• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

an idea: a draft of non-cricketers

Shady Slim

International Coach
ok so it's a bit of a less serious draft idea but this is an expression of interest thread, would any of you sign up for a draft where the only restriction is you can't pick people who are pro cricketers?

it's more a bit of a laugh and getting creative - am happy to debate the rules

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
See for NZ as an example, basically their whole side prior to 1990 with the exception of Howarth, Hadlee, Crowe, Wright & Turner were amateurs, whereas I'm pretty sure all Aust international cricketers were professionals from the 1970s. This may be tricky to establish. What were you thinking in terms of criteria? Not playing English county cricket? Not having a central country contract?

Shady Slim

International Coach
was going to come in and say "mark craig is available since there's no way he's a professional cricketer"

but like I'd say it'd be no internationals or people who've played a FC/LA/T20 game (so they wouldn't have a cricinfo)

along with a general gentleman's or gentlewoman's agreement not to pick any cricketers who bend the rules because it's against the spirit of the draft

also think that softballers and baseball ears should probably be banned because then everyone's top six would be softballers and baseballers

Camo999

State 12th Man
This could be awesome. I'm in if it happens. I'm thinking teams comprising celebrities who have barely heard of cricket with perhaps a few people from other sports thrown in who might have been decent juniors.

Shady Slim

International Coach
yeah that's the general idea, again with the gentleman's agreement it's basically "everyone calls you out on being a dick if you choose the greatest cricketer ever from before country cricket" or something