• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Australia's new junior rules

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Interesting to see that Cricket Australia is pushing towards a large change in junior rules, that I'd imagine will be pushed out nationwide in a year or two.

Revised junior formats aim to attract and keep Australian kids in cricket | Cricket Australia

Greg Chappell told to take his hands off 2nd XI cricket, so now pushes onto junior development.

I'd like to have seen it trialled a bit more widely before having it imposed on all competitions.

EDIT: saw at the bottom a list of associations that are trialling it. Oops. Makes more sense.

There's a lot of logic in some of the rule changes, especially in the early years. A lot of issues in our U10 - U12 stem from using artificial wickets that bounce too much, IMO. Some of these things will help stem those.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's not mentioned at any point whatsoever in there, but man from U14s up I would have loved for the opportunity to play some 20 over stuff during holidays or mid week, along with the normal stuff.

Spikey

Greg Chappell told to take his hands off 2nd XI cricket, so now pushes onto junior development.
btw this all ends with Chappell attempting to ban high density residential buildings throughout Australia #backyards

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
it's not mentioned at any point whatsoever in there, but man from U14s up I would have loved for the opportunity to play some 20 over stuff during holidays or mid week, along with the normal stuff.
Think this might be something that gets worked towards. Chappell is a huge push for games over training.

Burgey

Jeez I know some under 14 and 15 kids who could do serious damage with a 142g ball in their hand. Also wondering why they're wanting to limit 14-16 year to 40 and 50 over respectively. The kids have to bowl a mandatory 63 of a morning in our association as it stands.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
14yo kids with a 142 off 17m strikes me as utterly insane and legitimately dangerous.

Burgey

There's a kid played for Sutherland in the under 14 reps last year who's in the nsw squad and been clocked at 115kph already with a normal size ball.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
There's a kid played for Sutherland in the under 14 reps last year who's in the nsw squad and been clocked at 115kph already with a normal size ball.
Unsurprising really. Everybody knows that the Sutherland Shire is the dominant cricketing association.

Victor Ian

International Coach
How do you change the length of the pitch? Do they have special mats for games on mats, or extra sets of holes in the pitch, where the stumps go, for other games? Those holes could be dangerous. Unless they have grounds specific to each age I'd imagine this would cause pitch degradation with all those little nippers running in on what is probably the crease area for normal cricket.

Sounds dumb. How does this make anyone play the game who is not already playing the game? Sounds like someone has a job and chose to do something rather than nothing.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A full length pitch is fine for U14's, especially with the bounce of a matting wicket. We starting using a 156g in U14 and nobody had a problem with it.
And in my local area we used a full length pitch and 142 g ball from U11's to u13's
How do you change the length of the pitch?
I've seen u10's use plastic stumps, so I suspect you'd use those. They're not very good though, with a tendency to splay.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

At a cursory glance without having really read anything pertaining to the subject, I want to say that changing the length of the pitch is ****ing stupid

91Jmay

International Coach
I faced a kid in the nets who was being clocked around the 70mph mark when he was 13/14. Name is Aneesh Kapil and faded out of the game a bit now but he was an incredible junior prospect. Facing him as a 15 year old was legitimately terrifying and that was a full length pitch. Can't imagine facing the Brett Lee/Mitch Johnson of tomorrow would be much fun from 17 meters.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
14yo kids with a 142 off 17m strikes me as utterly insane and legitimately dangerous.
Top 13 and 14 year olds are mature and quality cricketers and don't need a smaller pitch. I think they have made a mistake there.

Absolutely agree with the under 10s having a small pitch. The batsman at that age never get to face any deliveries because everything is a wide or bounces twice.

Burgey

They already play under 10s off a shorter pith here. Agree it is a good idea

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Look the U14s vs Parramatta is not a fair reflection on the quality of the association as a whole. You can't expect any team, no matter how good an association they come from or how brilliant their individual players, to stand up to the intimidation that is sharing a field with Burgeinho (let alone being starstruck that Burgey was on the sidelines)!

Burgey

Both reasonable points, though he had a crap year last season and in that game was he third wicket in a hat trick. Was sawn off tbh by fair play to the kid who got it, he's the young bloke I mentored who bowls decent wheels for his age.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I'd be interested to know how these changes have been received and how widespread they've been implemented so far?