• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What does AB De Villiers need achieve to surpass Viv Richards as the ODI's greatest

HashiraMadara

Cricket Spectator
So Sir Viv comes at:

innings 167
not outs 24
runs 6721
HS 189*
avg 47.00
balls faced 7451
strike rate 90.20
100s 11
50s 45

He played those 167 innings over 10 years. Missed a few matches meaning it was never consistent to get an ODI series those days. Never wore helmet, never batted in a power play, no field restrictions, avg pitch sizes were bigger and to top it off he had thinner bats.

His ODI average is something of wonders. His debut was in 1975 by 1980 with over 1000 runs and 26 matches, he was averaging over 60. it gradually decreased a bit, by 1987 he had played over 100 ODI matches and innings with almost 5000 ODI runs with average still above 50. As old as he was he refused to give up the game. Slogged his way to 167 ODI innings, his averaged dropping to 47 in the end. One thing remained constant, his strike rate at 90.

So the word King Viv clearly comes from striking the ball at 90 across all bowlers over a decade with no slowing down.

Such a record seemed untouchable until ABD. Now here is a contrast, ABD did the opposite of Viv Richards. Started slow and average, later on rocketed and left everyone behind by some gap.

AB De Villiers:

innings 207
not outs 38
runs 9175
HS 162*
avg 54.28
balls faced 9160
strike rate 100.16
100s 24
50s 52

Now the man seems to be destined for greatness. Let's why I compare the two and ask this question. Some advantages ABD has: thicker bats, smaller grounds, helmet, power plays, fielding restrictions...

As the opposite of Viv Richards, his first 3 years in old were quite average and comparable to his peers. His first ODI 2005, after 3 years he had played 62 matches accumulated 2002 runs at 37.07. You won't guess what happens next. After this horrid start to a career the man changed batting position to 4/5, his record from 2008 - now is
innigns 145
not outs 32
runs 7137
HS 162*
avg 63.15
balls faced 6791
strike rate 105.09
100s 21
50s 40

this seems what a current batsman must have to finally surpass Lord Viv isn't it? Avg of 63 and strike rate of 105 over 9 years and 145 innings! If you are watching him right now, he isn't slowing down but keeps on piling runs over runs!

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ABdV would have to strike at 120 to be comparable to Viv. He doesn't. End of convo.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would absolutely question the both premises that he's second to Viv in ODIs and that Viv is number 1. Not that I don't think Viv isn't a badass and even accounting for different eras, Viv's record is superb but a clear number 1 bat in ODI's is tough.

HashiraMadara

Cricket Spectator
Needs to get past Kohli for starters.
Get past Kohli? You real? Kohli is non existent when you count ABD record since his(kohli's) debut 2008.

Complete record:
Kohli:

innings 171
not outs 25
runs 7755
HS 183
avg 53.11
balls faced 8544
strike rate 90.76
100s 27
50s 39

ABD:

innings 207
not outs 38
runs 9175
HS 162*
avg 54.28
balls faced 9160
strike rate 100.16
100s 24
50s 52

Kohli, like ABD give him head start into 3 years experience( in his case it should be after 2012)

Kohli since 2012(given 3 years jump)

innings 85
not outs 13
runs 3892
HS 154*
avg 54.05
balls faced 4083
strike rate 95.32
100s 14
50s 18

meanwhile ABD record since 2008(after 3 years of his debut)

innigns 145
not outs 32
runs 7137
HS 162*
avg 63.15
balls faced 6791
strike rate 105.09
100s 21
50s 40

this is not even a competition, ABD squashes VK thoroughly, it gets worse as years go by: you can choose any year after 2008, whether since 2012, 2009 or 2013 the gap gets bigger as ABD avg climbs up with the years and SR goes up to 115!

So the only excuse I'll give you is of a deterred cricket knowledge

Last edited:

HashiraMadara

Cricket Spectator
Would absolutely question the both premises that he's second to Viv in ODIs and that Viv is number 1. Not that I don't think Viv isn't a badass and even accounting for different eras, Viv's record is superb but a clear number 1 bat in ODI's is tough.
Let me guess, you would put Bevan or Tendulkar ahead of them or Zaheer Abbas or you are a fence sitter on this one?

Top_Cat

haha, Jesus. Way to make new friends champ.

Nah you're right. AB DeVilliers a clear number 1 and everyone with an alternative opinion is either wrong or biased. Can a mod close the thread pls? The debate is over.

