• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Rise to Number 1

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First time ever in this system. Well done.

Misbah - Pakistan's greatest captain? Would be very close between him and Imran at least.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is really funny because I don't consider this Pakistan team particularly strong

What was their peak ranking in the 90s when they possessed several ATGs?

smash84

The Tiger King
First time ever in this system. Well done.

Misbah - Pakistan's greatest captain? Would be very close between him and Imran at least.
Very close between them indeed. If now Misbah can eke out a victory in Aus then he should be the greatest.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is really funny because I don't consider this Pakistan team particularly strong

What was their peak ranking in the 90s when they possessed several ATGs?
I think they would've been 3rd for most of the 90's. Australia and the West Indies were ahead in the early 90's, South Africa and Australia for the late 90's. Think there would've been a fair chance they hit #2 though.

Interestingly though Pakistan would've #1 for two months back in 1988 under the current system.

fredfertang

This is excellent news - I hope it is not too far in the future that they can try and remain there playing in front of their own supporters

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pakistan cricket was at its lowest ebb after the last England tour and after the next one they stand at the top of the mountain how things change.

Credit should go to great men Misbah and Younis especially, this may not be a very long reign but as long as we are #1 it is bloody well earned.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Fantastic news for everyone involved in Pakistan cricket, a well-earned ranking for the team who have been almost unbeatable in the UAE in recent years & did so much better in England than most people expected them to.

viriya

International Captain
Particularly impressive when you consider that they haven't played at home in a long time..

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
#wedabest

Amazing feat for this team, really. I know it's become a bit of a meme that they're inconsistent and unpredictable over the few years, but this is the most consistent I've seen them perform in any one format in my time of watching cricket.

harsh.ag

I suspect they were the world's best side in the late 80s sometime as well. Hope they break out some Champagne (non-alcoholic, obvs) and go from strength to strength.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Incredible achievement considering the circumstances faced by the team - from not being able to play at home, to recovering from the low of the spotfixing scandal. One of my proudest possessions is an autographed bat of Team Pakistan that has been inked by Misbah and Younis. Misbah for President! (of every country).