• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn Maxwell - polarising figure

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Was driving yesterday and listening to the ODI on the radio. When Maxwell went out, whoever was commentating on ABC radio said something along the lines of "well, he's gone, social media will start buzzing now with questions about his place in the team blah blah"

Now I know that they have to fill airtime, but seriously, the guy had just made 60, arrested a slump, taken his team from 5-78 to 6-160, and ultimately put his team in a position to build a proper score and win.

For the life of me I can't figure out why the guy doesn't get more respect as a cricketer. His FC average is superior to everyone who has been tried at 6 in the test side this summer (bar Cartright who's only played 17 FC games). He is a better than handy bowler, and one of the absolute elite fielders.

And finally, I find it weird that people say "he tries to be too funky etc". I mean, if you go out edging a quick to second slip trying to play a cover drive, that's ok, but if you reverse sweep and top edge it's not? Weird double standard.

anil1405

International Captain
People visualize him as a top gear player and expect him to be consistent at it. If he tries to play for the team and slows down by his standards he is accused of trying to be someone else and when he is inconsistent he is slammed for being irresponsible.

It comes with the reputation that these big hitters carry I suppose.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I was listening then as well. They definitely have a point, particularly with the way he's treated by different sections of the media. His knock yesterday was crucial in its pace for giving Wade that extra time to get in and build his innings as well.
I'm pretty sure they were talking about Maxi's comments on batting behind Wade as well in FC at one stage. While Wade made more runs yesterday, I still think Maxwell's a better bat

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
In England we see him - Finch also -as T20 globe-trotters. The two come over and play The Blast. This is probably unfair as I know politics/selection has kept him out of the test team.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
When he is on song he pulls off the same audacious shots De Villiers has mastered, but when he tries to play 'proper' his technique obviously isn't nearly good enough to be a genuine top player.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When he is on song he pulls off the same audacious shots De Villiers has mastered, but when he tries to play 'proper' his technique obviously isn't nearly good enough to be a genuine top player.
This is pretty much the exact opposite of the truth

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, that's just your opinion man.

Honestly, I've only ever seen him look like a complete fool when asked to play a proper innings, or go berserk and play the most audacious shots imaginable.

TheJediBrah

Well, that's just your opinion man.

Honestly, I've only ever seen him look like a complete fool when asked to play a proper innings, or go berserk and play the most audacious shots imaginable.
Not at all, just the facts. If he played "properly" he'd probably average 50 with a strike-rate of 100 but he's too stupid and he gets out virtually every single innings playing a stupid big shot because he's bored and stupid.

Basically the opposite of what you said.

Blocky

Banned
Is he really that polarising? Everyone thinks he's a prick with talent who can't apply it properly.

TheJediBrah

Is he really that polarising? Everyone thinks he's a prick with talent who can't apply it properly.
pretty much tbh. Where he's polarising is whether or not (or to what extent) people think he's worth selecting/investing in.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Not at all, just the facts. If he played "properly" he'd probably average 50 with a strike-rate of 100 but he's too stupid and he gets out virtually every single innings playing a stupid big shot because he's bored and stupid.

Basically the opposite of what you said.
He'll average high 30s and nothing more.

Burgey

But you just said he'd average 50?

Also, learn the difference between facts and opinions.
He said he'd average 50 if he put his head down and applied himself, but because he won't do that he won't average anything like it.

Learn to comprehend before being a ****.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing is I don't think he's a douche at all. He strikes me as a nice guy who is perhaps a little too honest at times. I genuinely think that the reason people perceive him as a douche is the way he bats he seems egotistical and Wade's nick name for him doesn't help but he strikes me as more of a misunderstood type than an egotistical douche.

Victor Ian

International Coach
It is just the State of things. If he can ever make it to NSW he will be selected in all three formats and become captain and everyone will love him.