Last edited:

HashiraMadara

Cricket Spectator
ABdV has not won a WC thus loses to anybody that has...
I hear you, with this conclusion you gave me I come with bowlers bettering Allan Donald:

Piyush Chawla
Munaf Patel
Ashish Nehra
Pat Cummins
Asanka Gurusinha
Chaminda Vaas

why?... oh yeah they won a World Cup therefore they better Allan Donald as he didn't.

FYI only WC record bettering ABD is Andrew Symonds. ABD is number 2 and Viv at 3 with the best World Cup records. Somehow beings like you exist to ignore all that and form wild requirements.

haha, Jesus. Way to make new friends champ.

Nah you're right. AB DeVilliers a clear number 1 and everyone with an alternative opinion is either wrong or biased. Can a mod close the thread pls? The debate is over.
Barring the Kohli spin off the thread broke no rules and my question is far from being given an honest answer.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
I think you are wrong there. Allan Donald was a great bowler. I'd have him below Chawla and Munaf but above Ashish. He was that good!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You can't compare with stats for starters. Viv played in an era when ODI average of 30-32 was considered decent in one day cricket. When players didn't wear helmets. When bowlers could bowl more than one bouncer an over in limited overs cricket. In ODIs, winning a world cup matters as far as legacy goes, just as winning an NBA Championship matters in basketball. If AB won 2 world cups, he might have the same aura. Or maybe if he chewed gum like Viv.

HashiraMadara

Cricket Spectator
I think you are wrong there. Allan Donald was a great bowler. I'd have him below Chawla and Munaf but above Ashish. He was that good!
You missed the sarcasm a bit. Allan betters all those bowlers. I can only think of McGrath, Waqar and Joel Garner as the only ones with a better record. The problem is the guy there says a declaration to a great player must be a world cup. I listed him a bunch sub par players who were part of a WC winning squads.

You can't compare with stats for starters. Viv played in an era when ODI average of 30-32 was considered decent in one day cricket. When players didn't wear helmets. When bowlers could bowl more than one bouncer an over in limited overs cricket.
I understand, hence the higher bar he has to reach before we call him a Viv equal.

In ODIs, winning a world cup matters as far as legacy goes, just as winning an NBA Championship matters in basketball. If AB won 2 world cups, he might have the same aura.
Tendulkar was almost as worshiped as much as he is now as before 2011 WC

Or maybe if he chewed gum like Viv.
I chuckled a bit there, maybe that is the case

Last edited:

tobe_ornot2

Banned
How can AB get to Viv? As great as AB is, he is not yet no. 2, let alone no. 1. Ponting is a greater ODI batsman than AB and in my opinion, he is the greatest ODI batsman period. Now I know in the opinions of many others, they will say Viv, I'm ok with that but Ponting would then be a clear number 2, throw in Tendulkar and AB falls down the list a bit more. Certainly top 5.

OverratedSanity

viriya

International Captain
How can AB get to Viv? As great as AB is, he is not yet no. 2, let alone no. 1. Ponting is a greater ODI batsman than AB and in my opinion, he is the greatest ODI batsman period. Now I know in the opinions of many others, they will say Viv, I'm ok with that but Ponting would then be a clear number 2, throw in Tendulkar and AB falls down the list a bit more. Certainly top 5.
I think AB, Viv and Sachin all clearly have better ODI records than Ponting. The GOAT conversation only involves those 3 and imo just AB and Viv now.

Shri

Mr. Glass
get past kohli? You real? Kohli is non existent when you count abd record since his(kohli's) debut 2008.

Complete record:
Kohli:

Innings 171
not outs 25
runs 7755
hs 183
avg 53.11
balls faced 8544
strike rate 90.76
100s 27
50s 39

abd:

Innings 207
not outs 38
runs 9175
hs 162*
avg 54.28
balls faced 9160
strike rate 100.16
100s 24
50s 52

kohli, like abd give him head start into 3 years experience( in his case it should be after 2012)

kohli since 2012(given 3 years jump)

innings 85
not outs 13
runs 3892
hs 154*
avg 54.05
balls faced 4083
strike rate 95.32
100s 14
50s 18

meanwhile abd record since 2008(after 3 years of his debut)

innigns 145
not outs 32
runs 7137
hs 162*
avg 63.15
balls faced 6791
strike rate 105.09
100s 21
50s 40

this is not even a competition, abd squashes vk thoroughly, it gets worse as years go by: You can choose any year after 2008, whether since 2012, 2009 or 2013 the gap gets bigger as abd avg climbs up with the years and sr goes up to 115!

So the only excuse i'll give you is of a deterred cricket knowledge
k