• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever Short Leg

Best ever short leg

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Victor Ian

International Coach
Who is the greatest ever short leg fielder.

For the sake of this thread, I will accept consideration of the short 'other side of leg' position too.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
From an Aust perspective, probably Boonie.

But Ponting could do some freakish stuff at short extra cover or whatever it's called.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously Boon. He was on another planet there.. No fear probably the main reason which I'm sure was a function of all the extra padding.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Boon doesn't belong in that montage for impossible catches. All catches were possible for Boonie.

So, has anyone suggested an alternative to the title. Is it really so cut and dried?

Aknath Solkar? Who is that? Nah - he doesn't count. Boonie has no rivals, so I can't see how he can be a rival.

Victor Ian

International Coach
So we've got Boonie, and we've got Solkar.

Is this all there is with respects to great close in fielders? Is it rare for players to make this position their own, being 'silly' and all.

Didn't Langer have a stint there? Did Slater? Who else is great in this position. There can not be just two.

Burgey

Jimmy Adams was superb, Gus Logie too. Though tbf Logie was exceptional everywhere.

OverratedSanity

Probably Solkar. Didn't sobers field at short leg too?

Ian Bell was pretty great there among the more recent players. Bavuma has been pretty incredible in the few tests he's played so far as well.

Last edited:

Burgey

I think Sobers fielded at leg slip to Gibbs a fair bit rather than short leg but I'm not that sure

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Among the ones I have seen, Akash Chopra :) But yeah, I do remember Boon being awesome there. So at least post 80s, he's probably been the best.