• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Something to make Kiwis smile

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
on Steyn said:
You'd have to take the man at his word. He's done the job before on us and he's not ranked number one ODI bowler for nothing.
He's never been ranked #1 ODI bowler. Ghost writer really dropped the ball there, but it's good to see Behardien has a gig outside of cricket he can fall back on.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
McCullum has really gone to town on Taylor. Pretty awkward stuff to read. Wonder how it will impact the currently struggling Taylor's frame of mind?

indiaholic

International Captain
He's never been ranked #1 ODI bowler. Ghost writer really dropped the ball there, but it's good to see Behardien has a gig outside of cricket he can fall back on.
Genuinely did not know that. I was certain that he was ranked number one some time in 2013.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Eleven runs off five balls. Grant can't do better than a single off Steyn's second ball, so Dan's back on strike. Ten runs off four balls. Steyn needs treatment for a calf injury, which prolongs the agony for me and forty thousand others at the ground and countless millions glued to their TV sets around the world. I'm in my usual position in the dunnies at the back of the dressing room, smoking and listening to the crowd.
The atmosphere in the changing room after that loss at Galle was awful, and I picked up a fair bit of animosity towards Ross. The team was finally imploding. I decided things had had gone far enough and asked Ross to come to the dunnies out the back with me.
What I gathered from this is that McCullum does all his life's most important works in the dunnies out the back.

Howsie

International Captain
From what I've been told the period between 2008 and 2011 was just pure hell in the New Zealand set up. Vettori and his mates pretty much run the show, dictated who made squads, how practice was run, when and how often they trained. There was absolutely no need for coaching or even a decent management team in those players eyes. Bullying was rife too which sounds stupid when it comes to grown men but unfortunately that was the case. I'm sure nobody here forgets Williamson (he wasn't officially named but it was him) being ripped on for wanting to train too hard. The culture was just ****ing toxic.

Taylor was never a favourite between Vettori and his gang, no wonder he struggled when he took over.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
From what I've been told the period between 2008 and 2011 was just pure hell in the New Zealand set up. Vettori and his mates pretty much run the show, dictated who made squads, how practice was run, when and how often they trained. There was absolutely no need for coaching or even a decent management team in those players eyes. Bullying was rife too which sounds stupid when it comes to grown men but unfortunately that was the case. I'm sure nobody here forgets Williamson (he wasn't officially named but it was him) being ripped on for wanting to train too hard. The culture was just ****ing toxic.

Taylor was never a favourite between Vettori and his gang, no wonder he struggled when he took over.
I remember a clip on cricket company or the cricket show or something during Vettori'a captaincy. It was dressing room footage of a post match team meeting. It seemed to mainly consist of everyone into the team ripping into everyone else and telling each other why they were so crap.

It looked terrible ... a total hate fest dressed up as constructive criticism.

So I can't say based on that I'm surprised to hear how bad the culture was at that time. Well, it was pretty obvious through results and on field performances, too.

A bit of a shame it's all been dredged up again, by McCullum, who from the outside seemed to do such a good job of turning it around.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I guess that's why there wasn't much fan fare around Vettori leaving the captaincy at what I thought was earlier than expected? I can't remember exactly, if it was all down to injuries but maybe people had enough of him?

Flem274*

123/5
vettori being a dick isn't too surprising. im sure this will be passed off as taylor fanboying but bond tries pretty hard to give vettori a favourable look in his book (this was before all the bull**** with the captaincy too) and honestly, reading about vettori's antics i thought he came across as an annoying bloke who flaunted he was hot ****. i didn't really want to believe it though so i put it aside.

wish all our batsmen had vettori's balls though.

Flem274*

123/5
He sensed Hesson's frustration with Taylor. It got worse after the 10-wicket Galle defeat when McCullum confronted Taylor.
"Hey Ross, sorry I holed out on the boundary to Herath's bowling the over before stumps lol (I still remember that shot because I am a boring person) but I need to tell you off"
"I said to him 'this is your effin' team, mate. You need to grab it by the scruff of the neck and I will help you along the way, otherwise we're going to lose our way completely'. Ross was standing, leaning against the window. He had this expression on his face, again difficult to read. Again, he said nothing
tbf if ever there was an innings played by a New Zealand skipper that ever said "You're all ****, so follow me you pricks and I'll win this by myself" it was Ross in the second test so he kind of did just this.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From the sounds of things you'd think Rosco (kiwibloc probably knows better tbh) was given the captaincy just for being the leading batsman at the time rather than for reasons of leadership acumen. McCullum has painted him as absolutely apathetic introvert, you could make a captain out of the latter by itself maybe, but really that's the worst combo imaginable.

I can't wait for guys in the current lineup when their careers are done to write all this juice about how ruthless and stone cold Kane's captaincy was years down the track.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
From the sounds of things you'd think Rosco (kiwibloc probably knows better tbh) was given the captaincy just for being the leading batsman at the time rather than for reasons of leadership acumen. McCullum has painted him as absolutely apathetic introvert, you could make a captain out of the latter by itself maybe, but really that's the worst combo imaginable.

I can't wait for guys in the current lineup when their careers are done to write all this juice about how ruthless and stone cold Kane's captaincy was years down the track.
I think Taylor would've done better if John Wright had stayed on as coach. The team wasn't happy, but while Wright was there at least there was a strong figure to support Taylor and help him with the man management side of things. In retrospect, once Wright decided he'd had enough of getting dicked around by the NZC for one life time, there was always a risk that things were going to come apart quite quickly.

Will be interesting to hear Guptill and KW's spin on things in a decade's time.

Last edited: