• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Alternate Futures Draft 1.0

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In this draft, your predictive abilities and lady luck shall be responsible for the players you get.

At the start of each round, two things will happen. First, I will provide two lists of players, a "good" list and a "bad" list. Second, drafters will be paired off.

Within each pair, the drafters ask each other a question which relates to an ongoing cricket match or a match that will start within 24 hours. It could be any international or domestic game from any format. The question must be asked within 12 hours of the beginning of each round as announced by me.

The question will be along the lines of: Do you think Player X will score/take more than or less than Y runs/wickets? or Do you think Team A will score/take more than or less than Y runs/wickets? or Do you think the margin of victory will be more than or less than Y runs/wickets? or ............... you get the drift.

You have to provide an answer within 12 hours of the question having been asked. If you get the answer right, you get to pick the player of your choice from the good list (and the good list only). If you get it wrong, the other guy gets to pick a player for you from the bad list (and the bad list only). Make your pick as early as possible but the next round will usually begin in a few hours after all the answers have been verified. If you or your pair haven't made a pick within 12 hours of your answer having been verified, I reserve the right to take it upon myself to make the selection.

There will be no order. The rounds will be conducted simultaneously for all pairs. I will provide an adequate amount of buffer players in each list for there to be enough options wrt team strategy and such.

We need an even number of drafters.

Feel free to give pointers as to how to make this a better draft.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If several people win how do they determine the order to pick or can they pick immediately when their individual result has finished?

I'm in.

harsh.ag

If several people win how do they determine the order to pick or can they pick immediately when their individual result has finished?
Pick immediately or as soon as possible after you answer is verified. Same goes for the other guy making the pick for you in case your answer is wrong.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Will we need a way to ensure questions retain the flavor of being reasonably predictive? Or is it ok if members get inventive with the questions to ensure their pair is more likely to pick the bad one?

Last edited by a moderator:

harsh.ag

Will we need a way to ensure questions retain the flavor of being reasonably predictive? Or is it ok if members get inventive with the questions to ensure their pair is more likely to pick the bad one?
Well, all questions should have probabilities/expected values attached to them is all.

Edited your post by mistake earlier.

Edit: Question can't be a straight up "How many runs/wickets will Player X score/take in this innings?"

It can, however, go like this: "Of the following three intervals, which one do you think Player X's score will fall on?" a) 0-50 b) 50-100 c) 100+

Three is the maximum allowed number of intervals for such questions. And those three intervals must exhaust the spectrum of possibilities. For example, the three intervals for number of wickets can't be: a) 0-1 b) 1-2 c) 2-3. The full 0-10 must be covered in the three intervals. The intervals don't have to be of the same sizes. That discretion belongs to you.

Also putting this up in OP.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm in. Pretty much latching on to any draft that moves here, but this one promises to be unique.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well, all questions should have probabilities/expected values attached to them is all.

Edited your post by mistake earlier.

Edit: Question can't be a straight up "How many runs/wickets will Player X score/take in this innings?"

It can, however, go like this: "Of the following three intervals, which one do you think Player X's score will fall on?" a) 0-50 b) 50-100 c) 100+

Three is the maximum allowed number of intervals for such questions. And those three intervals must exhaust the spectrum of possibilities. For example, the three intervals for number of wickets can't be: a) 0-1 b) 1-2 c) 2-3. The full 0-10 must be covered in the three intervals. The intervals don't have to be of the same sizes. That discretion belongs to you.

Also putting this up in OP.
I reckon all questions should have to be yes/no like in LMS.

That way you know someone won't ask 'will Eoin Morgan score exactly 327 runs in the next ODI' as the answer is obviously no. People will try and keep it even.

harsh.ag

Okay, more votes please. Yes/No (which basically means two intervals) or three intervals or both?