• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Opening Pairs (ODIs)

91Jmay

International Coach
Trescothick/Knight
Hales/Roy
Strauss/Cook
Cook/Kieswetter

All decent but none spectacular. Hales/Roy could easily go down as the best as soon as 12 months time.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Trescothick/Knight
Hales/Roy
Strauss/Cook
Cook/Kieswetter

All decent but none spectacular. Hales/Roy could easily go down as the best as soon as 12 months time.
Did Strauss/Cook ever really play together? Cook only really got into the team when he inherited the captaincy from Strauss didn't he?

Bell/Cook was surprisingly effective until it wasn't.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If Hales-Roy can win us any silverware then I'll say they're our best ever opening pair.

Both have a long way to go to catch Tresco as an opening bat.

91Jmay

International Coach
Did Strauss/Cook ever really play together? Cook only really got into the team when he inherited the captaincy from Strauss didn't he?

Bell/Cook was surprisingly effective until it wasn't.
Yeah I meant Strauss and Trescothick

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Cook and Strauss for England.

Tendulkar and Sehwag for India.

Anwar and Sohail for Pakistan...tentatively.

And possibly the best opening partnership of my lifetime Hayden and Langer.

Edit: oops, we're talking about ODIs. I guess Tendulkar and Sehwag still count right?

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Boon/ Marsh
Hayden/ Gilchrist
Waugh/ Gilchrist

Warner/ Finch has been decent too

Whoever said Sohail and Anwar, that's a great shout. They were great to watch.

Haynes and Greenidge from my youth.

Sanath and Kalu were awesome as well.