• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan vs Rahul Dravid

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm not so sure of the no contest part. Dravid played 50 odd % more games for less than 50 odd % more runs. Khan tonned up far more often. I think Dravid is viewed through rose coloured glasses because he was awesome and not Tendulkar, but Khan is also awesome and not Tendulkar.

Dravid got to play in easy times with a phenomenal batting line up that allowed him to bat forever, be slow and boring and just accumulate. Khan had to play in teams that threw games, amidst turmoil and rarely playing at home.

Khan is a batting monster in a team of bowling gods. Dravid is a batting monster in a team of batting Gods. I think Khan might actually be better.

smash84

The Tiger King
It's mighty close. Younis has done a fair bit of hard work in the last 5 years and has really come up the ranks. If Younis does well on this tour of Aus/Nz coming up he will probably shade it for mine. For now Dravid has his nose ahead imo

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dravid got to play in easy times with a phenomenal batting line up that allowed him to bat forever, be slow and boring and just accumulate. Khan had to play in teams that threw games, amidst turmoil and rarely playing at home.
Without checking any figures I think this is kinda backward, ongoing memories of Dravid is is of him being the only one to stand up when India toured and then not being especially relevant when they piled up runs at home. Then Younis has built his last 5 years on being part of a huge middle order and getting millons of runs with them on flat tracks in the UAE.

They're both gun but if I had to pick one to bat alone in a tough spot I'd go Dravid.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I think Dravid scores many points for being an awesome bloke. I'f I'm not mistaking my Younis - he is an awesome bloke too.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I'm not so sure of the no contest part. Dravid played 50 odd % more games for less than 50 odd % more runs. Khan tonned up far more often. I think Dravid is viewed through rose coloured glasses because he was awesome and not Tendulkar, but Khan is also awesome and not Tendulkar.

Khan is a batting monster in a team of bowling gods. Dravid is a batting monster in a team of batting Gods. I think Khan might actually be better.
Lol, what? Around 2008, Dravid used to be averaging around 56 or something in tests and was legit being considered to be an ATG because he was so much better than almost every test bat playing at that time. His career did not wind down and come to a close very well imo. But Younis Khan is also awesome, like you said and so I am not sure I will be able to say anything against him or argue against the other points you raised.

Yeah its close but Dravid has played more memorable knocks.

Victor Ian

International Coach
one period does not make a player great, or Vogues is the best ever. Dravid is great, and, being honest, I don't know much about Khan. Is the UAE really just roads? Is this the same argument as Sri Lankan roads, where it's a road when they bat but a minefield when the tourists bat?

Howe_zat

Audio File
one period does not make a player great, or Vogues is the best ever. Dravid is great, and, being honest, I don't know much about Khan. Is the UAE really just roads? Is this the same argument as Sri Lankan roads, where it's a road when they bat but a minefield when the tourists bat?
It's distinct. There's no bounce or humidity in the air and conditions never change. That suits a lot of Pakistan's players (or at least the ones they've been picking since 2010).

What's notable is that Younis has succeeded as part of a 4-man batting lineup for pretty much all his success in the last 5 years. He is the best of them, but his career would look very different without the success of Azhar Ali, Misbah and Shafiq around him. That's essentially what you associated with Dravid which is why I thought you had it the wrong way around.

5/6 years don't make a career in this case, true. It certainly does for some good cricketers but more to the point, no one would have started this thread without Younis' runs after his 2010 recall.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Younis had Inzi and Yousuf for a long time. Then he was dropped for a while, right? That's when they had Umar Akmal, Shoaib Malik, and a young Azhar Ali, I think.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I admit - that whole paragraph was the troll in me trying to get a rise. Dravid has more noticeable knocks for me - like the one that stopped Australia at 16 consecutive wins - and Dravid has said more things that I have appreciated. Unfortunately, I have never seen Khan (that I remember). Sadly, Pakistan does not come here often and Australia does not go there enough. Cricinfo stats aside, I am unqualified to pick between the two. I was surprised by how Khan's stats stacked up.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid for me, not saying Younis isn't a great player but Dravid was a bloody great player and you don't get the nickname he had for nothing.