• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Long Tom

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Long Tom

In this feature Martin remembers one of the leading English batsmen from his childhood, and one of his favourites; 'Long' Tom Graveney

SeamUp

International Coach
Thanks Fred.

I brought it up on another thread re Voges but it really is interesting way cricket was back in the day when players carried on into their 40s and successfully (some were re introduced from the wilderness)and it doesnt happen so much now. Professionalism and too much competition for places but when you look at an example like Voges can we say he couldnt deal with extra pace and spin at his age of 35? A number of batsman did back in the day.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
The article touches briefly on Graveney's commentary... I can't honestly remember much about it beyond his distinctive accent, but most of the references I've seen to it are pretty dismissive, along the lines of "Lovely bloke, but never had anything interesting to say" - is that a fair opinion?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I certainly don't recall him ever being as forthright as Bailey and Trueman, which I guess is why he was moved sideways on to the tellybox, and like you I remember the accent and the relaxed style and not a lot else - I think he must have mellowed a lot after he retired as it seems pretty clear he was not a man to be messed with in his younger days