• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quickest bowlers of all-time by nation

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of curiosity I thought I'd start this thread to see if we can come to any kind of consensus on which bowler was the quickest for their particular country.

Some of these choices are easier than others, for example, I don't think Sri Lanka have ever produced a bowler as fast as Lasith Malinga. Ditto for NZ & Shane Bond.

Pakistan have Shoaib Akhtar, although someone might be able to make a case for the two W's or Imran being quicker.

India would probably be a toss up between Kapil Dev, Amar Singh & Mohammad Nissar. However, from what I've seen, Varun Aaron & Umesh Yadav can be quite quick on their day.

Australia have Jeff Thomson, but then again Shaun Tait, Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson & of course Ray Lindwall were no slouches. And what about Ernie Jones?

South Africa is a real tough one, hard to split Adcock, Steyn & Donald IMO. Brett Schultz is a dark horse.

England, even tougher, what with Trueman, Tyson, Larwood, Kotright & Snow just a few names who could be considered.

Who is Bangladesh's fastest ever bowler? Mashrafe Mortaza? What about Zimbabwe?

And finally, the million dollar question, which fire-breathing dragon from Babylon was the quickest? This is question that I've never heard a definitive answer for. Francis, Martindale, Constantine, Hall, Griffith, Gilchrist, Holder, Clarke, Roberts, Croft, Holding, Garner, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Patterson. Even guys from recent times such as Fidel Edwards deserve attention.

Of course I've more than likely missed some big names here, I'd like to hear what people here on the forum think!

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa is a real tough one, hard to split Adcock, Steyn & Donald IMO. Brett Schultz is a dark horse.
I remember Mfuneko Ngam and Marchant De Lange being scarily fast against NZ.

As for Bangladesh, I think both Rubel and Taskin are quicker than Mashrafe.

Daemon

Interesting fact about most SL quicks is that their bowling average is usually the same as their speed in mph

cnerd123

likes this
India's got a ton of really fast bowlers, almost all of whom who broke down and ended up being no good. Tinu Yohannan, Yo Mahesh, early Nehra, early Zak, even Munaf Patel. And thats just off the top of my head.

Now we have Umesh and Aaron as two guys capable of hitting 95 mph/150 kmph

Rubel and Mohammed Sharif are the quickest from BD's history I think

Zimbabwe had Henry Olonga.

OverratedSanity

India's got a ton of really fast bowlers, almost all of whom who broke down and ended up being no good. Tinu Yohannan, Yo Mahesh, early Nehra, early Zak, even Munaf Patel. And thats just off the top of my head.

Now we have Umesh and Aaron as two guys capable of hitting 95 mph/150 kmph

Rubel and Mohammed Sharif are the quickest from BD's history I think

Zimbabwe had Henry Olonga.
Early srinath was really rapid too

morgieb

Australia: Thomson
England: Tyson
India: Srinath?
New Zealand: Bond?
Pakistan: Shoaib (though Zahid would have pushed it with a better body I suspect)
South Africa: probably Donald, especially given we didn't see him in his early 20's when he might have been at his quickest
Sri Lanka: Malinga
West Indies: several, I feel like Holding might be the standout though it's hard to call.
Zimbabwe: Olonga?
Bangladesh: Rubel probably

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Early srinath was really rapid too
Yes, of course, Srinath was impressively quick in his early years. Possibly recieved extra motivation from opening the bowling with Kapil.

I remember early on in their Test years Zimbabwe had a quick in David Brain, could he possibly be compared to Olonga?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's probably Frank Tyson, but I think the fastest recorded speed by an englishmen is actually a Darren Gough delivery

Burgey

Australia: Thomson - yep
England: Tyson - yep, or Larwood
India: Srinath? -reckon Nostrils has him covered
New Zealand: Bond? - yep
Pakistan: Shoaib (though Zahid would have pushed it with a better body I suspect) - yep
South Africa: probably Donald, especially given we didn't see him in his early 20's when he might have been at his quickest - maybe - Le Roux a good shout, Adcock was supposedly very quick in his day too
Sri Lanka: Malinga - yep
West Indies: several, I feel like Holding might be the standout though it's hard to call. maybe. Patrick Paterson was really, really quick. So was a young Ian Bishop, Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith too.
Zimbabwe: Olonga? - probably. Dunno
Bangladesh: Rubel probably - Wouldn't know.
Thomson is the fastest bowler I've seen, but given the lack of proper speed guns in his playing days, it's a bit subjective really.

Burgey

Yes, of course, Srinath was impressively quick in his early years. Possibly recieved extra motivation from opening the bowling with Kapil.

I remember early on in their Test years Zimbabwe had a quick in David Brain, could he possibly be compared to Olonga?
Don't remember David Brain being that quick tbh. Thought he was at or around Streak's pace.

Zinzan

Australia: Thomson
England: Tyson
India: Srinath?
New Zealand: Bond?
Pakistan: Shoaib (though Zahid would have pushed it with a better body I suspect)
South Africa: probably Donald, especially given we didn't see him in his early 20's when he might have been at his quickest
Sri Lanka: Malinga
West Indies: several, I feel like Holding might be the standout though it's hard to call.
Zimbabwe: Olonga?
Bangladesh: Rubel probably
Mostly agree..here's their fastest recorded speeds I could find

Aust - Lee 161.1 /Tait 161.1 /Thommo 160.6
England - Tyson - na
India - Srinath - 155.1
Pakistan - Akhtar – 161.3
SA - Steyn - 156.2 Brett Schultz - na
NZ - Bond - 156.4
West Indies - Andy Roberts - 159.5
Sri Lanka - Malinga - na
Zim - Streak - na
Bangers - Rubel - na

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
According to unconfirmed sources Ajit Agarkar from India was timed at 147kph against Australia in 1999/00.

Daemon

I reckon for India it could potentially be Nissar. Numerous people say he was the quickest they've ever seen, even faster than Larwood.

But of course it was in the 30s so he was probably bowling at 120.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
I did an umpiring course a few years ago presented by a long-standing domestic umpire in SA and in his opinion Procter was the fastest of the Saffers he ever stood to. That would include Donald and Adcock, among others.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Mostly agree..here's their fastest recorded speeds I could find

Aust - Lee 161.1 /Tait 161.1 /Thommo 160.6
England - Tyson - na
India - Srinath - 155.1
Pakistan - Akhtar – 161.3
SA - Steyn - 156.2 Brett Schultz - na
NZ - Bond - 156.4
West Indies - Andy Roberts - 159.5
Sri Lanka - Malinga - na
Zim - Streak - na