• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Auction

brockley

International Captain
Lot of players released.
Wonder who will be reberthed,or miss out.
And who will be the new names.
February 4th the auction,always love following it.:D

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man guys like Kulkarni picking up $400k wtf. Definitely pays to be an Indian fast bowler in the IPL

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I fell like the franchises are doing a better job at retaining the right overseas players. Is there a list of players available to be bid on yet? I'm curious to see this and the reserve prices for everyone.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised Mumbai let go of Guptill. Must you retain players at the same price you got them for?

brockley

International Captain
I gather a list will come out in the next week,auction in 2 weeks.
Yes Daemon,,Guptil was on a smallish contract.
Don't think players cut in previous years get called up.
Big Bash getting more fussy now,like IPL.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Is this where the players walk out and there is a bunch of millionaires bidding on them? I saw a clip of this in Death of a Gentleman and it was probably the most hideous spectacle I've ever seen in cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is this where the players walk out and there is a bunch of millionaires bidding on them? I saw a clip of this in Death of a Gentleman and it was probably the most hideous spectacle I've ever seen in cricket.
Wait, you don't like T20? I'd never have guessed...

S.Kennedy

Wait, you don't like T20? I'd never have guessed...
Hmm, it is my least favourite format but I actually attend the games because they are part of my membership, and did watch the world t20 on tv and rather enjoyed it. I loath the IPL. Every year I make an attempt to watch it and just get bored basically. The boundary (or 'maximum' as it is called) has no value now; it is not even entertaining to watch somebody, Gayle or somebody, hit a boundary over long-on. And all of the players seem to switch teams at a whim - how many franchises has Pietersen played for now? - so I end up confused and not knowing who to route for. Throw in the cheerleaders, matchfixing and there is little to like about it. The names of the teams are hysterical. What is it, Rising Super Giants Hyderabad or some bollocks haha?

The Bash I've never watched in all honesty. I've heard it is more family friendly affair and ran by CA so avoids the match fixing and politics that the IPL has. Fair enough if you like it but I cannot believe thousands turn up for this and not a few more for the Shield stuff.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hmm, it is my least favourite format but I actually attend the games because they are part of my membership, and did watch the world t20 on tv and rather enjoyed it. I loath the IPL. Every year I make an attempt to watch it and just get bored basically. The boundary (or 'maximum' as it is called) has no value now; it is not even entertaining to watch somebody, Gayle or somebody, hit a boundary over long-on. And all of the players seem to switch teams at a whim - how many franchises has Pietersen played for now? - so I end up confused and not knowing who to route for. Throw in the cheerleaders, matchfixing and there is little to like about it. The names of the teams are hysterical. What is it, Rising Super Giants Hyderabad or some bollocks haha?

The Bash I've never watched in all honesty. I've heard it is more family friendly affair and ran by CA so avoids the match fixing and politics that the IPL has. Fair enough if you like it but I cannot believe thousands turn up for this and not a few more for the Shield stuff.
You mean more people will turn up to a 4 hour game after work hours to see a guaranteed result with international stars, than to a 4 day match that takes place mostly through the workday? It's almost as if that's the concept of the format.

S.Kennedy

You mean more people will turn up to a 4 hour game after work hours to see a guaranteed result with international stars, than to a 4 day match that takes place mostly through the workday? It's almost as if that's the concept of the format.
That is why I said ''a few more''.

Didn't the Australian T20 consist of the state teams originally?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Shield games are great to go to but there no surprise they don't get much of a crowd. Hours arent exactly workday friendly. The day-night shield games did okay iirc.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
That is why I said ''a few more''.

Didn't the Australian T20 consist of the state teams originally?
The difference between Shield and BBL can be, off the top of my head, measured in tens of thousands. You'd think more people would go to Shield games for the quality of cricket or whatever (less so than the incredible quality of players in the late 90s and early 2000s) but there are more reasons than that. A lot of which is to do with timing.

Yes and after a review they decided franchise would be better. And it's been great guns ever since.