even beat the shambolic English 90's side a few months later. History proves the Aussies were on the rise at the time started by Burgey's mate TOTAB and taken on a level each time the captaincy changed thereafter.

Bumble in Zimbabwe with his "We murdered em" comment springs to mind from an England point of view.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Lehmann making up his own facts in order to call Broad a cheat and encourage the Australian fans to sledge him for it all winter is the lowest thing I've ever seen in an interview.

For those who don't remember - Broad didn't even edge to slip, he nicked behind. Haddin parried it to slip, and it wasn't given, presumably because Dar didn't clearly hear the two noises of ball on bat and glove. Michael Clarke nicked one behind and didn't walk even when given out (he tried to use a review, unsuccessfully) in the very same match - it happens all the time, as Lehmann is well aware. But he (successfully) opted to target one player for a hate campaign over something Lehmann himself must have done dozens of times over the course of his career, because he was upset he lost.

Last edited:

Starfighter

After listening to Lehmann commentating during the Big Bash I'm surprised he could even put together that much. Only Brett Lee has struck me more instantly as being dull.

OverratedSanity

Lehmann making up his own facts in order to call Broad a cheat and encourage the Australian fans to sledge him for it all winter is the lowest thing I've ever seen in an interview.

For those who don't remember - Broad didn't even edge to slip, he nicked behind. Haddin parried it to slip, and it wasn't given, presumably because Dar didn't clearly hear the two noises of ball on bat and glove. Michael Clarke nicked one behind and didn't walk even when given out (he tried to use a review, unsuccessfully) in the very same match - it happens all the time, as Lehmann is well aware. But he (successfully) opted to target one player for a hate campaign over something Lehmann himself must have done dozens of times over the course of his career, because he was upset he lost.
The whole thing came off to me at the time as if Lehmann was looking to create a ****fight wanting to prove he was a true tough, confrontational Aussie unlike that soft South African he'd just replaced as coach.

fredfertang

There's a fantastic photo somewhere of the 1985 US Ryder Cup team behaving like a bunch of petulant toddlers after losing - would be hugely grateful if someone could find it

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Encouraging Australian crowds to 'stick it' to an opponents' player would have been a sacking offence if CA had any balls, but I suppose that was never very likely.

mr_mister

lol @ humble old "aw shucks" tubby's interview right after richie's cold analysis.

tubby was a gentle creature

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The West Indians acted like complete wankers the whole duration of that Kiwi tour. It produced this most famous moment,

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Clive Lloyd also blames the umpires for the Windies 5-1 defeat in 1975/76. He reckons Jeff Thomson bowled four no balls an over overstepping by over six inches.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Uh the Richie Richardson comment looks very bad!

Did the Lehmann-Broad thing happen at the middle of a series? If so, one could forgive Lehmann for doing this as part of a strategy.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Uh the Richie Richardson comment looks very bad!

Did the Lehmann-Broad thing happen at the middle of a series? If so, one could forgive Lehmann for doing this as part of a strategy.
I think the interview was shortly before the 2013-14 series in Australia.
The actual incident took place during the first test of the 2013 series in England.